IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Got a CEL pop up and ap showed misfire on Cylinder 3 so got a compression test done and sure enough low. So i go to you guys for any advice on what is the best and efficient route to go? If i rebuild/ motor swap i was going to go iag stage 2 route and best quote so far is $8600. I still owe $13k on it and kbb price shows at $13-16k.

Car is 2015 STI with 116k miles. Mods currently are
IAG Aos
DW65c pump
Invidia cbe
Aem cold air intake
Cobb ebcs

Looking forward to your input/ advice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You won’t get kbb value for a car with a blown motor. If you want to sell it out an oem type ra block. If not, build it.

stage 2 Iag shortblock for 8600 is incredibly cheap. That’s what I’d personally do. My stage 2 tuff block cost me 11k from Iag

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
This is a tough one. If you plan to keep it, a 2019+ OEM short block (705/RA block) is going to be the most economical and reliable stock-to-stage-2 way to go.

To get what you owe on it, it would need to be REALLY mint, one owner, maintenance history records, etc. Otherwise, with a blown motor, you'll likely get offers for less than what you owe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a tough one. If you plan to keep it, a 2019+ OEM short block (705/RA block) is going to be the most economical and reliable stock-to-stage-2 way to go.

To get what you owe on it, it would need to be REALLY mint, one owner, maintenance history records, etc. Otherwise, with a blown motor, you'll likely get offers for less than what you owe.
Thanks for the reply! So you would not consider a built block from IAG or renner or any other company?

I figured as much for not getting what i owe and really appreciate the input.

Love your products btw

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Thanks for the reply! So you would not consider a built block from IAG or renner or any other company?

I figured as much for not getting what i owe and really appreciate the input.

Love your products btw
No problem.

It's a lot of expense for that power level. If you're sure you're going to do even more power upgrades in the future, then sure, build the engine.

For the newer OEM short blocks have been proven to handle more power and E85 is a much kinder fuel. Definitely don't skimp on fueling! It will cost more than you expect, but is critical to engine safety.

Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem.

It's a lot of expense for that power level. If you're sure you're going to do even more power upgrades in the future, then sure, build the engine.

For the newer OEM short blocks have been proven to handle more power and E85 is a much kinder fuel. Definitely don't skimp on fueling! It will cost more than you expect, but is critical to engine safety.

Thanks for the kind words!
Is it possible to order a 2019+ shortblock from subaru? I guess I'll search around the forum for information.

From what I've seen iag built blocks range around 3k just shy of 4k (depending on stages). I'm open to the idea of oem blocks if possible but i guess i need to do research for shops in orange county, ca as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm aiming for 350-400 range but really just whatever i can gain from fully bolt on. I'm planning flex with elh.
i'd say narrow down said goals. cause a turbo is technically a "bolt on", and pending what turbo you can have a huge range in how much power it'll make. for 350whp the stock ra block will work fine. from what i understand it'll work at 400 too, but to be safe at 400 the iag stage 2 tuff or stage 2.5 is what i'd go with.

are you planning on racing it at all? or is it just a street car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'd say narrow down said goals. cause a turbo is technically a "bolt on", and pending what turbo you can have a huge range in how much power it'll make. for 350whp the stock ra block will work fine. from what i understand it'll work at 400 too, but to be safe at 400 the iag stage 2 tuff or stage 2.5 is what i'd go with.

are you planning on racing it at all? or is it just a street car?
You got a point there about the turbo 🤔. Stock turbo is probably where i want it for now. Just getting it up and running healthy is what i probably aim for right now.

I plan to go to the tracks at some point but mostly street car. Appreciate the time and effort by the way.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You got a point there about the turbo 🤔. Stock turbo is probably where i want it for now. Just getting it up and running healthy is what i probably aim for right now.

I plan to go to the tracks at some point but mostly street car. Appreciate the time and effort by the way.
if you are going to track it at all, read the class rules for what you can/cant do before doing any mods, to ensure you wont be bumped to a higher class.

if you are staying stock turbo, dont expect 350-400. on e85 i have seen people hit in the 340ish range with over 400wtq. which is alot more fun than people give it credit for. i'd say dont worry as much about numbers and just make a fun car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you are going to track it at all, read the class rules for what you can/cant do before doing any mods, to ensure you wont be bumped to a higher class.

if you are staying stock turbo, dont expect 350-400. on e85 i have seen people hit in the 340ish range with over 400wtq. which is alot more fun than people give it credit for. i'd say dont worry as much about numbers and just make a fun car.
Awesome thanks for the info...i didn't know there was any requirements or mod tier for classes. I'll definitely look into that.

That's really my main goal. The car even right now is still fun to drive and just having it healthy would be good enough for me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info...i didn't know there was any requirements or mod tier for classes. I'll definitely look into that.

That's really my main goal. The car even right now is still fun to drive and just having it healthy would be good enough for me.
yeah i made the mistake of modding THEN getting into racing, found out with my mods i was bumped into SM class for autocross, and to Competition class for the local trackcross haha. they just split the competition class to over and under 400whp, but last year i finished dead last, cause the cars above me were at least 300lbs lighter and all made 200+whp more than me with r comp tires....meanwhile i'm here with a full interior street car making 360whp haha. everyone else in the class was making 550 or more, haha. autocross i could typically finish middle of the pack, but trackcross i was severely outclassed. i'll see how i do this year with the under 400whp class, but if i am not at least somewhat competitive i'll be going back to a stock turbo to actually be competitive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i made the mistake of modding THEN getting into racing, found out with my mods i was bumped into SM class for autocross, and to Competition class for the local trackcross haha. they just split the competition class to over and under 400whp, but last year i finished dead last, cause the cars above me were at least 300lbs lighter and all made 200+whp more than me with r comp tires....meanwhile i'm here with a full interior street car making 360whp haha. everyone else in the class was making 550 or more, haha. autocross i could typically finish middle of the pack, but trackcross i was severely outclassed. i'll see how i do this year with the under 400whp class, but if i am not at least somewhat competitive i'll be going back to a stock turbo to actually be competitive.
Sounds like you were going against miatas or s2k lol. But so far I've been in the subie world just under a year and been researching whatever i can, so long time lurker and just taking notes.

Have you ever heard of renner racing development? Seems like they have their own builds too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Build the motor. Subarus are a slippery slope and it’s common for people to modify beyond what was originally planned. A built block will give you flexibility in the future. I also don’t know if enough is known about the RA block to say it will last when modified and driven hard. My 2 cents. Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds like you were going against miatas or s2k lol. But so far I've been in the subie world just under a year and been researching whatever i can, so long time lurker and just taking notes.

Have you ever heard of renner racing development? Seems like they have their own builds too.
i think it was one miata, one 240sx (ls3 in that iirc), and 1990 audi something or another, a mini cooper s and something else. basically everything was either making around 500whp or they were 1k+lbs lighter making the same ish whp. haha. i was severely outclassed. but oh well. it's fun

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So update,

Just went to the dealer and they offered to take my car in for 14k and take a 2021 out the door 42k not including the down
Build the motor. Subarus are a slippery slope and it’s common for people to modify beyond what was originally planned. A built block will give you flexibility in the future. I also don’t know if enough is known about the RA block to say it will last when modified and driven hard. My 2 cents. Enjoy your car.
I was thinking that too. Since i got the car I've been going down the rabbit hole in what to do next and i have a feeling ill do the same thing once it's up and running again.

In the future, planning for kids eventually, would the car sell for a decent price if that was ever the case? Its still new and i have not seen much of built engine cars being sold for the VA yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts