IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I took my car to a pep boys to have my winter tires put on. Yesterday I went to take off my wheels to bleed my brakes and 1 or 2 lugs per tire were cross threaded. They seemed to get tighter as I loosened them, until they eventually completely stripped the lug or just broke it off. I assume pep boys used an impact and just overtorqued my lugs? Is it worth pursuing the issue with them? I bought a pack of new Doorman studs and lugs for $50 on amazon so it’s not that expensive but incredibly annoying to repair on every single tire.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You can try going after them about it but they will see it as it being a few months since they last worked on the car. I highly doubt they will take care of this. Plus its pep boys, they dont give a crap and do you really want them working on your car again anyways?

They couldnt handle lugs nuts, just imagine trying to do something harder.

·
Registered
694 Posts
^ agreed.

That's not even overtorquing... that's straight up cross threading. They probably put them on with an impact without even threading by hand first.

You could go back with all the broken studs and ask for your money back on the job you had them do... they might go for that. But this is why I always just take wheels to tire shops to have tires put on and then put the wheels on the car myself.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
^ agreed.

You could go back with all the broken studs and ask for your money back on the job you had them do... they might go for that. But this is why I always just take wheels to tire shops to have tires put on and then put the wheels on the car myself.
If you cant trust a shop to put the wheel back on the car correctly then they shouldnt even have your business to begin with. Starting a bolt or nut by hand first is basic fundementals for any technician and mechanic. I mean it really is common sense to be honest. Not following the basic fundementals like that really just shows that the person just doesnt give a F.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This is not that uncommon. Subaru uses a fine M12 x 1.25 pitch. Fine threads are easier to cross thread. I think Toyota and Honda use M12 x 1.5 pitch. The course threads are more tolerant of ham-fisted monkeys with impact guns, but not by much. Subaru lugnuts absolutely need to be hand started. My advice... if you can't do the work yourself is find a good independent Subaru shop. In the meantime like Brapp says just bring in the tires loose if possible. This is why it's good to have a friend with a truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A few months ago I took my car to a pep boys to have my winter tires put on. Yesterday I went to take off my wheels to bleed my brakes and 1 or 2 lugs per tire were cross threaded. They seemed to get tighter as I loosened them, until they eventually completely stripped the lug or just broke it off. I assume pep boys used an impact and just overtorqued my lugs? Is it worth pursuing the issue with them? I bought a pack of new Doorman studs and lugs for $50 on amazon so it’s not that expensive but incredibly annoying to repair on every single tire.
Yup, had this happen to me at a Wheel Works. They had just changed a flat for me, that weekend I went to swap my auto-x wheels on and at least one was cross-threaded. Really lucky to find a local shop open on a Sunday who could change the stud for me so I didn't miss the event I had driven hours to. But I went back to the WW and beefed, I can't remember exactly but they either reimbursed me or put all new studs on that wheel for me. As others said, this ain't NASCAR, the shop should start them by hand, and hand torque at finish if you request it which I always do. Sometimes I make them write the spec for torque (of whatever car I am taking in) on the service order up front.

If this happens to anyone, save the broken one and take it in with you, along with your receipt. They can't expect you to find it right away as often wheels don't come off until next season anyway (next autocross in my case :)).

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had my wheelz done by Americas tire and when my tire rotationg came around, i took my tires off and busted one stud. While checking another, i managed to get the lug off just fine. i then noticed a chip in one of the threads, and as i put the lug back on... it spun fine until it reached that chip; as gentle as i could, it eventually crossthreaded and stripped.

I'm suspecting it's how the tire guys just toss the wheel onto the studs, causing chips in the threads that eventually lead to cross threading.

kinda dont want to ever depend on them taking the lugs on and off now. that said, i got a bunch of dorman studs/lugnuts for replacement.

I use that HarborFreight ball joint press to help push the stud out. i used a hammer on the first one but oh lord, it makes me feel like i'm ruining my bearings from that. besides, this ball joint tool was easier to press the studs out:

3/4" Forged Ball Joint Separator

after that, just seat with washers and a used lugnut, or get a specific wheel stud installer and it becomes cake:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22800-Wheel-Stud-Installer/dp/B000ETUD22/ref=asc_df_B000ETUD22/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312196001716&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4667707358562442170&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031974&hvtargid=pla-459085252314&psc=1

·
Registered
336 Posts
that's frustrating...i take my car to the same discount all the time as i know they start by hand then finish with the torque wrench...took a few times of getting on them about it...i honestly never worried about it using the hammer lol as long as your axle nut is tight it shouldn't affect them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts