Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I'm looking for opinions not offers.

I'm ready to sell. I will have a new project in the garage by summer (v8 twin turbo).

Dealer trade-in for this sti is very temping. $27K, no headaches, and I keep the stock parts.

Is my 2012 limited special?
I've checked marketplace place. Similar year and mod lists with higher miles look be in the $25k - $30k range. Does anything in the list below justify a higher price tag than (at best) netting $30K after the haggling and BS of a private sale is complete?

-36k miles
-No rust or damage
-$20k in parts listed in journal ($12k for stage 3)
-Pro-tune by Mike Botti @ EFI Logics (370whp / 350wtq @ 21 psi)
-All 7.5k dealer service records
-Last boost leak test: 35k miles
-Last compression test: 35k miles
-Last leak down test: 17k miles
-No track or launches
-Rarely driven in rain; minimal carwashes
-Never seen snow/salt/sand
-Always garaged and stored for winter

I read it bedtime stories, etc, etc.

Thanks!

My Member Journal

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
27K for an almost 10 year old car with mods. Sounds like a steal to me. Sell all your stock parts, oem downpipes now a days go for around 1K.
lololol youre kidding right? I'm family planning and don't intend on keeping mine forever.
If youre being serious I'll sell it today lol.

OP, I went with private trade. Unless you're insanely impatient or not worried about the ~3k, I would absolutely wait it out. The way I have always seen it, it's literally free money as long as you have patience. That is a really nice car, and I suspect you wont have much trouble selling it. Even if you dont get what you want for it, you have a good chance of it going to an enthusiast rather than a goofball with white oakleys at a dealership who will be posting here in 2 months about "will these wheels fit."
To me, that is worth every penny. Some things are priceless.
I see the other side though. It sure is nice to be stuck between two good decisions, huh? 🙂

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
lololol youre kidding right? I'm family planning and don't intend on keeping mine forever.

OP, I went with private trade. Unless you're insanely impatient or not worried about the ~3k, I would absolutely wait it out. The way I have always seen it, it's literally free money as long as you have patience. That is a really nice car, and I suspect you wont have much trouble selling it. Even if you dont get what you want for it, you have a good chance of it going to an enthusiast rather than a goofball with white oakleys at a dealership who will be posting here in 2 months about "will these wheels fit."
I see the other side though. It sure is nice to be stuck between two good decisions, huh? 🙂
Yup dead serious, some people of the facebook groups are buying oem catted downpipes for roughly 1K depending on the numbers on the cat. Not sure if thats everywhere but here in NJ its a hot item.

I totally understand your point of view on waiting it out and trying to get a little more. In my opinion, nothing is garanteed and things change quickly. That 27K quick easy money trade value sounds reall good to me. The right enthusiast and the right buyer isnt always the same person.

Yeah, its definitly nice to have too good options like this.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I can’t believe a dealer would offer $27k for your car on trade unless you are buying a new car from same dealer and they’re making it up on the price of the new car. Trade value for a 2012 limited with those miles is less than $20k and I would only expect to pay low $20ks for it retail In stock form. I don’t believe mods are ever calculated in trade value at a dealer unless it’s some sort of specialty or performance shop. You have a nice list of mods and if you part out you can probably get 50% of what you spent on actual parts, so maybe $4k$5k or so on your build. You have alot of labor and tunes in your spreadsheet which can’t be sold.

Did the dealer offer you the $27k after looking at your build sheet? That’s a great price even private party. I would take it. I personally dont want to sell car privately, deal with tire kickers, test drives, people with no money, coming back later if it breaks or something, etc.

Reactions: a5m

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
I'm ready to sell. I will have a new project in the garage by summer (v8 twin turbo).

Dealer trade-in for this sti is very temping. $27K, no headaches, and I keep the stock parts.

Is my 2012 limited special?
I've checked marketplace place. Similar year and mod lists with higher miles look be in the $25k - $30k range. Does anything in the list below justify a higher price tag than (at best) netting $30K after the haggling and BS of a private sale is complete?
  • Yes and yes , low milage and cared for.
  • Highly modded completely negates, except to someone else who wants something very close to what you are offering. For some, those whop who willing to pay top dollar, it make it a no-deal.

27K for an almost 10 year old car with mods. Sounds like a steal to me. Sell all your stock parts, oem downpipes now a days go for around 1K.
you have a good chance of it going to an enthusiast
I agree

nothing is garanteed and things change quickly. That 27K quick easy money trade value sounds reall good to me. The right enthusiast and the right buyer isnt always the same person.
Yup

But the real issue is we have to little info to give you great advice. Trade-in dollars are most often just money off the car you could have gotten anyway. I believe that is the case here. Why? Cause you might sell the car for that much to the right person, but no way would a dealer actually give you that much.

Reactions: Sh!ft

·
Registered
61 Posts
It could very well be part of the dealer shell game... like I’ll give you 37k in a trade towards my sti that I’ll sell you for 55k...

Also, sometimes there can be a pretty big tax difference in trading a vehicle vs private selling and buying new separate. In IL you used to just pay tax on the difference between trade and purchase, but that’s gone now. Maybe your state doesn’t suck, or need to constantly find more sources to fund corruption.

A while back there was a local kid selling a Nissan z who got murdered on a test drive. Very unlikely, but always in the back of my mind when trade/sell comes up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can’t believe a dealer would offer $27k for your car on trade unless you are buying a new car from same dealer and they’re making it up on the price of the new car. Trade value for a 2012 limited with those miles is less than $20k and I would only expect to pay low $20ks for it retail In stock form. I don’t believe mods are ever calculated in trade value at a dealer unless it’s some sort of specialty or performance shop. You have a nice list of mods and if you part out you can probably get 50% of what you spent on actual parts, so maybe $4k$5k or so on your build. You have alot of labor and tunes in your spreadsheet which can’t be sold.

Did the dealer offer you the $27k after looking at your build sheet? That’s a great price even private party. I would take it. I personally dont want to sell car privately, deal with tire kickers, test drives, people with no money, coming back later if it breaks or something, etc.
worst part about selling anything nice...
Everyone thinks it’s “on sale” and not “for sale.”

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Haha I'd be livid at that wheel fitting post. I spent the better part of a Saturday milling those custom center caps!

Reasons for considering private sale:
#1 See it go to a good home.
The 2nd is $33-35k would cover the cost of the next vehicle. Parts for the twin 62mm setup are ~$13k.

I am a bit impatient and highly value my free time. $3K would be quickly negated after:
  • Vacation time wasted for no call no show.
  • "I know we said $33 on the phone but... would you take $25 cash and throw in the stock BBS rims??"
  • "Hey remember me? I bought your car last week! The dealer had me come in for that software recall and now the car won't start. Should I give them the $120 to run diagnostics??"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Haha I forgot I paid to have the exhaust installed. I was on crouches from ACL surgery at the time. I still ended up under the car the following day because the tips were crooked. I hate when someone else puts a wrench on my vehicles.

I was shocked at the value. KBB says $21 - $23k in my area for fair conduction stock. Excellent as high as $27.5k.
I do have a friend in the finance dept, and it is contingent on me purchasing new or a CPO's back from lease. I won't consider anything else. He said the mods are ignored at trade as long as its not hellaflush covered in stickers, passes emissions, and runs on pump gas. It would go right to auction.

Parting out is not an option because it's no fun to pull the IM and engine harness. It would need a half a$$ tune to appear stock, but avoid restoring the TGVs and miles of emissions/CCV pneumatics. Nothing but problems for the next owner and I heard karma's a b!tch.

·
Registered
528 Posts
+1 on that being a great price from the dealer...just like stated above make sure they aren't just transferring numbers onto your new vehicle...it is a shame to not pass something like this to another enthusiast but at the end of the day its your pocket book and not ours

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Even if you dont get what you want for it, you have a good chance of it going to an enthusiast rather than a goofball with white oakleys at a dealership who will be posting here in 2 months about "will these wheels fit."
Or being forwarded a Facebook post about how the new owner blew the car up after a week......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts