IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a set of Sparco Chrono Road seats and after a long time working on a few issues with the SRS system I was able to get everything installed without any warning lights. However the Passenger Occupancy sensor does not detect anyone in the seat, this is because the sensor detects someone in it using capacitance kinda like how a touchscreen on a phone detects your fingers, and the sensor is too far away from the surface of the seat. Its installed under the cushion.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to either make the sensor work correctly, or force it to always detect someone in the seat?

Because of the design of the seats I have the sensor won't fit on top of the foam just below the surface material like the OEM seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
check if the circuit is open or closed when someone is on it and use a resistor in the sensor place to mimic which way it goes!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks like its using capacitance to measure the change. It may be doable but i'm not that informed on electrical systems like this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The sensor is much more complicated than that, its not measuring resistance to detect the change.

https://www.stanleysubaru.com/blog/...nt-detection-system-ods-work-in-my-subaru.htm

So you probably need to put a correctly sized capacitor in the system instead
of a resistor.

If it really is capacitive then it is probably using an AC signal that the cap passes better
when a suitably "wet" blob of goo is sitting on it (but not too wet).

My guess is the coupled AC signal is then rectified by the airbag control to a DC voltage that it then measured to trip the system on/off. The sensor itself could also be doing this.

Is the sensor itself 2 wires or 3 or more wires?

If 2 wires you could get a capacitance meter hook it up to the sensor and then sit on it.

If 3 wires it is probably returning a voltage.

Dave

·
Registered
430 Posts
mine only goes based on weight...placed a full rotor change on the passenger seat and it turned it on...but good direction with more knowledge on the system!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the solution in that video does not work for my seats because the cushion it too thick. I accidentally found a solution by laying the mat under the mounting bracket so that the front and the rear of the sensor is covered by metal. This in effect makes the car think there's always someone in the seat. To defeat the seat belt chime you can just leave the belt plugged in or use a belt buckle defeat device which is what I did.

·
Registered
264 Posts
To defeat the seat belt chime you can just leave the belt plugged in or use a belt buckle defeat device which is what I did.Image Link
Or do this:
HOW TO: Turn seat belt chime off all Subaru models - YouTube
Or this:
Turn off the Seat Belt Chime in your Subaru - YouTube
I've done the first one and it works. The only difference was that I kept the red button pressed down the entire time for all 20 clicks and then released it at the end and it worked fine. Simple and free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 wrx.
Any idea how to figure out the passanger weight sensor, doing a wrx sti swap? All the plugs are connected but cant recalibrate the weight sensor, Bosch and snap on scan tool say abnormal function and only show part number not showing advanced function option.

Before this i had to put the wrx airbags in the sti seats because the seat belt alert kept sounding even though seat belt was plugged in, could never know why seat belt was bugging out but stopped when put the wrx air bags in. So now the occupancy is a problem, i didnt think i needed to swap the weight sensor so gave my wrx seats away to someone. Anyway one 3 plugs coming from the car but 4 coming from the sti seat, could it be the heated seat plug? Nah because plug says cushion lol. It has 3 pins
I was thinking about putting a resistors on it but wondering why 4 plugs? Please see attached photo, any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Or do this:
HOW TO: Turn seat belt chime off all Subaru models - YouTube
Or this:
Turn off the Seat Belt Chime in your Subaru - YouTube
I've done the first one and it works. The only difference was that I kept the red button pressed down the entire time for all 20 clicks and then released it at the end and it worked fine. Simple and free.
To silence seatbelt buzzer (until the next time the car battery is disconnected or dies)

Turn the vehicle to the on position by either turning the key to the on (without starting it) or hitting the push to start button twice without touching the brake pedal or the clutch.

Buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt twenty (20) times in thirty (30) seconds. Hold the red button in with one hand and continuously reinsert the buckle quickly.

The seat belt chime is now disabled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yah i noticed that super cool post about seat belt chime, although i am trying to get important functions working properly since i may have the ability because the seat swap is oem, so i would appreciate if the seat belt gas stage charge and air bags are functional. So mon functional except would be for the passanger weight sensor since the seat cushion is not able to be plugged in?
wonder how the wrx seat cushion was able to be plugged in with only 3 and what the wrx under carpet seat cushion plug is doing plugged in to?

So I am guessing i didn't need to use the seat belt chime trick, because after swapping back the wrx air bags the chime went away, oh uah now that i remember the air bag light was always on as well before that change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts