IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what coolant should I use and does it matter? My reserve tank was a little below the low line so I just wanted to top it off. I guess just a 50/50 of X coolant and distilled water? thanks and just let me know. If it doesnt matter also just let me know which you prefer.

also this may sound stupid, but do you just put the amount missing from the reserve tank and pour it into the actual cooling system? or do you just fill the reserve tank? thanks ;) and ya in some ways im still a newb ;) :). I just wanna take good care of my baby.

robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it matter what brand of coolant? My dealership has GMC and Texaco coolant, but I wanted to make sure there wasnt something better out there before I bought it.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool thanks for the help, just didnt wanna screw anything up ;)

Robert~

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just make sure it's green...
cause Red coolant is "Long life coolent" (GM-dex-cool, Toyota LF, VW G12)

T

·
0 Posts
Different coolants have different life spands, so you might want to look carefully at that. Check the owner's manual to make sure you get the right stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't mix green and red coolant together. They are made from totally different stuff, and if you mix them, bad things happen in your radiator. So if you've already got green then add more green stuff.

·
Registered
963 Posts
hughbob said:
Don't mix green and red coolant together. They are made from totally different stuff, and if you mix them, bad things happen in your radiator. So if you've already got green then add more green stuff.
Yes, this is VERY IMPORTANT!... TRES IMPORTANTE!... ¡MUY IMPORTANTÉ!

I discovered this the hard way... well maybe not the hard way but the expensive way.

Wife and I were in Wisconsin in late Winter - we had the VW Passat.
Warning message comes on the computer "STOP! Low Coolant".
We topped off the coolant level with green stuff (G11) - no more warnings.
Then on the way home, I decided to check the manual (great timing, huh?!)
It says ONLY use G12 coolant, the red stuff.
We had to have the radiator flushed at the dealer for about $300.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts