IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well great damn timing.. my snow tires and rims are supposed to be here this week but it dumped like 6in in the last couple hours that I was at work.

drove home got to the first roundabout...worthless stock tires went in a straight line right into the curb. I wan't going fast 10mph tops but it sounded terrible.

its to dark to see but my rim is definitly messed up scratches all over it wher hit the curb. and my alingment is way off. it sounded like plastic eploding when I hit...but my bumper looked fine. I guess i'll take it to subaru in the morning have them look it over and fix it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn.. 800+?
how much are they if I buy them somewhere else?

I might not have to get a new rim it looks ok..just scraped up.

They could't take my car until friday...but tomorow I'm taking it in so they can look at it and see if any parts need to be ordered.

ugg.. I was gonna buy myself new skis for christmas....I might be paying to fix my messed up car instead.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Aside from the wheel, I thought all you had was a bad alignment? If that's the case, and you aren't going to get a new rim, you shouldn't be out much.

·
Registered
385 Posts
BBS must be making some serious $$$ with the Subaru connection. You and I both know the STi wheels don't cost $800-$900 to make. :roll:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know yet what alls wrong with it. I Think the rim is fine other than some good scratches on it. But I think I bent a control arm...hopefully not. anyway its going in tomorow to get fixed.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I doubt you bent a control arm. The frame would give before that aluminum control arm would.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Somethings wrong the wheel I hit is sitting about 1" farther back towards the wheel well than the other one.. it could just be Toe out though not sure.

i'm taking it in right now

·
Registered
35 Posts
Garaged for winter in Racine

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the STI on that white fluffy stuff. With those first snowfalls we all tend to forget our winter driving skills and can get a bit careless. I live in Wisconsin and we "do" get snow (not as much as in years past, but still slippery white crystals). My "baby" isn't going to see snow but needs to get those factory tires replaced with some new tires that can handle a possible encounter with a bit of rain sometime. Dealerships have warned me that these Bridgestones are strictly dry pavement tires and to be extremely careful even with the slightest amount of rain on the pavement. Hopefully you didn't damage too much with the curb "bumpage" since these cars from Japan don't come cheap to repair...but that pretty much goes for ALL cars these days. :-?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have driven with my stock tires in the rain numerous times and they did fine. I think the dealers are being over paranoid to eliminate liability. The stock tires are fine in the rain, but as they wear down I am sure they will get worse (as does any tire).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got the estimate.
Need new lower control arm
new front strut
alignment.

possibly new wheel.

$945 including parts and labor. why the strut is 360$ is beyond me.

on and 200 if I want the scratch on my bumper fixed.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Get a pic of the control arm they are taking off. I would like to see the damage you did. Have you seen what you did to it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: My STi got hit at the Subaru dealership

No i havn't seen it yet.

i have to bum a ride to check it out...its probably still on the car though they can't get the parts till next week.

·
Registered
897 Posts
RE: Merry Christmas

how much was just the control arm? i got alittle over-confident with my car last ngiht, and slammed the front right wheel right into a curb. now the wheel sits about an inch back, and then the left front wheel is pointed straight, the right one is pointing right a decent bit. i got under there today and looked and found that only the control arm is bent. the tie rod end piece is fine, and the strut appears to be fine.

·
1st Member: 250k Mile Club
717 Posts
Over two years later, and STi owners are [still] trying to drive on the RE070's. I just don't get it!

·
Registered
667 Posts
STi_This said:
BBS must be making some serious $$$ with the Subaru connection. You and I both know the STi wheels don't cost $800-$900 to make. :roll:
No offence but that is besides the point. PEOPLE NEED TO STOP TRYING TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW ON SUMMER TIRES!!!! How many times has this been posted??? Why take the chance???

I feel no sorrow for those who try to drive in the snow on stock RE070 SUMMER tires.

The RE070s do just fine in the rain.

For the record, a new wheel will cost about $700.00 and that isn't any more than purchasing aftermarket BBS wheels.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
yike's. stock tires and any type of snow are not a good mix. I took mine out for a test drive down my road after i first got it. Yeah right, pulled it right back in the garage and said yep, time to order up some snow tires.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
^^ Lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts