IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everybody's opinion on flushing with distilled water? Bought a WRX filled with the wrong coolant. Bought me some Subaru Super Coolant and I am getting ready to flush but not sure if I should use distilled water a few times through before I fill. I keep seeing mixed thoughts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What is everybody's opinion on flushing with distilled water? Bought a WRX filled with the wrong coolant. Bought me some Subaru Super Coolant and I am getting ready to flush but not sure if I should use distilled water a few times through before I fill. I keep seeing mixed thoughts.
Coolant is lubricative so I would not add water alone to the system. It was not designed to pump that fluid. It might not hurt, but not doing it definitely wont hurt.
Define 'wrong coolant' too please. If the car had "Jap spec" coolant in it I would just drain and replace. The main difference will be the color. I think you made a good choice by choosing to return to OEM though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Coolant is lubricative so I would not add water alone to the system. It was not designed to pump that fluid. It might not hurt, but not doing it definitely wont hurt.
Define 'wrong coolant' too please. If the car had "Jap spec" coolant in it I would just drain and replace. The main difference will be the color. I think you made a good choice by choosing to return to OEM though.
I think they meant just to flush before filling up with the Subaru Super Coolant, not running water permanently? Unless you meant not to run the car at all with only water? Is it pointless then to fill and flush without starting?

@kieferj231 If it’s below freezing where you live then I’d advise against it. Was in a similar situation recently and wanted to do a flush but decided not to due to Chicago weather.

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
Just flush it with the new coolant, no need to use water. Remove old, add new, let it cycle and repeat that about 3-4 times max then just drive the car. Unless the old coolant is going to hurt the engine, you should be fine with the above.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think they meant just to flush before filling up with the Subaru Super Coolant, not running water permanently? Unless you meant not to run the car at all with only water? Is it pointless then to fill and flush without starting?

@kieferj231 If it’s below freezing where you live then I’d advise against it. Was in a similar situation recently and wanted to do a flush but decided not to due to Chicago weather.
I would say not to use the vehicle with water in it. It would probably be just fine to flush it with water, and never start it. The water will dilute and carry away the vast majority of the old coolant.
This is overkill though. I would straight up just empty out, and refill.

OP, make sure you are draining the system though. pull more than one point. Drain the radiator, the hoses, all of it. Read the manual, and see how much coolant the car will hold, and compare to what you drained. If you only drained out 60% of the capacity, you may want to do a water flush, pull a gallery plug, or something else. When I drained my car to do the cyl 4 cooling, i got a coolant shower from the rear gallery after letting the car drain for 30 mins.

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
As careful as I am, I never flush with coolant, only water. Long ago due to cost, these days not to unnecessarily discard significant pollutants.

I'm not promoting it, but as a kid I ran water in cooling systems many times for whole summers with no identifiable issues. Modern cars run hotter and really need coolant - a lot more than lubricant or anti-electrolysis additives.

Heck, we have members who are more than reluctant to spend money on great oil and 3K OCIs. Here were are worried about a few minute run time with water in the cooing system? Believe me no dealer or shop is going through gallons of coolant to flush your cooling system. OK look hard someone will find one that says they do, charges for it, and then probably doesn't . . . :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts