IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how to install my last gauge the Defi EGT. I see the instructions but nothing shows me how the gauge is going to stay in the hole that I drill into my driver side header? SOMEONE please help me thats all ready been down this road.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How it's going to stay in? After you drill the hole, you tap it (i.e. create threads). Then you screw the sensor in.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Tap it with a 1/8" NPT tap after your drill a 11/32 hole in the button of the header.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MadMan77 said:
Just make sure that you use the entire tap, i.e. all of the way into the hole. This is because the tap is tapered.
I understand now. Thanks guys. Just so you know, I was confused about how the sensor keeps from falling out not the threaded bolt and nut. The key is the conical washer that tightens up as you screw the nut into place. I was puting this together in my hands and was unable to tell that it would be okay once I crank down on the nut it would start to crush the washer holding the sensor in place.

Thanks for the reply's though, I am good to go with my $1,000 gauges finally....:D:D:D:D:D

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
you gotta make sure the two little oring type things are inside of the one piece...when you tigten the bolt on the sensor, these o ring thingys lock onto the other piece.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smac said:
I understand now. Thanks guys. Just so you know, I was confused about how the sensor keeps from falling out not the threaded bolt and nut. The key is the conical washer that tightens up as you screw the nut into place. I was puting this together in my hands and was unable to tell that it would be okay once I crank down on the nut it would start to crush the washer holding the sensor in place.

Thanks for the reply's though, I am good to go with my $1,000 gauges finally....:D:D:D:D:D
Now that I am good to go with the install, I do have one more question. Where should I set the warning buzzer for this EGT gauge? What is too hot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
smac said:
Now that I am good to go with the install, I do have one more question. Where should I set the warning buzzer for this EGT gauge? What is too hot?

To reiterate, I guess I am asking what is to hot for my exhaust. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It really, really depends on who you ask, and even more so on how you drive. I know some folks that say 1700 is fine, and I hit that myself at peaks, but I wouldn't hold it there for long. Most would agree that 1600 is a generally safe top end. A road racing map should definitely shoot for the conservative side, while a daily driver map can probably get away with a bit higher temps since they aren't likely to be sustained.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts