IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the back seat today to start removing the sound deadening layer(black tar) of which there is none on the back floor. Under the rear seat there is a cross bar bolted. It looks like it is to help prevent crushing from a side impact but may also help to stiffen the frame of the car. Anyone know? Thanks --Sin52

·
Registered
284 Posts
I assume youre weight saving in the car? any other things you DID remove which helped? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
lighten up. I was light. I was the one who felt attacked.

yes, that is an impact bar. All WRXs have them. And I don't remember seeing any sound deadener under the back seat of my 02 WRX either.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I'm just looking for things to decrease weight. --Sin52

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
did'nt they pretty much leave out all of the creature comforts from the STi? i'm not sure there is really alot to take out that is'nt already gone. are you planning on gutting the interior of your car? personally i'd rather keep the semi-comfortable interior and spend my time building more power. the STi is already close to being under 3000lbs.. without swapping out the glass of the car and gutting the interior i can't see the value of trying to lose a few pounds. but to each thier own.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I agree, the interior is already very light (have you weighed the back seat? It's almost nonexistant since it is just a piece of foam with fabric covering it.

Also the rear window glass is already lightened, so there is no weight to be lost there. Unless you start pulling AC and gutting the dash, there is not a whole lot of weight you can shave. Of course the front seats are pretty heavy compared with race seats, but I would think the side airbags in the seats would be desirable on a street driven STi.

IMO the best place to shave some weight is in the bumper beams, which can be replaced with STi parts, but will also degrade the impact protection of the vehicle.

Check the other threads about weight reduction for other ideas on minimal weight savings but remember, STi and Prodrive have thought about every piece that went into this car to make it perform well and be somewhat comfortable. I like to trust their years of experience on this matter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xman said:
I agree, the interior is already very light (have you weighed the back seat? It's almost nonexistant since it is just a piece of foam with fabric covering it..
Sorry I didn't clarify. I only removed the back seat so I could look under the carpet for sound deadening material. I am not removing my back seat. I got my perrin pully today and hopefully I can install it tonight. Its about 4 pounds lighter than factory. I am going to replace the front bumper mount with a lightweight one also. Would like to find out the weight of the Prodrive P-7 rims to see if they are lighter at all. Will also swap out battery for a lighter one. I don't want to lose the comforts in the car but want it lighter for more flickability in the dirt. --Sin52

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where to get 93 or 94 octane gas in Northern CA

youll like the pulley a lot :) my own bumper beam is on the way. I took out the A/C too. weight off the front end improved "flickability" tremendously. enjoy. on the subject of the battery - check out jegs.com - im going to mount the battery in the trunk for better weight distribution. more flickability :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
olappa said:
youll like the pulley a lot :) my own bumper beam is on the way. I took out the A/C too. weight off the front end improved "flickability" tremendously. enjoy. on the subject of the battery - check out jegs.com - im going to mount the battery in the trunk for better weight distribution. more flickability :)
All good ideas for me to put on the wintertime work list.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the whole weight reduction thing strikes me as being a "reaching for pennies, while missing the gold." situation. especially on this car.
while removing the A/C might save weight you'll regret it on a really hot day. as for moving the battery to the trunk...that works on heavy RWD cars like older camaros that have a big heavy V8 in the nose, but what's it worth on the STi? does anyone know off hand what the front/rear weight ratio is on the STI? with the small aluminum 4banger and AWD system it can't be all that bad. once again, they're your cars and you're entitled to do to them as you please.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
No doubt... besides, anyone who's ridden in an STi knows there is no sound deadening material... :D Never been in a car with so much roadnoise at 30mph in my life.

There are very few creature comforts in the STi. The backseat would hurt like hell for anything over a 5 minute ride and the front seats are great for the guy having fun (driver) but will generate complaints by passengers unless they are into the whole STi thing as well. And don't expect spouses to want to take long trips in it.

So why take an already fast, fun, noisy, somewhat spartan car and make it worse as far as the noise and comfort (or lack of it)?

If you were a serious racer, this would be one thing... otherwise wait for Vishnu to figure out what he's doing and get a stage I kit or whatever and get some extra hp.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
well the weight distribution is 58%/42%, so it really isn't that much better than your typical rear wheel drive car. Certainly increasing the power will overcome the weight penalty, but in road racing or autoX, lightening up the nose will make the car handle better and be more balanced.

I agree it is not for everyone, but for the "hardcore" it may be worth some improvement.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I heard 60/40 myself. the question is knowing how to measure the weight distribution after change - do the have jumbo scales at Wallmart or something? :roll: seriously, ill just know when it feel "right." too fat on the front now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RadarOnPaws said:
No doubt... besides, anyone who's ridden in an STi knows there is no sound deadening material... :D Never been in a car with so much roadnoise at 30mph in my life.

There are very few creature comforts in the STi. The backseat would hurt like hell for anything over a 5 minute ride and the front seats are great for the guy having fun (driver) but will generate complaints by passengers unless they are into the whole STi thing as well. And don't expect spouses to want to take long trips in it.

So why take an already fast, fun, noisy, somewhat spartan car and make it worse as far as the noise and comfort (or lack of it)?

If you were a serious racer, this would be one thing... otherwise wait for Vishnu to figure out what he's doing and get a stage I kit or whatever and get some extra hp.
I deffinently don't want to lose the creature comforts I just want to take off a little extra fat here and there. Looking at a lightweight exhaust too. Would never get rid of the a/c. Right now I can bring the car through a turn rather well accelerating out of it with the rear end creeping out. Just trying to shave a few lbs here and there. I do agree with some other guys more hp is great. but moving less weight from 0-100-0 is a lot easier on the car(wear and tear). Now combine that with hp????
Anyhow I just have to do something while I'm waiting for vishnu to release a piggyback chip.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
it was really only a matter of time before someone decided to strip down an already bare bones car. i imagine in years to come we'll all be seeing STi's that have been completely gutted and fitting with a single racing seat. i personally think the days when you had to sacrifice all the creature comforts for performance are gone. for me the STi is light enough. is it fast enough? for now it is. does it handle as well as i would like? for now it does. i would love to see any pics of STi's who's owners have given them the full on race look. gutted interior, roll cage etc.. i'm not bashing anyone's feel for what their STi should be. to each thier own, forever and ever.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crashsti said:
the STi is already close to being under 3000lbs.. without swapping out the glass of the car and gutting the interior i can't see the value of trying to lose a few pounds. but to each thier own.
The car weighs 3,263 lbs. thats not real close to being under 3000 lbs. I am definently NOT gutting the interior. I want to maintain a functional four door sedan. My thoughts are perrin pulley -3.5lbs from the crank,(already done), remove snorkel from wheel well -1.3lbs(done), replace factory airbox with turboxs short intake -1.0lb(done)=5.8lbs. This does not factor in improvements on crank rotation results from pulley.
Things I want to do: Lightweight front bumper bracket-20lbs. Titanium turbo back exhaust and muffler, -20 lbs. Lighter battery, -15lbs or so. Looked into a carbon fiber hood and scoop but the factory aluminum one is pretty close to same weight. This way when I add other aftermarket parts I hopefully won't go over the curb weight. --Sin52

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about all the powered mirrors, door locks and powered windows... Removing the AC also will free up lost HP. Here is a question, can you fit a pair of racing seats in the back... hmmm, here is a thought, remove the seat belt tensioner in the center of the back seat (like you will ever fit 3 people in the back).

·
Registered
284 Posts
one of the sites listed here actually custom fits Sparcos for the rear. Nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts