15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Just bought a WRX, sorta having second thoughts

is 18 too much for the sport wagon rims because 16 dont handle the car well

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
STi sedan

If you're gonna use 18's for street then hey go for it. But I'd think that's too big if you're gonna off-road.

·
Registered
281 Posts
nah

Generally speaking, when your rim size goes up, you want your tire sidewall to go down by the same amount. If you go from a 16" rim to an 18" rim, you want your sidewall an inch lower in profile (1" on a side x 2 = 2") so that the overall diameter of the tire stays the same. As long as you do this, you should be able to run any diameter rim. Of course, as you go with a larger rim, you usually go with a wider rim/tire combo. Make sure the width and offset are appropriate for your vehicle. The Tire Rack has good info on fitment.

I am running 17" rims with 215/45-17 tires. They are a good compromise between ride and handling, but more towards handling. They are noisy and can be harsh on uneven roads. 18" rims will be even worse. If you don't care about ride, then they would be fine. However, before I went to 18" rims strictly for handling, I would first get a rear tower brace and stiffer roll bars. The difference between 17" and 18" rims for handling will be marginal at best. If you do want an 18" rim, the recommended tire size is 225/40-18.

J.B.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm planning on getting 18's for my wagon. 17's don't look much bigger than stock to me. Also I plan on getting monstrous brakes, (I know they will fit in some 17's, and a 17 would be lighter than an 18 in the same wheel) and I just like the 18" look better. Planning on getting the new Khumo (MX?) ultra high performance tire, have the ecsta supra's on my MR2 right now. most likely a 225/40 although I have been told by some that since us wagoneers lack the widebody, we should only go 215. As long as I maintain overall tire height I'll be happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts