IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a few passing mentions of kits, particularly one made in NZ (or AU), that allow the DCCD to be set to send 100% of power to the rear wheels. Apparently it maintains most of the stock AWD system but I don't know anything else. Any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't know about any kit, but 100% RWD is probably possible by just setting the DCCD to full lock and removing the front half shafts.

The only practical reason I can think of to do something like this however is for drift competition.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snax said:
I don't know about any kit, but 100% RWD is probably possible by just setting the DCCD to full lock and removing the front half shafts.
You could also make a convertible by torching off the roof. :lol: :roll:

I just think it would be interesting to see what the car is capable of when it can send more than 65% power to the rear wheels. The Skylines are able to set their CD to 100% rear, IMO the car most similar to the STi other than the EVO is the Skyline. And 100% power to the rears would be great even if for no other reason than to do really good burnouts. :D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My point is that any 'kit' is going to involve ripping the guts out of the center differential. There is no other mechanical way to direct more torque away from the front aside from what I stated before.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I really don't know why anyone would wanna do this anyway...

If I wanna do burnouts, I'll drive my Firebird.

·
Registered
195 Posts
But wouldnt it be nice to be able to not have to go get your other car to do the burnout? Scenario: Your far from your firebird, and you want to do a burnout (sudden urge, we all get them :)) Just flip the switch to 100rear and bam, your doin burnouts... but wait, what is this? Up ahead there is a perfect mountain road for you and your STi to take on. Put it on whatever setting fits it best and slam it to the floor... bet your glad you didnt have your firebird, huh?

·
Registered
834 Posts
The burnout thing doesnt really bother me. saves me money on these expensive tires. but anyways. I have heard things kind of like when you pull the e-brake it takes all the power away from the rear wheels so you dont mess anything up sliding around turns. so in all reality if this was true you can pull your e-brake up a few clicks and let her rip. and you should get a nice fwd burnout going. whatever I have no need for that. if I want to burn out I just cut the wheel and hit the gas. people are more impressed by the fact that my subaru 4cyl can blow donuts all day long than the fact that that 8cyl mustang can burn his tires off. lmao jmo. but hey it would be cool to be able to send more power to the rear than we already can. I would imagine you might notice a small gain in fuel mileage with this. not a great amount because everything else still turns in the system even when not in awd. but maybe 2-4 mpg

·
Registered
454 Posts
FutureStiOwner said:
But wouldnt it be nice to be able to not have to go get your other car to do the burnout? Scenario: Your far from your firebird, and you want to do a burnout (sudden urge, we all get them :))
Maybe if we were all like 18 years old.. No, we don't all get them.

I'm perfectly happy not doing any burnouts in the STi. Traction is my friend. The only reason I do burnouts is to warm up my tires before a drag pass. The STi has good enough traction it doesn't need that.

Just flip the switch to 100rear and bam, your doin burnouts...
Don't see the point.

but wait, what is this? Up ahead there is a perfect mountain road for you and your STi to take on. Put it on whatever setting fits it best and slam it to the floor... bet your glad you didnt have your firebird, huh?
Not really. My Firebird is just as much fun on curvy roads as the STi. Sure, the STI handles a better, but the Firebird isn't that far behind. The general impression of them as being a "straight line only" kind of vehicle is not very accurate. I don't see the STi as being "above" my Firebird, it's just different. The Firebird kicks the STis ass in a few categories, too.

That's why I have both. Best of both worlds.

But that's not really what the topic of the post is.

·
Registered
694 Posts
edited some STi footage from Pocono

FutureStiOwner said:
But wouldnt it be nice to be able to not have to go get your other car to do the burnout? Scenario: Your far from your firebird, and you want to do a burnout (sudden urge, we all get them :))
Hmm. I must be gettin' old, after all.

I always thought that a burnout resulted in higher acceleration times (unless it's to warm tires up before a run, obviously). Now, to me, buying a performance car means that I want quicker acceleration ... so ... wouldn't that make burnouts counter-productive?

The brother of a friend of mine always wanted us to do burnouts with whatever sports car we were in at the time. We tried so, so hard to explain to him how tire smoke means you're not accelerating. Somehow, he just never got it.

A friend of mine has a '91 Isuzu Stylus that he uses as a commuter car, and even he can do burnouts. I guess I just can't see it as a badge of honor....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:-? You guys have latched onto the whole burnout thing as bit too tight. I was interested in the whole 100% RWD because I see the STi as the 4 cylinder cousin of the Skyline which can be set 100% RWD. And it also opens a up a whole new world of driver control over the way the powertrain works. Maybe I'm making a bit deal out of nothing :roll: but I would just like to see how the STi would perform with more DCCD flexibilty. I 've heard there is a bolt on system for the Impreza, I just have had no luck finding any info on it. Please keep an eye out for it. 8)

·
Registered
541 Posts
There has been some mention that the JDM Spec C is able to do that from the FACTORY. No "kits" required. I haven't seen an official confirmation beyond some British magazine saying they did 100% rear, when they tested it. You might try looking in the News/Media forum. This is one that interests me, too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well that would require a completely different layout in the transmission center differential coupling. I suspect that it's an unsubstantiated rumor.

Regardless, it seems about as useful as underbody neon light kits to me.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's quite useful for the track, IF the system adjusts it actively.

I'll bet you could take the DCCD control chip right from a skyline and use it to control your differential bias for some nice control.

The car can accelerate faster when traction isn't a problem (read: high speed) if the front tires aren't getting torque.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You know, I thought I read something on nasioc about it just being a matter of changing some computer settings and you should be able to get the dccd to go to any mode you want, the hard part, they said, was hacking the computer. I thought it might have been Glen who said he was trying to hack it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Vid of me at Second Creek

I don't think you guys are following what I have been saying. As I understand it:

The torque bias is from the gear ratios and placement of those gears in the center differential. The bias from the differential itself cannot be changed. Without the DCCD, it will direct a 65% bias to the rear, no more!

The DCCD is nothing more than an electro-hydraulic clutch system. It cannot provide any more of a rear torque bias than the 65% from the differential (but don't confuse that with net torque which can be 100% to both ends with no bias) .

The only way around this limitation would be having a way to decouple the front driveline. Perhaps there is a kit to do this somehow, but no electronic gizmo is going to get you there without opening up the transmission to swap some parts.

It's possible that I have completely missed the boat on how the drivetrain is laid out, but I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts