IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull the STI lettering off my trunk to do a trunk swap. Can someone recommend the best method to get the lettering off with out damaging the paint? thnx.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dental floss is what I used to remove the badge, just slowly move the floss up and down and slowly remove the badge. you can also use fishing line. then just remove the sticky backing left on the car with your thumb. I then used detail spray and soft cloth to remove any residue. I have seem people use a clay bar to remove the residue but I didn't need to.

If you do a search you can find a better write up tho.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tried floss and only got one letter off before it broke so I switched to bowstring serving material cuz that's what I had. Goo Gone won't damage your paint, but you should wash the spot afterwards just to be safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys. i just grabbed the edge with my fingers and just pulled them off. so next question is what is the best compound to use to get the badge back on the new trunk? rubber cement?

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Hair dryer, floss or fish line, and goo gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
thanks for the info guys. i just grabbed the edge with my fingers and just pulled them off. so next question is what is the best compound to use to get the badge back on the new trunk? rubber cement?
Rubber cement is most likely going to damage your paint, I would recommend using thin pieces of 3M tape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you use goo gone make sure it is the automotive grade. Their is debate concerning household vs automotive grade goo gone and its effect to the clear coat but just to be safe use automotive grade.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you use goo gone make sure it is the automotive grade. Their is debate concerning household vs automotive grade goo gone and its effect to the clear coat but just to be safe use automotive grade.
:p I didn't know there was a difference, but I bought mine at an parts store so I probably got the right stuff. It's been nearly a year and so far, so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts