IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2020 sti in october. I havent done much mods to it besides a muffler and exhaust delete. I also have a stage 1 tune on it. I figured out how to flat food shift the other day and it did it quite a bit and i dusted my friend and he said my car shot fire! Next day i do a cold start and white smoke comes out. I get worried and i stop doing the flat foot shifts. Now when i start it its fine. But last night i got a cylinder 4 misfire detected! When i tickle the gas pedal the roughness on cylinder 4 goes up to like 30-40. Was it because i was flat foot shifting at 6,500 rpm???? Plz helpp

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
most likely. You have to go easy on the stock engine. it's better than it has been, but flat foot shifting isn't something you want to do repeatedly, as is evident by the misfire. If you stop the flat foot and the misfire doesn't return, you have your answer. hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most likely. You have to go easy on the stock engine. it's better than it has been, but flat foot shifting isn't something you want to do repeatedly, as is evident by the misfire. If you stop the flat foot and the misfire doesn't return, you have your answer. hope this helps!
I stopped the flat foot shifting after i got the white smoke. The day after is when i got the cylinder misfire. It also only happened twice when i started it up. I just did a cold start and everything seems fine and no roughness in cylinder 4.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You tickeled the gas pedal :rolleyes: to each his own lol

In all seriousness, like stated above the engine has been improved over the years but its not indestructable. Flat foot shifting, your intentially rolling the dice there and it may or may not have cost you. If that misfire returns, well you'll know what lead to it. If you continue to see white smoke on cold starts then i would suggest digging into it. Plenty of info on here about white smoke on start ups from the previous GR/GV generations.

Since you said its been fine after, then i would continue to drive the car but refrain from flat foot shifting. Dont see the point of winning the race if it cost you the engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hope you're prepared to possibly spend a few grand if something goes wrong. You have a slim chance of getting that engine warranty replaced. The EJ is fragile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts