IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I guess at this point we just have to trust DOM that this stuff works.

And I supposed so far there is no independent testing?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess at this point we just have to trust DOM that this stuff works.

And I supposed so far there is no independent testing?
Not aside from a couple reputable companies endorsing/selling his kit (Killer B and I think IAG Performance). If they've tested it, they don't seem to have released much of their findings on it, so maybe their endorsement means their findings agree with Dom's???

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Not aside from a couple reputable companies endorsing/selling his kit (Killer B and I think IAG Performance). If they've tested it, they don't seem to have released much of their findings on it, so maybe their endorsement means their findings agree with Dom's???

I guess so.

I am just curious if others experience better power delivery like I did.

Or can this cooling allow a little bit more aggressive engine tune?

·
Registered
109 Posts
.....can this cooling allow a little bit more aggressive engine tune?
I believe that's basically the purpose behind this mod, yes. By reducing the likelihood of knock you can get fancy with timing and such which, as you know, results in MOAR POOOWWWAAAAA.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
I didn't feel anything, but allowing coolant not to stagnate in one part of a single head is only going to help. As far as the size, it's going into another hose of the same size, so it's only going to be able to pass so much from each feed point.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I didn't feel anything, but allowing coolant not to stagnate in one part of a single head is only going to help. As far as the size, it's going into another hose of the same size, so it's only going to be able to pass so much from each feed point.
I am just curious, but is there any benefit to re-tune the engine after installing this cooling mod?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Without having a lot of hands on experience with the tuning side, it seems to me this mod is more like a condom....for protection so you can still have fun without the higher risk of an STi to your bank account. Considering it simply reduces cylinder temps and any likelihood of knock/detonation/piston cracking/exploding/melting/begging for its life/whatever.

There may be per cylinder timing tables that could benefit from adjustment but I don't think this would affect A/F ratios or power production in any significant way with/out a tune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Without having a lot of hands on experience with the tuning side, it seems to me this mod is more like a condom....for protection so you can still have fun without the higher risk of an STi to your bank account. Considering it simply reduces cylinder temps and any likelihood of knock/detonation/piston cracking/exploding/melting/begging for its life/whatever.

There may be per cylinder timing tables that could benefit from adjustment but I don't think this would affect A/F ratios or power production in any significant way with/out a tune.

It will probably have a small but measurable effect on the limits of a tune, and make thing a bit more forgiving when the limits are reached. The stock tune (on an 09 anyways) runs .7 Degrees advance in Cyl 4, which is something that I plan to keep in there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It will probably have a small but measurable effect on the limits of a tune, and make thing a bit more forgiving when the limits are reached. The stock tune (on an 09 anyways) runs .7 Degrees advance in Cyl 4, which is something that I plan to keep in there.
Yes, that's basically what I meant, haha. It would make it more forgiving.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well I guess it is always good to have that extra bit of buffer and not tune to the ragged edge.

So far this mod don't show any bad side effect.

Coolant tempt and oil tempt are indeed lower (I have simple oil tempt sandwich plate).

During hot idle and A/C on:
1. The coolant tempt was always around 90 Deg C and now it can go down to 84 Deg C.
2. The oil tempt is down from around 100 Deg C and now it can go down to 93 Deg C.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
I am just curious, but is there any benefit to re-tune the engine after installing this cooling mod?
You don't necessarily need a re-tune, but I would remove per cylinder compensations.

They vary through the years. Some of them add timing, some reduce timing. Personally, there is no reason to keep the per cylinder comps with this fix. Hell, I got rid of mine long ago with E85 and ELH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You don't necessarily need a re-tune, but I would remove per cylinder compensations.

They vary through the years. Some of them add timing, some reduce timing. Personally, there is no reason to keep the per cylinder comps with this fix. Hell, I got rid of mine long ago with E85 and ELH.
My logic is simply because of the knock sensor location. With this fix, Cyl 4 probably won't be the first cylinder to detonate, but its going to be the first heard.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is the reason why Subaru put the knock sensor over #4 for the reason that is the most prone to problems? Or is that a theory that someone came up with one day simply because it correlated? I've always followed this reasoning because I have no other explanation, at least I agree it would be the loudest as the sensor is right there, nor am I smart enough to come up with another, but it's not as if the knock sensor is practically deaf to the other cylinders, right? If a highly trained ear can hear knock on any cylinder and the sensor is tuned to pick up a certain frequency for knock, then is placement really that critical?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Is the reason why Subaru put the knock sensor over #4 for the reason that is the most prone to problems? Or is that a theory that someone came up with one day simply because it correlated? I've always followed this reasoning because I have no other explanation, at least I agree it would be the loudest as the sensor is right there, nor am I smart enough to come up with another, but it's not as if the knock sensor is practically deaf to the other cylinders, right? If a highly trained ear can hear knock on any cylinder and the sensor is tuned to pick up a certain frequency for knock, then is placement really that critical?

Actually I read something about this somewhere. The knock sensor may rest on top of 4th cylinder, but it is able to know which cylinder is knocking by the crank angle sensor. Something like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LOL, I understand that....cheeky...

I'm asking if Subaru put the sensor there because they perhaps know of cyl #4's issues or if they just happened to place it there because it was easy to access if it failed or just because or whatever, know what I mean? A lot of people follow the belief it's over #4 for a reason and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with it, but my uneducated theory is that it isn't THAT critical considering it's ability to detect knock on other cyls just as easily...if that makes sense.

Anyways, not a big deal. It's not like I'm going to re-engineer the location because there's no need to.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This guy recently posted a 4 part series on youtube about the cylinder 4 cooling kit.. it's pretty decent for those not familiar with the coolant flow path.

·
Registered
305 Posts
First off, thanks to Dom for doing the research and work to offer this product to the community. And for providing an explanation of how the kit works.

I was hoping to get input from anyone that has experience with this kit..

Did anyone notice that while the EGTs that Dom shared have a smaller delta and show lower temps for cylinder 4, the average EGT across the cylinders has increased by 18 degrees?

EGTs without the kit (848, 832, 827, 901) - AFR: 13.4
Min: 827
Max: 901
Avg: 852
Range: 74

EGTs with the kit (874, 862, 865, 882) - AFR: ??
Min: 862
Max: 882
Avg: 870.75
Range: 20

This could very well just be the result of his testing conditions. It would be insightful to know his testing methodology for the before & after EGT measurements. How were the EGTs measured? Were ELH or UELH used on the test car? What were the ambient temperatures? How long had the engine been running? Were the EGTs taken at idle, while driving, WOT? What were the coolant, oil, and IAT temperatures? What were the Air/Fuel ratios? Was there a single 'downstream' EGT measured as well? Obviously there are a lot of variables and not all of them are controllable, but they will impact the results.

The higher average could simply be the result of 'harsher' testing conditions and demonstrate that the kit is still able to lower the cylinder 4 temperature even as the temperatures of the other cylinders increase. The smaller delta across cylinders can offer an advantage for tuning and the lower temps for cylinder 4 may help keep it happier. I'm just curious if this impacts overall cooling or flow in a negative way. Just hoping to see some more testing results.

Has anyone monitored the change in avg/max coolant temp or EGT after adding the kit? Have the temps increased, decreased or stayed the same?

Sorry.. I have a science background and prefer to see data and controlled testing conditions :)

And for those that will say it:
... yes, I know I could/should spend the $85 for his kit, do the testing myself, and report back :lol:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts