IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dash Creak Noise - Drivers side

I have a 2005 sti and I hear a creak/cracking noise coming from where the VIN plate is. Normally you will think it is the plastic gromets being loose but that is a different rattling noise which my car does not have. It also does not have the cruise control rattle as I fixed this by adjusting the spring.
I have taken off the A pillar trim and the dash trim panel closest to the window. The creaking noise has continued in spite of this so the trim is not the problem.
It occurs all the time at various speeds and is really quite annoying. I think it comes from the A-Pillar but at other times from under the dash to the left of the instrument cluster.
Anyways I tried tightenning and even loosening the bolts holding the steel tube that supports the dash but this has not changed anything.
I also sprayed expanding foam in the A pillar but no change.
Next step is to start removing the dash piece by piece till the noise goes away and determine the problem.
Does anyone have a quick fix?
I still suspect it has to do with the metal plate that the steel beam bolts to the sides of the car and supports the dash. Anyways if I get no input I will figure this out. Otherwise the car has no other significant noises except for a clunking noise when I switch from backing up to moving forward. i tonly occurs when the direction is changed, no idea why or if significant???

·
Registered
351 Posts
sportytourer said:
I have a 2005 sti and I hear a creak/cracking noise coming from where the VIN plate is. Normally you will think it is the plastic gromets being loose but that is a different rattling noise which my car does not have. It also does not have the cruise control rattle as I fixed this by adjusting the spring.
I have taken off the A pillar trim and the dash trim panel closest to the window. The creaking noise has continued in spite of this so the trim is not the problem.
It occurs all the time at various speeds and is really quite annoying. I think it comes from the A-Pillar but at other times from under the dash to the left of the instrument cluster.
Anyways I tried tightenning and even loosening the bolts holding the steel tube that supports the dash but this has not changed anything.
I also sprayed expanding foam in the A pillar but no change.
Next step is to start removing the dash piece by piece till the noise goes away and determine the problem.
Does anyone have a quick fix?
I still suspect it has to do with the metal plate that the steel beam bolts to the sides of the car and supports the dash. Anyways if I get no input I will figure this out. Otherwise the car has no other significant noises except for a clunking noise when I switch from backing up to moving forward. i tonly occurs when the direction is changed, no idea why or if significant???
Did you add steering rack bushings? I got a very similar, if not the same noise when I added these bushings. The next time I am under the car, I am going to lube those bushings as well as the steering column.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the exact same mysterious squeaking sound. It was driving me mad so I finally found a post on nasioc where someone had discovered that the defroster vent was to blame. Not the one for the front windshield but the one for the driver side window.

Next time you hear the sound push straight down on the vent and see if the issue is remedied.

Regards,
Patrick

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I would also tell you to check the two screws under the upper lip of the dash. On the way home from our cross country trip I had the same thing happen. It drove me nuts! Turned out that I just tightened the two screws a bit and it went away...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not modify the steering though the car was lowered with springs by 1".
I did try tightenning the screws on the dash mounting steel bracket and it made no difference, though this is what I thought the problem was....
I will check the drives side window defroster. Will post results once I try more things tonight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Problem solved....
Ok, this squeak / creak drove me insane. It was continous creaking not only while driving smooth but also over bumps. The sound seemed to be coming from under the dash on the far left side. Well I fixed it and it has gone on for so long I thought it never would go away as I spent many hours tryin to determine what was causing it. Turns out this is the problem:
The instrument cluster console has a piece of plastic on the far left bottom that rests on the metal tube pillar that runs the length under the dash. This piece of plastic rests on the pillar but is not fastenned nor is it resting on foam or some insulator. As a result any movement or flex in the car will casue an immediate sharp creak or squeak from this piece of plastic rubbing on the metal. I put piece of tape and foam under it and the problem was solved. I drove the car today and I kept sitting upright every time the car hit a bump expecting the dreaded squeak to return but it did not.
I cannot believe this ordeal is over.
I do believe this is a design issue and every STI will have this problem.
If you do have a squeak under the dash this is one of those very annoying ones, and I am so glad it is gone.....

TKs....

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanks Sportytourer!! Bought my STi used, and I always assumed it was because of the car loosening up after a few kms. How thick is the tape? Just regular 2sided? Do you suggest loosening all the bolts to put the tape in? Cheers:) Had any trouble with the passenger side door pocket squeak?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"loosenning all the bolts to put the tape in....."
Sorry do not understand this.
The piece of plastic that is rubbing on the metal tube crossmember is not bolted to it, it just rests on it. All you need to do is lift the dash a tiny bit or put upwards pressure on it and a gap of about 2-3 mm will form allowing you to put some foam in between here. That is all you need to do. Results are amazing!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
oh... now I see it. Got confuserated by the pics and looking under the dash upsidedown. Thanks again.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Anyone have pics of this? Im confused on where to loosen screws or where to put the tape. do i just remove the cluster bezel and there it is?

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Mine made noises, then I went hooning around in a big way a few weeks ago and the noises are different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts