IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Cusco Limited Slip Differential is any good, or what it does for that matter. I met a kid with one on his STi and he couldnt explain what it did to me. Does anyone know? Can you please explain??? :notsure:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
It depends on which one you get. Cusco makes 1-way, 1.5-way, and 2-way LSD's. These vary the degree of which the LSD functions under braking.

However, under acceleration, the holding force of the internal clutches should be much greater than stock. The clutches should last longer, too.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stretch said:
It depends on which one you get. Cusco makes 1-way, 1.5-way, and 2-way LSD's. These vary the degree of which the LSD functions under braking.

However, under acceleration, the holding force of the internal clutches should be much greater than stock. The clutches should last longer, too.
So which one should I get, if any!? Still not really sure what the benifits are!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Some manufacturers make LSD's in different configurations and are commonly classified as 1 way, 2way, and 1.5 way. This designation reflects the design of the cam groove which enables the LSD to function differently under different loads. A 1 way differential means that the cam is shaped in such way as to have positive lock only when accelerating. The 2 way is constructed in a way to have positive lock motion in either acceleration or deceleration. The 1.5 way is a new term used to describe the 2 way cam which enables different lock up rates during the two directional forces. The 1.5 distribute positive lock stronger under acceleration than when decelerating. The 1.5 way can provide more forgiving balance when braking than a full 2 way setup, although it is less effective for true racing applications, it provides easier operation for beginners in throttle off conditions. It is also effective for front drive cars which need extra stability during braking.

Cusco LSD - Three ways to set your CUSCO limited slip differentials : one way, 1.5 way and two way. One way L.S.D. specially suited for front wheel drive cars and 4WD car front axles. Activates under acceleration, and acts as a true LSD when the throttle is off. A great chance for improved lap times. A CUSCO original design. 1.5 way LSD Activates under acceleration while the understeer is less than on the 2 way LSD. Recommended for drivers having difficulty with 2 way LSD understeer and one way LSD braking. Two way LSD Recommended on the rear axle for rear drive cars. Activates on both acceleration and deceleration. Recommended for those who prefer hot driving action and big angle drift.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Z1 Performance said:
sti gsxr 1235 - what are you using your car for? What are your power goals? With this info, I can recommend the best LSD for you, as we stock all of them
As of now I am running the stock turbo with Cobb stage 1 and a CAI, but I am looking to eventually get the gt35r and be looking at 450 WHP. As of right now however, I am running on the stock turbo and was wondering if I would feel the difference on the street or only the track?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
sti gsxr 1235 said:
As of now I am running the stock turbo with Cobb stage 1 and a CAI, but I am looking to eventually get the gt35r and be looking at 450 WHP. As of right now however, I am running on the stock turbo and was wondering if I would feel the difference on the street or only the track?
My guess is you would probably notice it all over.. but you would only benafit from it at the track ;)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Z1 Performance said:
you'll notice the differences right away - the car just does everything better, and becomes much more of a "point and shoot" affair. If you do any sort of track days or auto-x, the differences vs stock are even more pronounced
now how much do the 1 1.5 and 2 way run?

·
Premium Member
14,740 Posts
I am interested to know about this too. Eventually my car will run the APS TSR70 and shoot for big numbers and keep it as a daily driver....Brucearu'ish type car! Adam, I also plan to track the car at the 1/4 strip and go to Limerock and Pocono Track days....which one would be best? It will also be street driven as well!

·
Registered
103 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
James Elterman, driver of shimmysideways is sponcered by Cusco. I got to ride in his car, with lal the cusco goodies (including diffs), and it was quite a ride! I know he loves the diffs, i would email him for a more informed opinion.

-Spaze
I've been driving the aforementioned STi w/ Cusco lsd's. The diff's make the car so much fun, it becomes a drug habit that needs to be fed often. :) I'm seriously considering them for my '04. My only concern for everyday use will be how tight they are and the resultant chatter in low speed parking situations. The wife may not want to put up with that in the family car.

Spaze,
Were you the one riding with James during the fun runs Sunday?

Andy

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
AuSTi - I've had the Cusco diffs in several of my cars, so if you ever need some advise on the setup, etc let me know.

Chatter wise, I've figured out several ways to completely eliminate it...it has everything to do with the specific fluid you run, and how you set the diffs up for lockup. You're in a bit different of a situation as you run track only, but for my cars, I leave them at 60% lockup, and have lately been addicted to using Motorcraft (eek, I know) 80w140 fluid - it works unbelievably well, and does not need an additive. I've previously used Mobil 1 (junk), Castrol dino (not bad) and Motul (better), but the Motorcraft works the best

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
A Cusco 1.5 way rear diff is on my list of things to buy... unfortunately I still have to pay off all the upgrades I just bought...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Z1 Performance said:
AuSTi - I've had the Cusco diffs in several of my cars, so if you ever need some advise on the setup, etc let me know.

Chatter wise, I've figured out several ways to completely eliminate it...it has everything to do with the specific fluid you run, and how you set the diffs up for lockup. You're in a bit different of a situation as you run track only, but for my cars, I leave them at 60% lockup, and have lately been addicted to using Motorcraft (eek, I know) 80w140 fluid - it works unbelievably well, and does not need an additive. I've previously used Mobil 1 (junk), Castrol dino (not bad) and Motul (better), but the Motorcraft works the best
Thanks for the advice, I'll let James know also about the fluid. The only time it is noticable is leaving grid at some events, but once on course :D .

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
SPOOLN STI said:
Some manufacturers make LSD's in different configurations and are commonly classified as 1 way, 2way, and 1.5 way. This designation reflects the design of the cam groove which enables the LSD to function differently under different loads. A 1 way differential means that the cam is shaped in such way as to have positive lock only when accelerating. The 2 way is constructed in a way to have positive lock motion in either acceleration or deceleration. The 1.5 way is a new term used to describe the 2 way cam which enables different lock up rates during the two directional forces. The 1.5 distribute positive lock stronger under acceleration than when decelerating. The 1.5 way can provide more forgiving balance when braking than a full 2 way setup, although it is less effective for true racing applications, it provides easier operation for beginners in throttle off conditions. It is also effective for front drive cars which need extra stability during braking.

Cusco LSD - Three ways to set your CUSCO limited slip differentials : one way, 1.5 way and two way. One way L.S.D. specially suited for front wheel drive cars and 4WD car front axles. Activates under acceleration, and acts as a true LSD when the throttle is off. A great chance for improved lap times. A CUSCO original design. 1.5 way LSD Activates under acceleration while the understeer is less than on the 2 way LSD. Recommended for drivers having difficulty with 2 way LSD understeer and one way LSD braking. Two way LSD Recommended on the rear axle for rear drive cars. Activates on both acceleration and deceleration. Recommended for those who prefer hot driving action and big angle drift.
There is good info here. I want to add just a tiny bit, 2way type LSD have a preload/initial torque setting to them. 1.5 way type LSD can be set with/without any preload/initial torque.

Edited to keep it simple.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts