IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was purchasing my black STI it looked like it already had some swirl marks so I asked how long it had been on the lot and they said about a month. I knew in that time it would have been cleaned so I figured yeah there was gonna be swirl marks. My salesguy said they would give me the paint sealant for free to take care of that problem but sure enough even afterwards they were still clearly visible. My question is how is the sealant different from a wax? And can I just Zaino over it to diminish the swirls? Or am I just out of luck until the sealant wears away and then do the job right?

Aint black a bitch, gotta love it though!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
ZeuSTI....not sure of how bad your swirls are, but when I had my '03 Mustang GT, the dealer scratched up my paint numerous times, requiring them to fix it. They used some sort of stuff they called "glaze". Anyhow, it worked perfectly on my paint...removed all the swirl marks...and I mean BAD ONES. So, if you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, take a run down to your local Ford dealership that has paint and body and ask them. I don't know how well Zaino will work as I've never used it. But people on this forum who have can't say enough about it, so it must be GREAT. And "YES", black is a pain, but in my opinion, NOTHING is prettier than a clean, freshly waxed black car.....hmmm, hmmm

·
Registered
198 Posts
Paint sealant? Is that like headlight fluid ;) ?

You could try whiplash's solution, but I would recommend Zaino's scratch and swirl remover. It takes a few coats, so make sure you arm is nice and rested. Oh, and swirl-free black paint just does not exist.

(former black vehicle owner)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Installed my HU today

ZeuSTI said:
When I was purchasing my black STI it looked like it already had some swirl marks so I asked how long it had been on the lot and they said about a month. I knew in that time it would have been cleaned so I figured yeah there was gonna be swirl marks. My salesguy said they would give me the paint sealant for free to take care of that problem but sure enough even afterwards they were still clearly visible. My question is how is the sealant different from a wax? And can I just Zaino over it to diminish the swirls? Or am I just out of luck until the sealant wears away and then do the job right?

Aint black a *****, gotta love it though!
There really isn't any "sealant" for paint. Perhaps they just used a glaze? A glaze is nothing more than makeup for paint really. It has a bunch of oil and other stuff that gets in the swirls (scratches in clearcoat) and fills them up so they are harder to see. As the glaze wears off, the swirls look worse. On a black car, swirls are always going to be noticeable under direct light.

-st

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Other than the price, the dealer applied sealant is no different than a wax. If you put glaze on your finish you have to then put a coat of wax over it to help seal it in. I opted for no BS dealer applied sealant because I know they would have put a ton of swirls in my paint applying it. BTW, only way you can remove swirl marks is with a high speed buffer where you have to remove the fine layer of paint or clear coat the swirls are in. Only thing a glaze or wax will do is cover them up.

·
Registered
668 Posts
well, when they sell cars, they always sell rust proofing and paint sealant as options they tack on at the end. I got the rust proofing jsut for peace of mind since my dad's driving it through the winter but I passed on the sealant b/c i know i'm going to take care of my car and wax it and stuff.

There's a few products out there that act as a sort of paint sealant, and it lasts a little longer than wax. This paint sealant for cars that they sell at dealers still needs to be re-applied every 6 months to keep the shine though. I can't imagine it would hurt. It actually sonds a lot like that RejeX stuff that I'm
testing on my Accord right now (I believe Janqs been testing it on his wheels too).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!
Well it looks like I'll just wait a while untill it looks like it needs a wax and then do a full zaino treatment. That seems to be my best bet. At least they did the sealant for free so I guess I can cope.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Most of these dealer options are bs, sorta like stain proofing the darn interior for like 200 bucks.

They send the lot boy to walmart, buy an 8 buck spray can of 3M staing repeller and spray it in.

BS, IMHO, same as paint sealer, and dealer prep fee (200 bucks to pull the dam! plastic off the seats and hood???)

You can use some 3m swirl remover, the pink stuff if I remember correctly, expensive but does the trick for a few washes anyway.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
anyone with eibach springs?

Antimullet said:
Most of these dealer options are bs, sorta like stain proofing the darn interior for like 200 bucks.

They send the lot boy to walmart, buy an 8 buck spray can of 3M staing repeller and spray it in.

BS, IMHO, same as paint sealer, and dealer prep fee (200 bucks to pull the dam! plastic off the seats and hood???)

You can use some 3m swirl remover, the pink stuff if I remember correctly, expensive but does the trick for a few washes anyway.
Yeah they tried to sneak in a "racing stripe" and a "glazing" on mine. I politely told them no queer racing stripe and I do all my own detailing. So they did the glaze anyway and then tried to cry communication problem when I went to pick it up. I told them to take it off. I'm so thankfull my car is silver though, I would have gone nuts if they buffed it at all on a darker color.

As for the rust proofing - it is not needed. I would even go so far as to say that it could probably only hurt on a car that is properly painted. Sometimes they drill doors etc. to spray the crap in. Not to mention that it can add a ton of weight.

-st

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I can say from experience, Paint sealant, whatever it is, is NOT a hoax.

My parents have two dodge sedans, one year apart in model year, painted in the exact same color from the factory.

One had paint sealant as an option, one did not.

Neither has been garaged, washed very regularly, or to my knowledge, waxed, ever. And I can see a SIGNIFICANT difference in the color of the paints. The one that was sealed from the dealer has a much darker, better looking paint surface, and the paint is still in very good condition. The one that was not sealed looks very faded and the paint looks OLDER in comparison.

My guess is that this would be much less pronounced in a car that's washed and waxed more regularly, and/or garaged, but I still have noticed this difference. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

·
Registered
668 Posts
the rust proofing I got is a chemical coating they put on, not like a foam sealant they fill they doors with. at least I think so...

what i'm really surprised at is that your dealer charged you 200 for taking off the plastic... isn't that supposed to be included???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts