IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THE ORIGINAL POST WAS EDITTED.

Mod works. No DRLs.

Disconnecting the resistor disabled the DRLs but left the high beams completely functional.

2015 STI Base

Being that this is an Impreza I did a search for this on the net and came up with many results. This link looked promising and turned out to be the right direction. Not a Impreza but the resister is in the same location as the STI. I think the GR resister was in the same area.
DIY-- disable day time running lights (DRLs)

Currently I don't have any error messages or warning lights when the engine is on and the parking brake is off. The High beams and other lights seem to be working fine and the DRLs are off.

This is pretty easy so I'm not going to get to detailed on the instructions.

Pull the air box out of the car
The resistor is mounted on the steal support right next to the horn
The cable is not very long and its kind of a pain to disconnect the plug from the resister

DRL disabled

Parking Lights

Headlights

Headlights and high beams

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The DRLs look terrible and I want to disable them. BMW makes this very easy with a setting change.

On my 2010 STI it was very simple to disable the DRLs. Just had to disconnect one cable. I'm hoping this is easy on the 2015.

If you already figured this out please post some details. If you have the shop manual have a look and see if there are any connections to the high beams beyond the main power connectors.

Please post a link to the shop manual that is not password/subscription protected and I'll check it out.
PM Sent.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gargleblaster thanks for the info in the PM.

I would not have thought this but FirstRex was or appears to be right. I pulled the fuse and no warning light on the dash and no DRLs. I will report back after I drive it and report if there were any issues.

My 2010 required disconnecting a plug from a harness. But the DRLs were the HIDs.

That seems to be easier than I thought.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gargleblaster thanks for the info in the PM.

I would not have thought this but FirstRex was or appears to be right. I pulled the fuse and no warning light on the dash and no DRLs. I will report back after I drive it and report if there were any issues.

My 2010 required disconnecting a plug from a harness. But the DRLs were the HIDs.

That seems to be easier than I thought.
Care to share a picture of which fuse it was?

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
You have the 2015 STI and you think the LED's look bad? To each their own.

The DRLs look terrible and I want to disable them. BMW makes this very easy with a setting change.

On my 2010 STI it was very simple to disable the DRLs. Just had to disconnect one cable. I'm hoping this is easy on the 2015.

If you already figured this out please post some details. If you have the shop manual have a look and see if there are any connections to the high beams beyond the main power connectors.

Please post a link to the shop manual that is not password/subscription protected and I'll check it out.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE;

I spoke too soon. When I tested this earlier I started the car and the DRLs were off. Just tested it again and this time released the parking brake. DRLs are off with the engine running and the parking brake engaged. But running and the parking brake disengaged the DRLs come on.

Not sure what fuse 19 does but it seems to have no effect on the DRLs.

The search continues.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is there a DRL fuse? For Honda, there's a fuse that is specific to DRLs. Ugh I wish I had my STi already.. for all of us that doesn't have it yet, we are living someone else's life waiting for new news and updates LOL

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
UPDATE;

I spoke too soon. When I tested this earlier I started the car and the DRLs were off. Just tested it again and this time released the parking brake. DRLs are off with the engine running and the parking brake engaged. But running and the parking brake disengaged the DRLs come on.

Not sure what fuse 19 does but it seems to have no effect on the DRLs.

The search continues.
I had a feeling it was too good to be true. I might just keep DRL, like I have for my last cars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you guys think we are able to make the "C" as our drl? I honestly never cared for thr drl from the high beams.....they dont look nice at all :/

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure about making the C the DRL. One solution is to just run the headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 411 Posts