IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says - installed a rear adjustable Cusco sway bar yesterday. Worked pretty good. I've set it to the softest setting for now.

Handling - WoW. The car is so much more neutral even on the softest sway bar setting. Most of my test driving has been on cloverleafs and I was not able to break the rear end loose. I tried a couple of abrupt lift throttle during mid corner and no drama - the car just tightened the line a little. I still like a little more lift throttle oversteer so I'll probably set the sway to the middle stiffness. I also have camber plates so I dialed those in as well. I have them set to about -2 deg up front and that feels pretty good. I think I have a little too much rear negative camber but not bad. I might have to buy some rear camber bolts to reduce the negative camber some.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
2004 STi Available ASAP!!!

have you got sti springs also? im just curious to see how they mate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Holy heck that car's clean! I'd be very interested of a review of the bar on a stiffer setting :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a month old. It should be pretty clean. :wink:

I don't think I'll ever get to the stiffest setting. The car already turns pretty good. Also, body roll is less than before. I'll try the stiffest setting but I don't think I'll need that much. I'm friggen happy! :D With three mods - front strut bar $60, rear sway bar $170 and front camber plates $200, this car handles better than my previous autox prepped car.

No springs yet. I'll probably run a few autox events before I do any more changes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good for you! Any chance you can post the part numbers and vendor you got them from? And if you've got the time a brief description of the install process for each?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get everything at gruppe-s. I don't believe the WRX parts are different that the STi as far as strut bar and camber plates. Just the rear sway bar is CUS-669-311BJ22. Gruppe-S didn't have the sway bars in stock so I bought it from Rallispec. Cost a bit more but I didn't feel like waiting.

Front strut bar was pretty easy. Just unbolt the nuts on the strut and put it on. Actually, you had to play with it parts somewhat to get them on. Also, the A/C line needs to be bent down a little and the bracket holding that line may need to be removed. I took it off because it was easier to mount the bar. Then, tie wrap the A/C line to the bar.

The rear bar was just as easy. Jack up the rear of the car - both sides. Unbolt the sway bar from the endlinks. Unbolt the U-brackets holding the sway bar. Grease the bushings that were provided. Put those on the bar. Mount the sway bar with the original U-brackets/bolts and then bolt the bar to the endlinks.

The camber plates were moderately difficult. You have to remove the struts and need a spring compressor to remove the strut mount. It's not bad if you've done them before. It took me about 30-45 min each side. The problem I'm having is with the spherical bearings. I didn't grease them well enough so there's a popping sound when I turn the wheel at low speeds. Even with them fully greased, I might have to get some nylon washers to stick under the camber plates to get them to rotate freely.

I'm on the middle setting but I haven't had a chance to drive that much. My commute to work is all local (5 miles) and there was a ton of traffic. Initial impression - turns even better. I got to haul a$$ around one corner and I was able to turn in faster. I already entered that corner faster than typical but I could've gone even faster. I'll test this setting out on some cloverleafs tonite and play with the throttle. See if I can get some throttle lift oversteer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You sir are a gentleman! Looking forward to your handling update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts