IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up for another attempt at Daytona track day with my high mileage 2004 STI.

I'm over 180,000 miles on the original engine with recent upgrade to Blouch 1.5 XTR, intercooler, 850 injectors resulting in ~400 CHP at 18 psi.

It is a conservative tune, but with all the talk of overstressing your engine with long pulls, WOT in high gear, etc, I wonder how much of a fool am I?

Even worse I run Mobil 1...now 0W-40.

:)

I signed up last Halloween with the car and the original clutch started to fail (166,000) so had to borrow a car...equally fun 4 door sedan.

I do have low expectations (assembling a new engine), but hate to destroy the bearings (and new turbo!) in the process.

I did take the advice of this board and update to a AP V3...and will make more of a habit to watch the condition of the engine (knock)...suppose I could pull some global timing if WOT 6th gear begins to show issues?

Comments?

Any guesses on topspeed on the banks it will hit? It rides the limiter (when flat/straight) when I had one quite easily stock...now with another 100 CHP...

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkAUT1LX2Vo

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
How big are the banks?

At TX2K14 when they did the roll racing event, some cars without dry-sumps were having oil starvation issues when going around the bank prior to the straight away. IIRC, the bank was maybe 35 degrees.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
31 degrees...I will ensure I've got a topped oil...and running a decent street tire. Last event did not result in any failures that I know of...good point though.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
'04 I'm going to say 148-149 mph. Just a guess.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree!

Sebring brought 135 mph on the long straight with 50 CHP less.

Daytona has longer stretches it would appear, but heavily banked...I will guess low 150's although seems a touch low.

I may add a GPS to confirm the speed...OEM speedo is not entirely accurate at high speeds (especially with my non-stock 245's).

I do hope the engine holds together for at least a couple of sessions.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
You should be in the mid to high 140s (GPS, indicated in the 150s). You'll find power will kinda fall off with sustained top gears use, as intake temps go up. This is just the nature of the smaller turbo being pushed in the upper revs.

You will definitely be beyond the limits of the OEM oiling system on those banks. Top gears, high RPM on the long bank will leave no oil in the factory sump.

Assuming you're running some of the infield too?

We have a challenge car that runs that track (160s on the long bank), but they are running our sump and oil control valve. From the data I've seen it's performed well, but for continuous banks (circle oval) you'd want a dry sump pulling from the crankscase AND heads.

If you're just out to have some fun and this is a one time thing, and you're OK with the possibility of killing the old/tired engine... overfill the oil and it will buy you some safety on the banks... but not a lot. Don't go crazy in the upper gears on the bank right off the bat and watch you oil pressure. If the needle wavers you're funneling and starvation will soon follow. Watch the pressure and just push faster and faster keeping a close eye on pressure.

And above all else, have fun! :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FLAT OUT...ha. When I was younger with more disposable income...now I'm quite happy to drive it home. ;-)

killerb: great input. It will be the 24 hours course...infield and 2/3 of the banks.

I'm a bit surprised the oil system will be that stressed, but then again not too many places are similar along with more stick than OEM.

I've done the over-filling on other makes with good luck. I've been blamed for always overfilling after an oil change (I use the entire 5 quart container for convenience!)...but this makes good sense.

Does the intercooler sprayer really work? My PW intercooler hood insert has three holes for it appears triple the spray over OEM. Giving some thought to adding a couple of 't's and going with 3 nozzles. I'll be hitting the button when I can either way.

Even giving some thought to replacing the original condenser...road debris have crushed majority of the lower fins...likely impacting radiator cooling. Sebring event resulted in the car running hot...not entirely sure what caused it...maybe just poorly bleed system. I'm more skilled in that regard now!

Race fuel is supposed to be available...might try that too-that gets expensive quick (100 unleaded).

140's is......not that fast! But I will still enjoy the thrills and seeing how the car works.

Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here is some of my personal experience

I was at Fontana last year running the roval course and I spun a rod bearing.
That was with the stock oil system.

Since then I now have the killer B pan, pickup and baffle along with an oil cooler and high pressure oil pump.

Fonatana is smaller but I was still up to 125 on nascar turns 1 and 2 there.
I feel your car won't survive if you don't at least have a larger pan and baffle.

As one person explained to me, since we have boxer motors, on high G turns, the oil will stay in the head and not come down to the sump so you need more oil capacity

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All makes sense...it is a 'flat' engine.

The current setup is stock for oiling and I won't be upgrading the parts...those are on the new engine! ;-)

Experiences are extremely useful though...don't like to hear the loss of the engine though!

Maybe I should skip this car and borrow another car...as I will find it hard to not keep the pedal down...paid big money for the experience.

Thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Great news Tim. Hope you had fun.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It was great fun...road courses are certainly the most thrilling.

Comment on the speed...

Indicated was 154 mph...Cobb AP logged 147...and calculated with 245/40-17 tire size at the logged 6000 rpm is 150.

I do not have a GPS speed read out.

I was hoping to step it up on the last session a bit more (ie running it to 7000 rpm vs 6000), but rain began to fall. Likely a few more mph were available especially if I got the 'bus stop' chicane line decent.

Riot snicking it into 6th heeled over on the banks and feeling the g forces build...

Cleaned it up today (with fresh Mobil 1)...hoping to visit the dyno in the next week...may ask them to turn up the boost from 18 to 24...

New engine is slated for Thanksgiving install...would be nice to do a back to back comparison at same boost level.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's great! Great video! That corvette was a little lost. Nervous probably. Looks like tons of fun on the banks!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts