IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know. I don't have the cusco lip. I'm currently attmepting to design a complete aluminum undertray, from front to diffuser and wanted to see the cusco design for my own edification.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VSGTS14 said:
well rallyarmor makes an aluminum undertray too..and so does someone else...

and subaru makes a rear diff protector...now you just need to get some molds of the side plastics.
I want to make something more weight concious than the rally based setups. I'm doing this for aerodynamic reasons not underbody protection reasons. The goal is to have a nearly flat bottom from tip to tail! I'm starting by enclosing the open, turbulent areas now, basically just augmenting what subaru already started. If that goes well I will probably attack the front undertray as well.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
VSGTS14 said:
well for 2006 sti, subaru made all the underbody plastics aerodynamic if you didn't know...you could just pick those up...there's a lot more that needs to be done than just having a flat bottom.
Thanks, I'm well aware of the OEM aero bits that were added in 2006. See my thread here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61338

I think the additional piece, under the transmission, still leaves a lot to be desired (and wasn't a USDM part.) I've got tons of photos of flat bottom race cars, elises, and enzos etc and have read a bit about it. The concepts are very simple and our underbody will be easy to improve upon.

Here is a link that talks about a completely flat bottom in rake being effective, but that a diffuser acts as a pump increasing its effectiveness.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/diffuser.htm

Your posts are appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.