IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: :evil:

After a crap day at work, I go out to my car and find a nice 1" long scratch on the front passenger door that is all the way down to primer (or at least appears to be).

I'm Zaino'ing the car this weekend and will try Meguiar's Scratch X, but it looks like that probably won't work. :mad: :mad:

Anybody have any experience with "air brush" touch-up? Is it something I should even consider? Or is this going to be a high dollar paint and blend job? :(

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car JJ. Stuff like this always seem to happen to the nice cars. If it were me and the Scratch X didn't work, I would take it to the shop and get the paint and blend job.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The body shops get to practice with other cars all day that the jealous punks / or the careless, use your imagination, it up.

If it truly is through to the primer, don't use anything that will make their job more difficult. They may be able to brush on an unthinned layer of color and buff it to where you can barely see it. No one else will see it, but you ALWAYS will.

Reality sucks...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Man what is wrong with people...

a while back i saw this product that you could use after applying touch up paint to the scratch, and it would remove any excess. Anyone remember it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man sorry to hear JJ. Honestly I would not get any body work for a 1" scratch, I dont care what anyone says but unless you have connections no bodyshop will recreate the same finish from the factory.

Try touching up and using lanka as maxowlfinger suggested. From what I have heard it works pretty good. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
bad luck man! sorry to hear it. i dread the first day i have a scratch in my paint. of course i crashed mine through two concrete posts and down into a ditch back in June so i have seen my car look less than showroom. but i did that myself. its always worse when its done by someone else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Best Accessories?

If it bothers you that much, (it would bother me that much) have the entire door panel repainted by a reputable body shop. They'll need to replace the decal on the door and it will cost you about $400-$500, but it should be as good as new......
....actually with the Subaru paint job, it should be better than new.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Paint touch ups are impossible to make 100%. I had a professional view a similar incident on my old car and what he told me is, either you repaint the whole panel or you touch it up as good as it can be done. Some people might be trying to sell you into a blend job but on that metallic blue its hard (problem would be the depth in the paint when you dont get down the layers properly).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts