IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to wire the highbeam to work as DRL?
This can't be a difficult thing, prob need some kind of a relay to lower the output to 40%. has anyone done this? or attempted?

·
Registered
270 Posts
i don't mean to be a smart ass but couln't you just turn on your lights when driving??

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
NOOOOO

;)

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to disable the DRLs on my Celica....sure not going to wire em up on this car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STi_high said:
i don't mean to be a smart ass but couln't you just turn on your lights when driving??
Well... turn on head lights isn't exactly the same as DRL. DRL doesn't turn on tail lights and I really don't want to have my HID burning all day when I don't need them to see.

Now here is a question.. why do you guys disable your DRL? I mean it's proven that DRL improves safety cuz there are too many idiots on the road, and if it doesn't cost you performance wise, why disable it?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Rims for STI

Eh, I don't buy that safety stuff. That might have been back in the days when it was rare to have a car with DRLs. Now, it's more likely to see a car WITH than without. If it's of the lighting condition that lights would help visibility, I turn em on....but normal daylight is not what I call a bad visibility situation.

Why disable them? Why add a clear bra....why add a front lip?? Purely appearance. I think having your headlights on while it appears your battery is dying is a horrible look. Again, just for looks, and since I don't see the point of them, off with their heads!

And it isn't like it was a hard thing to do. Pull out tech manual.....find proper wire.....clip that sucker. I wrote it up for 7th gen Celica guys on my website and it is easily the most popular mods for the car out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mister2cool said:
I really don't want to have my HID burning all day when I don't need them to see.
The DRLs are not the HIDs, they are just your yellow parking lights.
Look through the electrical manual here:
http://www.inspiredtech.com/subaru/

If you do not find it, PM me and I'll find out for you. The DRLs come on when you disable the parking brake. So, there's a switch associated with the PB that could be closed permanently to disable the DRLs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
psycho said:
Mister2cool said:
I really don't want to have my HID burning all day when I don't need them to see.
The DRLs are not the HIDs, they are just your yellow parking lights.
Look through the electrical manual here:
http://www.inspiredtech.com/subaru/
quote]

hmm, that sucks.. I was thinking about using the high beam for DRL. Using parking light doesn't look right.
I said I didn't want to burn my HID because someone suggested just turn on headlight as DRL.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Using your high-beams as DRLs will certianly annoy oncoming drivers. In my opinion, it is dangerous becuase its too bright for drivers in the oncoming lane. You could clear out your parking lights with the headlight mod.....or, you could get fogs, bypass the relay, disable your regular DRLs and use the fogs......or just disable the DRLs and use nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Not true at all. Most DRLs (GM and Toyota for sure) are using the high beams at some lower rated power. Unless you have the candle power to be an annoyance, it doesn't matter what beam you use.

Since you are going to add the system yourself, you can use whatever bulbs you want.....just design around the wattage of that bulb and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Unless you have the candle power to be an annoyance, it doesn't matter what beam you use.
Absolutely true. For the cars that use the high beams at a lower wattage for DRL's, are they using a second bulb, or driving the HB bulb at a lower wattage? Is that done with a relay? I'm trying to think of what would be the easiest way to do this in a car that wasn't designed to do it from the factory. What do you think?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had DRL on my Lexus which was using the high beam, same 9006 bulb but at I believe 40% of output. I never did look at the wiring diagram but it should be pretty simple to rig up a bypass circuit.
However, DRL with high beam will look yellow no matter what bulb you chose since they are not running at the designed wattage.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Ya know...I'm not real sure how they knocked the wattage down. But yeah, every DRL system I've seen is just running the high beam at a lower wattage.

I'm sure you could check out the tech manuals and see what the WRX has that we don't....just add it...and be good to go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately, the WRX also uses the parking lights. I know this for sure becuase I just traded mine in for the STi. I'll check into this a little deeper.

·
Registered
916 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
YBut yeah, every DRL system I've seen is just running the high beam at a lower wattage.
That's weird because every DRL system I've seen runs the low beams at reduced power (that includes VW and Toyota). My pet peeve are the Chrysler minivans (among others) which use the orange parking lights as DRLs. Parking lights should be used as parking lights.

Anyway, I disabled my DRLs. It's debatable whether or not DRLs improve safety under conditions with GOOD visibility. As a driving enthusiast, I like to have control over ALL aspects of my car and I know to always turn on my headlights under POOR visibility conditions or when passing on two-lane highways.

·
Banned
289 Posts
i had DRLs on my 02 wrx, and ever since i got my sti i thanked god that they got rid of that...i wonder why they brought it back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
umm i know this is an old post but i've been looking everywhere for a solution to the question of trying to get the highbeams as the drls in stead of the HID's, and none have been finished...:( I think it looks niice like this

photo courtesy of swrt.com

·
Registered
506 Posts
there's a sticky somewhere on how to disable the drl. you'd probably just have to use that to find the module and then figure out how to wire your high beams to it. good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts