IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick coupla questions for the experts around here. I have the sill plates that JJ put on his STi and plan on installing them myself. There is a plastic sill piece that already covers the sill....I don't do anything w/that before installing the covers, right? (like remove it or something?) My Japanese is a little rusty :roll: and it appears there's just an adhesive strip that holds them in place. Is there anything I need to line up or be aware of before starting??? 2nd question: I also have a set of pedal covers (including dead pedal) that came straight from Japan as well. The dead pedal instructions say to use a "self tapping screw" to install the dead pedal. Is there a certain length screw I need to use in order to NOT hit or screw into something important? I would appreciate ANY help!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hmmm.....I didn't like that I appeared as "guest" so thought I'd log back in and beg for any help on my above post. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Good question. I should be getting my STi pedals any day now and will probably have the same question myself. I am supprised they did not come with the appropriate screw.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was hoping they would come with it too MKIV - the rest of the screws are a metric allen key type with a tapered head. I went in to the local Home Depot and tried getting a tap screw with the same tapered head - they don't have any, and I don't want the head of the screw to extend over the cover for obvious reasons. I am going to a specialty "nut & bolt" shop to GET the right ones, just need to figure the length I should use. Anyone else on either query?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MKIV - I actually rec'd them approx. 3 weeks ago - not sure if you got the same ones - mine are brushed (I think) aluminum with a red rubber "mat" on the underside....the gas and dead pedal have the pink STi logo on the bottom. The quality seems top notch. I ordered them thru Rallispec. Sadly though I work 11+hrs/day and commute 30-40mins each way - haven't had much available daylight to get down there with them and have a go. I will by this weekend at the latest and will let you know how it goes. Can't really believe we're the only ones who have/are going to do this though?? I will certainly update the thread once anything else gets figured out. Asked the guy at www.fastlineonline.com while I had him on the phone about the i/c screen (the WRX will fit the STi apparently) and he said there's just an empty space under that pedal....that there was about 2" till you would hit anything else. He said I could SAFELY go with a 1" long tap screw and be safe.....just wanted confirmation on this before I go ahead and pick 'em up.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Sounds like the same ones. I ordered mine about 5 weeks ago and they are coming from Japan so I am thinking any day now. I know what you mean about time. There are a couple things I need to do, like change the bulb colors, try to figure out how to set my eq on my stereo, I should also be getting my scoop screen. Plus with the heat lately, I don't feel like sitting in my car trying to do something. I doubt I will put my pedals in right away either. I would think more people would do them too. They will make heel toe shifting so much easier.

4MLA1FN, if they are like other pedals I have seen/installed, there are backing bars that you screw to the pedal... you would put the pedal over the stock ones, then there are a couple flat bars you put behind the stock pedals and then screw the new pedals to these bars with an allen wrench. That make sense? I will take pics when I get mine and attempt to put them in. It was a huge pain when I put them in my Supra. Not hard to do just getting in there, the angle, and only having 2 hands made it tough.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Can't offer much help except for the dead pedal. The stock one has plastic screws...well I assume it does just like the WRX and you just can pry that off with your bare fingers. Then you reuse the plastic screws to attach the aluminum dead pedal.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
4MLA1FN, if they are like other pedals I have seen/installed, there are backing bars that you screw to the pedal...That make sense?
yep, i get it; it's essentially clamped on over the stock pedals. i've added 'em to my ever growing list of "mods"...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey MKIV - I actually called Rallispec and posed the question to them. They said that a 1/2-3/4" inch self-tapping screw would do the job admirably. I then called and confirmed this with the svc. manager at my dealership - he advised to try a 1/2" first and see if it's adequately secured, if not, then to go to a 3/4". He said there's not much in that space that can be hurt. You may have to do some hunting to find a self tapping tapered head screw though - Home Depot doesn't carry them - I'm going to a specialty nut & bolt shop to hopefully find them. Good luck and post pics when you get your installed!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Let me know how it goes for you too, you will probably have yours done before I even get mine in the mail. Also if you find the screw you are looking for, let me know where you got it and the size you ended up using.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I surely will.....still can't believe they didn't have the foresight to include it - seems a small thing, no? I'll let you know head size and length + whatever else will prove helpful. I wish I could just order them but will have to do it in person to guarantee the correct fit I guess.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know this is an old thread But i just purchased the red sti pedal set and was wondering where to get the red dead pedal to match any help would be great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts