IW STi Forum banner

DEALER SAYS CREDIT UNION ILLEGAL???

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  pjpj 
#1 ·
Silver for MSRP in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been frequenting this message board for some 3 months now and have been researching the vehicle for about 8 months. Well all I know is I drove the WRX and wasn’t too happy with the turbo lag, so the guy told me about the STI and that was last October. I didn’t really think at the time that this was something I would consider but I am definitely an adrenalin junkie so I’ve been working day and night since October to save up a large down payment. Well in the meantime I visited a local dealership the largest in my area and spoke with a sales rep that turns out used to work for my father in the life insurance business. He tells me that he can order the vehicle for a $500 non refundable deposit with delivery in about 4 months. Yes I already know all this but the nonrefundable deal kind of make me a little nervous. He also says that the docking fee is $750 which I question because I tell him why are you using the term docking fee because I see the destination fee is $550. Well in the meantime the wheels are turning and I tell him I would really like to see the vehicle in person call me when your first one comes in so I can check it out. So I contact the credit union where my saving account is and fill out an online car loan app and get approval, I speak to a purchaser and I tell her that this car I’m interested in is a special order vehicle because I’m thinking she has no idea what an STI is. She gets back to me and says yes she can get it, she sound very confident to me and is speaking like she is familiar with the STI. She went as far as giving me numbers $32,600 this is to include dealer options: extended arm rest, wheel locks, upgraded security system, tax, tag and destination fees in the color and wheel style of my choice. She also says she can have delivery in 4-6 weeks from time of order as long as I order on the first day of any month. She also told me that she could get me the blue/gold that day because her dealer had one on the lot. I should have taken it that day but was still saving for downpayment. I’m like are you sure you know what your talking about guys have been waiting months for this car and I don’t mind waiting as well but if you can get it here that fast I guess okay anything’s possible. Well the friend of my fathers calls me today and says that there is an STI on his lot would you like to come and see it. I say yes I’ll be there as soon as I can to check it out, I have told this gentlemen last week that I might try to use the credit union to purchase this vehicle but would consider using you if you can beat the price I have. So anyways I go to the dealership because I really want to see the car, I really regret doing so at the moment. We walk up to the sales manager’s office to get the keys so I can have a look at it. The guy tells the sales manager that I will be purchasing the vehicle through a credit union and the sales manager flips out. He then gets on the phone and I’m not sure who he’s speaking to maybe SOA and tells them that a local credit union is selling me this car and they can’t do this because it is illegal. He goes as far as giving whoever he is speaking with the name of my credit union and tells me he will put a stop to me getting this vehicle through them. I have never heard such a thing; I mean if I can get the car through a credit union they are obviously using a bigger dealership then him. So the sales manager was totally rude and basically tells me he doesn’t even want me in his dealership, fine after the stunt you just pulled I wouldn’t purchase the car from you if you were the only dealership in the country. So I walked out with the sales rep and I’m thinking you should have kept your mouth shut because all you need to do is beat the pricing I have and you could have had the deal. He asks would you like to still see the car? Well I’m up here and now that I’m away from that butt hole sales manager of your okay. I looked at the car sticker shows MSRP $32,400 and I’m sure this does not include everything that I’ve been quoted through my credit union. Anyways I apologize for this rather lengthy post but this manager really has me ticked off, probably won’t be able to sleep well tonight unless I have vision of me kicking his butt. I need some expert input on this credit union thing. This guys exact words were it’s illegal for me to purchase this car through a credit union.

See less See more
G
#4 ·
pjpj said:
I have been frequenting this message board for some 3 months now and have been researching the vehicle for about 8 months...

8< 8< snipit 8< 8<

I need some expert input on this credit union thing. This guys exact words were it’s illegal for me to purchase this car through a credit union.
I don't know that I would qualify as an expert, but I can tell you that anyone that gets his legal advice from the Sales Manager of a Car dealership would probably pay top dollar for oven roasted ice cubes. :wink:

If your credit union can get you the car for a good price "Go for it!" and if that dealer contiues to haunt you please feel free to post your bad experiences here.
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1666

#6 ·
Vent: Screwed out of STI :(

Just one more thing that reminds us all, "NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING THESE GUYS TELL YOU."

(Except Murley.) 8)

Credit Unions are perfectly legal, and when you get your car, you should go back to that guy with your "receipt" and wave it under his nose and say, "all this dough could have been yours."

#8 ·
Yes the credit union has confirmed that there is nothing underhanded about my deal. She thought it was kinda funny that the price gouging greedy SOB flipped out the way he did. I’ll fix his butt because when I get it I will drive across his lot and give him the one finger wave. :evil:

#11 ·
Agent Chobos said:
Just one more thing that reminds us all, "NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING THESE GUYS TELL YOU."

(Except Murley.) 8)

Credit Unions are perfectly legal, and when you get your car, you should go back to that guy with your "receipt" and wave it under his nose and say, "all this dough could have been yours."
I prefer saying a-la Good Will Hunting, "Do you like apples?? (while holding the receipt and keys) Cuz I just bought my STi through my Credit Union...how do you like THEM apples?"

#12 ·
Man! I hear about so much of this crap on this board....subaru dealers lying...cheating...doing anything they can for a quick buck. I know they are car dealers and all....but all this is unacceptable. With subaru trying to break into more of a mainstream brand image they cant have their customers being treated like crap all the time. I wouldnt be too happy about all this if I were down in subaru headquarters.

#13 ·
I had a friend who tried to deal for truck at his local dealer but could never get a decent price. He had a buying service buy it for him. Now here's the good part. He had them deliver it to the local dealer for pick up. They also got to do all the warrenty service on it. Kind of an in your face slam

#14 ·
10K over MSRP?!?!

When a dealer "helps" a customer to get a loan they will get a piece of the pie. Maybe they will not get anything through the credit union. Did you mention the statement that the manager made against the credit union? I would be nice if you can get the credit union and the manager through a 3 way call and see if he stays with his words :)

#15 ·
Did one better I filed a complaint against him with the SOA. It’s not my fault his dealership doesn’t recognize my financial institution. After all that was this anyway to treat a potential customer, especially one that’s making such a large purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.