IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this year Connecticut has legalized the use of salt on the roads for snow i dont know about anyone else but this has changed my decision about driving the sti this winter. just posting in case somebody wasnt aware of this already, i plan to maybe take the Sti out to an unplowed parking lot a few times this winter but not daily driving it this year so good luck and have fun :D

CT 04' STi Silver/Silver

·
Registered
410 Posts
Today was probably the last day i drove my STI. Starting tomorrow(actually today considering its 5:30 a.m. right now) its supposed to snow, sleet, etc. So she is gonna hibernate until march at the earliest. I'm acutally picking up a 2000-2001 R34 Skyline V-Spec I from Motorex in late march/early April. I haven't decided if i'm keeping the STI also or not. So this week might be the last i enjoy her ever. Peace!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
D&B Providence Place Mall -- 12/13

yup.....put mine to bed for the winter last week just before the snow storm we got.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
What an absolute shame to park our AWD beast in the winter. I would tend to think that slippery conditions would bring out the best in our car - but then, I can't argue with the damage that salt does.

Lars

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I bought this car to have a fun, fast car to drive all year around. It's not like Subaru isn't going to make anymore. Unless you plan on keeping your STi forever I don't see the point. I bet whoever you sell it to will drive it and not care so driving during the winter will not matter to you, it will just be less time you enjoy it. The way cars are built today it would take many years for salt damage to show it's effects. I drove my old Legacy 5 years and 100k miles through Chicago winters where they salt the roads anytime it snows and there was no salt damage I could see or notice. With my snow tires now I can't wait for it to snow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
as you all may remember, i am the disillusioned 17 year old without any money for an sti. i took my blazer out to a parking lot, then took my moms car (suburban). Sunday, i was stopped after i noticed a police car watching me have fun. i drove away towards the exit, but he drove in front of me. he then threatened me with reckless driving, but let me off because i said my original purpose was to go and learn the winter limits of my car (which wasnt a lie...i just got carried away. ok, maybe it was pushing the truth...). Of course he could tell that i wasnt drunk or high, and i had my license on me, and i was wearing a seat belt and i was nice and respectful. So, CT drivers BEWARE!!!

West Hartford, CT

·
Registered
29 Posts
and btw, that was the most fun i have EVER had in a car. I was going wicked fast sideways, playing long tall sally and jimi hendrix, just rocking out and doing some donuts. That cop did put a damper on things...

·
Registered
24 Posts
How long will this engine last?

So let me get this straight- you will drive it all year long if hell freezes over? Ill point you guys in the right direction if I may...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update: Buzzing noise from engine or transmission

If I wasn't prepared to drive it in snow I'd have to Park it in early September and bring it back out in late May.

I'm going with "the beauty of awd"....and it is beautiful.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My STi is hibernating till the white stuff stops falling.....or, at least till we have a dry day without a lot of salt and sand on the roads. The paint's too soft (IMHO) as I've already gotten several chips at 7200 miles (and I'm very careful about following too closely). Having said all that, as I was cruising around in my AWD Passat in 14" of snow ALL I COULD THINK was "damn, the STi would be sooooooo much fun".

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
As an old girlfriend once said, it did hurt the first time....first time I drove it in the snow, salt, and sand, that is! Sorry, couldn't resist the pun! Now I've gotten over the fact that it won't be shiny everyday and I just may be ok with that. Seriously, this car is great in the snow (with snow tires of course) and it's my daily driver in the winter. My '69 Firebird convertible is the one hibernating 'cuz she doesn't have any underbody coating, galvanized panels, or clear coat like the STi. This car is well protected from rust and with AWD it was absolutely intended to be a winter daily driver. C'mon, it's not an Enzo or anything - in 5 yrs. I'll be looking to trade it in for a new STi with 400hp stock anyway (as long as gas prices stay under $3/gallon). When I get my Ferrari 360 Spider, THAT will be staying in the garage all winter. But the STi? It's a driver...

·
Registered
188 Posts
wutz snow??????

will I need a jacket????

·
Registered
7 Posts
i like the sign how fitting. i will drive my baby to hell and back. i bought my sti(traded a sc400)so that i could drive in snowy weather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts