IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone applied one of these, yet?

I had a full Neuspeed setup on my Civic (HAD, I'm sad it's off, already)

Upper front brace
Lower front x-brace (which the product I'm asking about is like)
Lower rear brace and 22mm sway bar package

Let me first say that I've read every thread in this forum pertaining to the STi's inherent structural stiffness. I understand how the struts and springs are already very close to body crossmembers. . . but I also know they can all be improved. That said, I'll be performing a full suspension brace application one I pick my STi up.

The lower front x-brace I had on my Civic tied the lower control arms in the front together as if they were welded right next to each other. Steering response, especially when paired with the upper brace, was immediate. I'm assuming the Cusco front lower arm bar product is designed for similar (if not the same) improvement.

Anyone else have this? As Vivid Racing lists two types, I'm wondering which type people are using. Type II I believe has both crossmembers (as opposed to just the one) and it says that it's not applicable with the BPM downpipe. I've been trying to figure out exactly what that means, but I'll assume it's got something to do with the path that specific aftermarket downpipe takes. . . and that the Type II brace's crossmembers must somehow interfere with that downpipe's path to the cat.

I'll be placing an order probably in the next couple of weeks for everything. . .

Upper front brace
Lower front arm bar
Rear brace (possibly the V-brace, too)
Larger front and rear swaybars
Perrin rear swaybar endlinks
(Possibly) Cusco adjustable camber plates

And for that matter, does anyone know how well the fitment for that V-brace is? :p

I'll also say that I fully intend to track this car. At the very least, some serious autocross work.

After placing 3rd overall in the novice group at my very first autocross, I'm totally hooked on the event, and I was told that for having an inherently slow car (2002 Civic EX) that I did extremely well. No doubt my suspension setup (which also included Koni adj shocks and H&R Sport springs) had a decent hand in keeping my tires firmly-planted to the pavement and, consequenlty, my speeds up and times down. I am fully-determined to first build-up the entire suspension on the STi (short of a full race coilover system) until I'm convinced that some decent engine upgrades might be in order. Might as well do the most with the power I'm getting before adding more, right?

So. . . if anyone who knows could share their thoughts or experience with these unusual products in the next week or so, I would be in your debt. 8)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I "kind of" agree in your line of reasoning for handling improvements - except for one problem: finding the parts that fit, or exist at all even. Ive already got the strut bars in - pretty standard. But I looked under to see about putting end links and sway bars - and hey! what the hell is that? gotta do a little research to see about the fit. I may be wrong, but the guy in the shop said it wouldnt work with the WRX types he had (cusco or GTspec?) because of the shape of the bar, and the pre-existing end links. if i sound a little confusing thats because i am confused. Im just saying to do a little research to make sure that you get the part that fits, and to make sure that you dont get any "redundant" parts either - the STi already has some trick bits. keep me posted and let me know what you turn up. i want those swaybars dammit :-?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Let me start off by saying I am not an expert (as you will probably be able to tell) but I've done some racing and a lot of research (plus some of my schooling might help since I'm almost a mechanical engineer... actually, it'll probably just make me contradict myself :)). Also, a lot of this theory varies from auto platform to platform, but I'll try and apply some general thoughts.

The springs and struts on an STi are already quite stiff. If you begin adding big sway bars, it might not add a lot to the overall handling. Basically, there's two trains of thoughts on suspension settings. 1) Stiff Springs/Shocks and 2) Big Swaybars. If you toss both on together, you might start lifting the inside tires on hard curves (which reducing contact patches are not good). You want a car that'll set in the curve and maintain a nice contact patch throughout.

As far as chassis stiffening, I'm not 100% sure. I'd say strut bars are a decent (not to expensive) upgrade that'll help a bit. I'm not a big fan of 3 point bars (that tie on anything but the strut towers) because they're adding forces onto an area not designed to take it. These areas may or may not deform (there's lots of variable that affect this of course like the platform rigidity and how the force is applied) but I'd rather not risk it. The lower and upper braces I'd leave alone too (because driving the car you can see it's quite stiff). Doesn't the STi already have pillowball joints in the upper strut mounts? Would the Cusco's just add some more adjustability?

If I were you, I'd wait to drive the car before ordering a bunch of stuff. I'd hate to see you order stuff that isn't going to help that much (especially since there's so many other things to spend money on :)). Plus, driving an STi is very different than driving a FWD car. Hell, it's even got some different characteristics than a regular WRX. Get it on the track and test it out first, then start changing things out 1 piece at a time.

Sorry for the long reply and if I've covered stuff you already know. Guess I just don't feel like doing homework right now is all :). Of course, this is all just my opinion.

·
Registered
284 Posts
BTW, could anyone please confirm the status of Perrin swaybars as far as compatibility with the STi?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THEIVES!!!!

Fhqwhgads, I totally understand the reasoning behind your reply. Now that I think about it, perhaps I will wait a good month or so after break-in and get it on the autocross course before really judging the chassis.

Also, I really didn't consider the addition of stress to the floor of the trunk as something that the chassis was not originally designed for. If I were to go along with that in the future, perhaps I should first consider how to brace the area the brace is being braced to. :lol:

Hmmmm. . . okay, I can save myself a lot of effort by just sitting tight on this. Perhaps I was underestimating the car itself. . . when so many other times I've been overestimating the cars I get into. Hmm. . . how's THAT for a product sales pitch? :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
let's get this straight

just have a look at what the tuners in JPN did to the bugeyed STI (01 model). that was one of the changes they did to ensure the suspension can do its job. hope image will be displayed below just fine.

looks like it ain't gonna work (don't know how to attach photo),
if u post your e-mail address i'll send u some photos how they
did the attachment. And mostly i would have to agree with the advice
of the other guys, take it in one piece at a time to know which one
is really taking effect.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the Cusco Type II brace on mine with a STi carbon front brace. I also had these previously on my WRX. You're probably not going to notice as big of an improvement as you did on the Civic, but it does work. You notice slightly better intitial turn in and transitional response.

I'd seriously suggest, the STi lateral and trailing links before the bigger sway bars. They made a huge improvement on the WRX. Totally eliminated the understeer and made the stock rear bar much more effective.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm. . . I'll have to look into that. Just the prices on those lateral links are :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts