IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey You Guys (Sloth)!

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, and decided to post about my 2015 Limited STI, which I purchased new in Oct 2014. This post comes from some misfortune with my car. Quick and dirty facts, car was stock until early 2019 when I put a Cobb SF intake, Cobb DP and an e-tune. I also have an ACT Xtreme duty clutch. I'll attach logs if ya wanna se what that looked like (WOT 3rd gear). NO I DO NOT THINK IT WAS THE TUNE OR TUNER!!! Car ran great until Feb of 2020, when I got a Cyl 2 misfire code. P0302, P00000 etc. Initial problems; slight engine hesitation, fuel smell at idle, and quite a shake, again at idle. Swapped plugs (one step cooler), and packs for all 4 cylinders and weirdly enough it solved the problem for a few months (actually the logs are from AFTER the swap). Next I thought injector, swapped that out, problem persisted. Time for a compression test. 60psi.... Engine has to come out. I don't know what is wrong yet, of course I'll let you know!

I really love this car, and have always wanted to properly have one built. So here is what I am having done to my car:

SHOP P AND L Motorsports:

IAG Stage 2 Tuff Short Block.
ARP Head Studs
Killer B Oil Pickup
New OE Oil Pump
Gates Timing Belt and New Water Pump
Both Cylinder Heads Rebuilt, stock cams.

Cobb Flex Fuel Kit.
ID Top Feed 1050X injectors.
P and L Top Feed Conversion, Fuel Rails and TGV Delete
AEM E85 320 Fuel Pump Hard Wired

Cobb 20g
Perrin Turbo inlet
Process West TMIC

IAG AOS

P&L custom ELH header and up-pipe and Keeping Cobb SF and DP.
TIAL 38mm MVS EWG

Pro-Tune(Of-Course)
OEM new flywheel
ACT Xtreme Duty Performance clutch.

Can't wait to see what kind of power it'll make, but first and foremost this is a daily driven car that needs to be reliable. I never beat on it, but drive it like a Subaru. I'll keep everyone posted on the build and what the heck happened inside the Cyl 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very similar build minus the IAG Stage 2 block and FP Blue. I am interested in the FP Blue so will be very curious to how much power you make with this turbo.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Ditch the stock oem headers and up pipe. You're leaving way to much power on the table. Upgrade to ELH and enjoy those gains. Now is really the time to do it since your upgrading your block and turbo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems, but I'm excited for the build! I think I'm going to do the same with mine, when the day comes. I'm really digging this (VA) generation of STI and plan to keep this car around, even if the engine goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ditch the stock oem headers and up pipe. You're leaving way to much power on the table. Upgrade to ELH and enjoy those gains. Now is really the time to do it since your upgrading your block and turbo.
Good point! But I really like the rumble of the ULH. And 400whp on corn would be like the MAX amount of power. I'm more in this for a very reliable build.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the problems, but I'm excited for the build! I think I'm going to do the same with mine, when the day comes. I'm really digging this (VA) generation of STI and plan to keep this car around, even if the engine goes.
I know! Sucks to have problems, but its an excuse to start building! Definitely gunna keep yall up to date on how this thing turns out. Love this car!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So car just got to the shop yesterday. Tear down has begun. Can't wait to see what the 2 cylinder looks like. 😅

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
Trust Jay, and he didn't count/include the tune.

Good point! But I really like the rumble of the ULH. And 400whp on corn would be like the MAX amount of power. I'm more in this for a very reliable build.
ELH will be more reliable, not less. I like the rumble - and yet I miss it not one whit. The rumble is the sound of a slow Subie! Seriously! Your car can sound different yet awesome.

Seriously - again - with the work you are doing for performance, not not going ELH makes no sense.

The stock intercooler is good. Off hand I'd do ELH, EBC and external wastegate before the TMIC.

Here are others posts on this on this site

Keep the stock intercooler... It will recover better than any other aftermarket TMIC out there. It's also significantly lighter than any aftermarket option. If you decide to go with a big turbo with big boost and want to keep the TMIC (I wouldn't), then you would want to look up upgrades... Mostly so that you don't blow the stock one apart.
The stock TMIC is really good on the VA STI. We regularly make over 400whp on these with everything from 20g turbos to G25-660s. Highly recommend keeping it. The VA WRX on the other hand definitely needs an upgraded intercooler!

and I know I can find more of the same . . .

Reactions: Prymal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trust Jay, nad he didn't count/include the tune.

ELH will be more reliable, not less. I like the rumble - and yet I miss it not one whit. The rumble is the sound of a slow Subie! Seriously! Your car can sound different yet awesome.

Seriously - again - with the work you are doing for perfromance, not not going ELH makes no sense.

The stock intercooler is good. Off hand I'd do ELH, EBC and external wastegate before the TMIC.

Here are others posts on this on this site

and I know I can find more of the same . . .
Thanks for the input! I think I'll start looking into some of those options, maybe ditch the IC for a more sound exhaust/turbo setup.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I 100% agree with mheyman. The way i see it, if your building the engine, might as go all out. After you spend the money once, you may not want to do it again later 😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you've convinced me to go with the ELH and an EBCS! I'm going to order the IAG ELH. Still not 100% on the EWG? How loud/rude is it? And how much power do you think I'm leaving without it? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to let you know the IAG ELH is not something they make in house. They use the same supplier as many other brands. I'm not saying it's bad but it wouldn't be the same quality as the products they make themselves. I would recommend Killer B or HKS if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just to let you know the IAG ELH is not something they make in house. They use the same supplier as many other brands. I'm not saying it's bad but it wouldn't be the same quality as the products they make themselves. I would recommend Killer B or HKS if you're on a budget.
EDIT

Thanks for the suggestions!

Okay after some research, gunna go killer B headers, grimmspeed UP, TIAL gate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update today!

So I called my tuner and discussed options for a header, an EBCS and an EWG set up. Here's what we're going to do; P and L in-house header along with an in-house up pipe mating a TIAL 38mm MVS to it. Also doing an HOA boost controller.

Another update on the FP blue. Apparently they've been having problems with the turbo so we are going to switch it out for a Cobb TD05 20G.

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
True, but they are between 1/2 and 1/3 the cost. If you have the funds,the KB is better. . . .

EDIT

Update today!

So I called my tuner and discussed options for a header, an EBCS and an EWG set up. Here's what we're going to do; P and L in-house header along with an in-house up pipe mating a TIAL 38mm MVS to it. Also doing an HOA boost controller.

Another update on the FP blue. Apparently they've been having problems with the turbo so we are going to switch it out for a Cobb TD05 20G.
Tial is awesome :)

Still not 100% on the EWG? How loud/rude is it?
it's more about response than power. Route it back to your exhaust :) I can be "quiet" and legal. and leave little on the table. It is more of a pain to work on that way - but worth it.

Reactions: Aviator250

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone! Update on the build. The long block has been taken out and taken apart. The guys at P and L seem to think its a valve issue. They said the top chamber/bottom right valve could be the culprit. I can't see a problem with it, but its only a picture. However, the old shortblock is just getting trashed so I still wonder if its a piston issue.

Other than that, all my parts are in and the car should be alive again soon. I'll keep yall updated!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did they say why the think it's the valve? Factory flaw or something to do with the mods?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did they say why the think it's the valve? Factory flaw or something to do with the mods?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
They didn't. Other than the fact that it looked slightly off, possibly burned. IDK if I'm convinced it's a valve vs a ringland. As far as mods, before all of this it had an SF intake and a Cobb DP. E-tuned with the logs in my original post. I'd say its 50/50 if the mods caused it. The tune was safe by all measured parameters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

The build is coming along great, got some pics (I know, not the best but, still an update). Small thing, I decided to do a Perrin turbo intake and an AOS (can't believe I forgot that initially lol )

Next step, break the engine in and get it on the dyno.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car is finally done!! Picked it up yesterday, all went very well at the shop. First start up was great, no smoke of any kind since I've had it. Next step is to put 500 break in miles, with oil changes at the 100, 300 and 500 mark. Then we'll put it up on the dyno and have JR tune the car! Thanks to all of you who gave me the great suggestions of parts. BTW the ELH sounds amazing!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts