IW STi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 STI (Cobb stage 3). Last week I traveled to Vegas for the weekend. On the drive there I did a small-ish pull on the highway and my DAM dropped to .821. Should probably mention that it was on the HWG tune. After the DAM dropped there was no sign of the car behaving any different. Fine knock learn kept jumping to 2.0 every time I would drive the car for the four days I was there (occasionally dropping as low as -1.1). When I got home the DAM was still at .821 with little changes in the FKL numbers. I put the car back onto the normal stage 3 boost select (with a mild burble tune added) and the DAM has been at 1.0 for the last 4 days with around 50 miles driven. Im assuming that if something was actually wrong that the DAM would have dropped again, correct? Maybe the ECU reflash is all it needed? Can someone with a bit more knowledge shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
First off, Don't reflash/reset the ECU if you have a DAM drop. It just masks the problem and can cause damage to your engine. you want DAM to drop when you get knock events.

DAM dropping is Subaru's way of protecting the engine. Essentially when it drops, global timing is reduced which in theory reducing knock chance. It could be as simple as bad gas, but it could be many other things.

I had a similar issue with my wifes WRX, and it was bad gas. A small pull on the highway and the DAM dropped to .4 and knock was high(7 degrees). I pulled 3 degrees timing out on the AP and drove gently until I filled up with a new tank of 91.

DAM then slowly crept back up to 1 after awhile.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts