IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car in october last year and haven’t done anything to the engine except a cobb accessport and a muffler and resonator delete. Ive been running a stage 1 that doesn’t require any mods And i flat foot shifted at 6.5k rpms i say about 10-15 times.The day after, i got white smoke on a cold start and i took it to subaru and they said my oil was running low so i did an oil change. I also got a check engine light and i read the code(cylinder 4 misfire). My DAM is inconsistent and i get feedback knock all the way up to -11.80. I deleted the code thinking it was like a one time thing but i got a misfire today again. The roughness in cylinder is not doing good either. Is this a possibility of bad spark plug, fuel injectors, or ringland failure? The car has 8.5k miles on it and still has warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Report back. Let us know. Interested in what they say.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also a bad batch of gas can cause knock but your description sounds like it might be more than that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
sounds like ringlands have some issues. un,marry the access port and take it in. tell them you had to reset the ecu cause it threw it into limp mode and you didnt want to drive it that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The answer is still the same un marry the AP drive it till it pops the code again and take it to the dealership and see if you can scam them into fixing it.

No need to make a new thread every 2 days to post an update.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Whatever the outcome. A lesson can be learned here. Don't waste a warranty for no reason. Especially on an STI they're known for fragile engine/tranny. Even on stock levels, much less tuned and run hard, with so little mileage on it.

Don't let this 300hp, 5 second 0-60 STI corrupt you mate. No more flat foot shifting either it's not worth the milliseconds. My friend had to sell his STI because literaly everytime he got in it he turned into a dangerous/bad driver, tickets and close calls, $10,000 fixing parts on a $30,000 car in 2 years. Better to drive it slow and let that rumble make some music, show off the massive 6 piston acid green calipers. Keep it clean, focus on the paint. Tires/brakes are expensive try to make them last.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a compression test today. All cylinders were a little low because i did it while the engine was cold. Average for the first 3 cylinders was around 95-110. Cylinder 4 i got around 40 :/

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Whatever the outcome. A lesson can be learned here. Don't waste a warranty for no reason. Especially on an STI they're known for fragile engine/tranny. Even on stock levels, much less tuned and run hard, with so little mileage on it.

Don't let this 300hp, 5 second 0-60 STI corrupt you mate. No more flat foot shifting either it's not worth the milliseconds. My friend had to sell his STI because literaly everytime he got in it he turned into a dangerous/bad driver, tickets and close calls, $10,000 fixing parts on a $30,000 car in 2 years. Better to drive it slow and let that rumble make some music, show off the massive 6 piston acid green calipers. Keep it clean, focus on the paint. Tires/brakes are expensive try to make them last.
If you're just going to polish it, drive your Echo instead.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You mean moded toyota matrix?

Warranty was built into the price of the car. Backwards to void it so soon.

Despite fanboys proclaiming its a tough "Bullet proof" rally car. In reality it's a tired, fragile, slow and low to the ground daily driver with heavy 19" rims and rubber band tires. Years and years of EJ tweaking and the motor still pop on a stage 1 tune.

Goodluck to OP trying to get the repair covered under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got a reply from the dealership. They did a wet compression test and it came back negative. They figured out the problem and they said it was a bent intake valve. They also said they would fix it for free under warranty because it shouldnt have a bent intake valve under any circumstances. Im extremely relieved that it wasnt the oil ring!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol so they updated me and told me i was right and it was the oil ring that was messed up. They said they ordered a new engine for me so i am getting w brand mew engine and its getting covered because of warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts