IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get 4 tires mounted on my rotas for winter. The dumbasses at the "performance shop" mount 3 of the tires in the same direction. I go back and they swap one of the tires.

This was all pre-mounting. So now I have the tires/wheels on and the stockers off and the car is pulling to the left. Hmmm, curious. The jack-holes mounted the two tires with the most tread on the right side of the car.

So now I have to go back a third time for TIRES - AHHHHHHHHHHHH! Has the whole world gone crazy?! Anyone know a good shop with reasonable prices to mount and balance tires without scratching wheels in Pittsburgh?

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i knew a girl who bought "new" tires from this gas station. she told me that she got a good deal but that the car was'nt handling right. i took a look and it turned out she had 3 differant brand tires and two differant sizes. they did'nt even mount the differant size tires parallel. they staggered them so the car did'nt even sit level. what a mess.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crashsti said:
i knew a girl who bought "new" tires from this gas station. she told me that she got a good deal but that the car was'nt handling right. i took a look and it turned out she had 3 differant brand tires and two differant sizes. they did'nt even mount the differant size tires parallel. they staggered them so the car did'nt even sit level. what a mess.
Wow, that is pretty bad. I'd say mine is stupid and that is negligent : ) You have to think they knew what they were doing and just didn't care. What scumbags.

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i knew she was in for a bad time. i told her i would'nt even go to that place for the free air. she never did get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Singletrack said:
I went to get 4 tires mounted on my rotas for winter. The dumbasses at the "performance shop" mount 3 of the tires in the same direction. I go back and they swap one of the tires.

This was all pre-mounting. So now I have the tires/wheels on and the stockers off and the car is pulling to the left. Hmmm, curious. The jack-holes mounted the two tires with the most tread on the right side of the car.

So now I have to go back a third time for TIRES - AHHHHHHHHHHHH! Has the whole world gone crazy?! Anyone know a good shop with reasonable prices to mount and balance tires without scratching wheels in Pittsburgh?

-st
Ok so here's the conclusion for those of you tuning in : ) My friend and I go back there and I tell the guy that the car is pulling left and I measured the tread and the right side tires are much higher.

He immediately replies to that "I've never heard of a tire doing that before". (HUH?) So then he goes on, "I'll have someone test drive it blah blah". I said, "well I'd prefer if you just measure the tread, I don't think you will notice it, the steering is fairly tight." (They are on a backroad). He looked at me kind of funny so I just said, "look, just measure the treads and if they are ok by you than that is good enough for me." So he dissapears into the shop and one of the techs comes out and walks around the car with me. This guy immediately notices that the tread on the right is higher than the left. So they take the car in 15 minutes later.

An hour (yes hour later) the car is back out. Keep in mind that all they had to do was swap the left front and right rear tire. My friend and I look it over and everything looks fine. I thank the kid, shake his hand, and start to get in the car. Well who pops his head out but the store manager/owner, "hey, you have a bill in here!". I said, "What?". He replies, "What you think this was free, this isn't my fault." So at this point I'm about to go nuts. I calm myself perfectly and begin to speak, "You guys took these tires off my A6 and mismarked them, now you..." He interrupts, "You know what, just find someone else to work on your wheels." He then shuts the door and walks back in the shop. So at this point, I really don't care since I was never coming back anyway. But I do the mature thing and just start getting in my car.

Here's the capper though. The freakin' idiot forgot to give me back my adapter for the lugs on my rotas. If I hadn't caught it, I would have had to come back yet another time for the same damn tire mounting. I got the adapter from the kid and took off. Keep in mind they charge $150 to mount and balance 4 wheels/tires.

Shop info:

C and G Performance on Big Sewickley Creek in Sewickley PA off the Wexford exit of i79. The owner and person I was dealing with was Champ (Alan F. I believe). People in Pittsburgh, make your own decision if you ever want to deal with them.

-st

·
Registered
779 Posts
That sucks, its very hard to find a place that you can actually trust with your vehicle, unless you personally know them. I took my car a few weeks ago to NT&B to have one RE070 replaced. I purchased the tire from The Tire Rack, and just needed the tire mounted and ballanced. I give the guy the keys and had to show him how to put the car in reverse(he said its been awhile, i'm thinking whatever!). I watched him very closely and he winds down the window while he is pulling in and I notice he is hanging his head out the window and at the same time his grubby hand is leaning on the outside of the door. Friggin finger prints all over the outside of my door! After they get it inside, about 4 other workers are drooling over the car and tell the guy who pulled it on the rack to pop the hood. I'm thinking to myself, since when does a tire change require the friggin hood to be open? The one guy is holding the hood up while the others are peering over the engine and I notice they are a bit close to the front end and brushing up against the front clip. What is wrong with people? I don't think i'd leave my car unattended at any shop!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stiperformance said:
That sucks, its very hard to find a place that you can actually trust with your vehicle, unless you personally know them. I took my car a few weeks ago to NT&B to have one RE070 replaced. I purchased the tire from The Tire Rack, and just needed the tire mounted and ballanced. I give the guy the keys and had to show him how to put the car in reverse(he said its been awhile, i'm thinking whatever!). I watched him very closely and he winds down the window while he is pulling in and I notice he is hanging his head out the window and at the same time his grubby hand is leaning on the outside of the door. Friggin finger prints all over the outside of my door! After they get it inside, about 4 other workers are drooling over the car and tell the guy who pulled it on the rack to pop the hood. I'm thinking to myself, since when does a tire change require the friggin hood to be open? The one guy is holding the hood up while the others are peering over the engine and I notice they are a bit close to the front end and brushing up against the front clip. What is wrong with people? I don't think i'd leave my car unattended at any shop!
Yup - that is one of the reasons I have a silver car now. I was so sick of buffing out marks from idiots on my black car. Just touch it and it would scratch. I think I'm just going to try the dealer next time, who knows how that will go.

-st

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
psycho said:
Yukonart said:
Holy crap. . . $150 to mount and balance tires? :eek:
Exactly - WTF is that all about? I paid $60 the last time I had that done.
Even $60 is a bit high...I swap stock tires for winter ones and vice versa at a shop recommended by Tirerack...and they only charge me $40 each time! No hood opening, nothing like that (but maybe it's b/c it's just the regular WRX). AND they're quick. 15-20 minutes and I'm gone. They did mount one of the winter tires backwards but I caught it and they switched it back, but both times I've gone they've been real courteous.

·
Registered
858 Posts
if you have an AMERICAN TIRE shop in your area, they handle minor things like flat repair and like, for FREE.

their assumption is that when you need new stuff, you'd go back to them...

my mother had her flat tire repaired free and was very nice and apologetic to her (they took slightly longer)...

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Can some one give me a ride?

I think it'll be about $45 or so at my local Discount Tire. I'm lucky. . .the guys that work the one I go to really seem to know their stuff. I've never had a problem there. . . and that's after buying about 3 sets of wheels and 5 sets of tires. :D

ST, I'm sure the place you were going to was a performance shop, but it seems they were charging too much, anyway. Makes me wonder, though. . . if they are a performance shop, why wouldn't they have competent people working the garage? :x

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Silver STi Trunk Swap for OEM WRX wing and trunk

Is there any good reason you couldn't just get an airgun and a jack and switch out your own tires?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I think the main reason he went there was for the mounting and balancing of the tires to the rims.

But yeah. . . I just got the new Craftsman aluminum floor jack, and I've got all the tools I'll ever need (including a good torque wrench) to swap out my Rotas for the BBSs when I'm ready to do some autocrossing. So long as you don't have have tires pulled from rims, my best advice is swap things out yourself. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you had Les Schwab(West, West coast), they are very good at customer service. I bought SDR wheels but bought the tires from them. They let me drive the car in the shop and hang around, then drive it back out. I like that...no outsiders on the inside.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yukonart said:
I think it'll be about $45 or so at my local Discount Tire. I'm lucky. . .the guys that work the one I go to really seem to know their stuff. I've never had a problem there. . . and that's after buying about 3 sets of wheels and 5 sets of tires. :D

ST, I'm sure the place you were going to was a performance shop, but it seems they were charging too much, anyway. Makes me wonder, though. . . if they are a performance shop, why wouldn't they have competent people working the garage? :x
You think that's bad, my local Audi shop wanted to charge me $200 to mount and balance 4 tires!!!! These people are crooks. The one time I took my BBS RCs (on my old car) to a local shop that was recommended, they ruined all 4. Looked like the guy took the wheels off with a crowbar. Then I had to wait over a month for replacements (paid for by the shop owner). I seem to have issues no matter where I take my car : (

As far as the competency goes, yeah I can't believe it. I basically went there to have them do basic crap to see if I could take my car there for more serious stuff. Guess I found out that isn't going to work ; )

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
coxSTI said:
If you had Les Schwab(West, West coast), they are very good at customer service. I bought SDR wheels but bought the tires from them. They let me drive the car in the shop and hang around, then drive it back out. I like that...no outsiders on the inside.
Never heard of them, thanks for the recommendation though. I think the local shops here are NTB and American Tire.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SnowbordrWRX said:
psycho said:
Yukonart said:
Holy crap. . . $150 to mount and balance tires? :eek:
Exactly - WTF is that all about? I paid $60 the last time I had that done.
Even $60 is a bit high...I swap stock tires for winter ones and vice versa at a shop recommended by Tirerack...and they only charge me $40 each time! No hood opening, nothing like that (but maybe it's b/c it's just the regular WRX). AND they're quick. 15-20 minutes and I'm gone. They did mount one of the winter tires backwards but I caught it and they switched it back, but both times I've gone they've been real courteous.
Yeah it's bull, but the going rate around here is a minimum of $25 a wheel at any sort of decent place. Last time I had them mounted for $60, they ruined all 4 wheels and they all vibrated badly ; (

-st

1 - 20 of 27 Posts