IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter top-mount intercooler protection?

Hi yesterday i notice my coolant tank is empty, so i would like to know where is all the coolant go? and how can i refill it. sorry i am new for this thing. can someone teach me please, because i don't want to go wrong before i do anything. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
If you read the instruction manual, it says to refill the reservoir tank. Same thing happened to me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think regular coolant (the green stuff) should work fine. Fill it with the engine cold and only up to the "FULL" mark.

-d

·
Registered
422 Posts
A new, modern car should not be consuming coolant. Watch it like a hawk. Fill the reservoir half way with anti freeze from the auto parts store and half with water to the full hot mark. May not be the perfect mixture, but it should be close. I say full hot mark so if you have a leak you will not run low. No leak, you may puke a little coolant. A mess, but the tank should still be full. If you have a leak then there is less risk of running low. You can buy a density gauge at the same place and get the mixture spot on.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Coolant mixture really isn't a big deal - as long as you're not overheating.

I would take it in and have a shop do a quick coolant system pressure check.

·
Registered
39 Posts
JDM WRX STi vs. Evo8 vs MR

Actually a coolant mixture of more antifreeze than water will allow the coolant to protect more during extreme temperatures.

The highest ratio recomended is around 70/30 antifreeze to water. This mixture provides more protection for both the very cold and extremely hot conditions. ALSO, very important is to use Distilled Water, instead of tap or drinking water. Distilled water will ensure the correct chemical reaction between the ethylene glycol and H2O.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Make sure to use Japanese coolant. Subaru OEM, Honda, Mitsu, Toyota, etc. . . . The Toyota pink stuff is good for 5 years if you don't want to change it often. The cheap Prestone crap eats away at Japanese alluminum radiators. I usually do 60% water 40% antifreeze. Make sure you use distilled water.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys, i am confuse now. So i just refill the coolant or put the antifreeze mix with distilled water? Ok you guys say the antifreeze is that the one for the windshield?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do not mix green and pink coolants! They are chemically incompatible. Use only the green-type of coolant, half-coolant, half water.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
DOES anyone know if watter wetter by redline is safe to use im in hot weather here

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting anything but water and antifreeze in the coolant reservior....

If you plan to change over to the red type of antifreeze from toyota, do a full flush first....

And no, antifreeze is NOT the stuff that's meant for the windshield washer reservoir.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
i filled up my reservoir twice to the full and it gets back to the SAME spot everytime and just stays there (right at the low mark)... whats up with that?

Robert~

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thank you

Redline's "Water Wetter" is fine if you live where there is no threat of freezing. Ethylene glycol, the green anti freeze, doesn't conduct heat as well a plane H2O. It does raise the boiling point and lowers the freezing point.

Winter windshield washer fluid uses alcohol for anti freeze and has soap in it. Keep it out of your radiator and your intercooler spray tank.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for sale

Ok i will put the green coolant mix with distilled water to the tank. but do i need to put it in the radiators. Thanks for guys. Help me a lot and learn a lot from you guys. i really think you guys are the best.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Friendly advice. The radiator and top tank for the STI has a very stark warning on them. DO NOT OPEN. Fill the overflow tank. On a new car let the dealer break those seals. Burping may be required....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
So in a temperate climate like washington, I could run something like 90% water with probably no problems? I would imagine something like 30/70 would be a safe place to actually run at....

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
in the reservoir tank in front near the first radiator cap....it has a black hose going into it that you could slide in and out...the windshield washer reservoir is mounted on the strut tower(right behind the battery) use the best mixture for colder weather(check the anti-freeze bottle for correct mixture) there also is a ready to use already mixed coolant for sale that takes the guess work out of it. just buy and pour no mixing required.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
so has anyone used teh redline watter wetter yet? 20 deg lower temp right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts