IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know bolt pattern conversion has been a topic of debate, but I need to know my options. I take delivery on by BRZ in less than one month and have a set of 5x114.3 wheels that I would like to put on it. I'm not looking for cost-benefit analysis, just trying to learn what my options are.

I've considered the following:

5x100 to 5x114.3 adapters - I've heard mixed things about using these. I will be putting the car under stress, most likely on an autoX track. What are the best and most reliable brands to go with if I choose this route?

Changing hubs - I understand switching my hub assemblies out for STi hubs most likely will not work due to the lack of axle on the front wheels. Is there a way to make this work that will be safe? If not, what other hubs might I be able to swap on to the BRZ that would have a 5x114.3 pattern?

Redrill - How successful is redrilling a hub, and what risks are involved? What should I look for when searching for a shop to do this?

Any experience/advice that doesn't revolve around "don't do it" is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Spacer adapters are not an acceptable means to change bolt patterns. I personally would not redrill the wheels either. I would sell the wheels and find something that fits.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Jumping the gun a bit. Wait for the car to be in the publics' hands for a minute and I'm sure there will be a conversion available.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Talk to a machine shop and have a set of hubs machined in the pattern you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spacer adapters are not an acceptable means to change bolt patterns. I personally would not redrill the wheels either. I would sell the wheels and find something that fits.
What makes spacer adapters unacceptable? These products exist for that sole purpose, right? I've been trying to find "horror stories" from people that have used them but they're pretty hard to come by. It seems there are a lot of people against this method, but very few that have actually run into problems when using it as long as they're installed correctly. I'm just looking to make an informed decision, that's all.

Aftermarket companies are starting to support a wide range of wheels in 5x100 pattern. I would look around the wheel catalogs first before making such conversion...
Thanks, but I'm looking to stick with STI wheels and not go aftermarket which means 5x114.3. Unfortunately the 17x7.5 5x100 STI wheels that recently were made available for the BRZ are significantly more costly than the wheels that I have + any of these conversion methods.

GReddy is supposed to have a 5x114.3 conversion for the 86 platform sometime after release.
Thanks, I did a little more research on this. I think I can roll on my stockies for a month or two while I wait for GReddy to release this kit. I'm still looking at the alternatives though!

Any other opinions out there?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
What makes spacer adapters unacceptable? These products exist for that sole purpose, right? I've been trying to find "horror stories" from people that have used them but they're pretty hard to come by. It seems there are a lot of people against this method, but very few that have actually run into problems when using it as long as they're installed correctly. I'm just looking to make an informed decision, that's all.
Running +20mm spacers is NEVER a good idea. You're altering how the car drives in doing so, putting more stress on components, and reducing the wheel and tire selection that you can fit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Redrilling the HUBS (not wheels) is an option. Any competent machine shop can do this. This also gives you the option of reinstalling the OEM studs so that you can sell the car with the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
The ability to drill a 5x114 pattern into the BRZ hub is not know yet. There might not be enough "meat" to make it safe. Who knows, maybe some Toyota/Lexus hubs will be able to be used to convert the wheel bolt pattern. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
For the rear, an 08+ STI hub should work since it's the same basic rear suspension. For the front, I'm not sure. I think they used Subaru parts so the knuckle should accept the STI front hub, but that's a guess right now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think the first question should be what size and offset of the wheels you already have? That would tell us if they could even fit the car size wise with spacers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you go the adapters route i've been reading tons of good reviews on spacers from this company.
Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

i cant really comment on them since i havent ordered any yet, but if you can get the wheels to clear the fenders i think it would be fine. (you would have to do some measuring.)

Maybe a suspension engineer could correct me here. but adapters that are hub and wheel centric should be fine for track use, and from my understanding not much different than running a more aggressive offset wheel vs a stock offset wheel.

IMHO there seems to be a lot of FUD about spacers/adapters. Almost backlash against hellaflush.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if you go the adapters route i've been reading tons of good reviews on spacers from this company.
Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

i cant really comment on them since i havent ordered any yet, but if you can get the wheels to clear the fenders i think it would be fine. (you would have to do some measuring.)

Maybe a suspension engineer could correct me here. but adapters that are hub and wheel centric should be fine for track use, and from my understanding not much different than running a more aggressive offset wheel vs a stock offset wheel.

IMHO there seems to be a lot of FUD about spacers/adapters. Almost backlash against hellaflush.
Totally agree here. I guess I'm just not sure why running a spacer/adapter is any different than buying a new wheel with an aggressive offset, especially if the spacers are wheel and hub centric? (Not trying to argue, just trying to understand exactly why this would be a problem)

I have also heard great things about Motorsport-tech. They have many different options and have the wheel and hub centric adapters for various applications. They are American made and have a million dollar insurance policy on their products. I would recommend emailing them (talk to Lenny). I've been in contact with him on some questions I had and he has been extremely helpful. I believe they can even create custom ones for you if necessary (although they definitely have 5x100 -> 5x114 adapters as that's exactly what I've been talking to him about).

·
Registered
274 Posts
You probably don't want to track any car with spacers on it. Not even for light track, like autoX. Not worth the possibility of damage that could be done. I would recommend different street/track setups. If its not affordable at the moment, I suggest running the stock wheel with a track tire. There's a video somewhere on this forum that shows a stock BRZ/FRS running an autoX time within a second of a modded Gymkhana 350z. It's amazing what a good set of tires will do even on stock wheels.

I'm all for flush. I have a set of Perrin spacers on my '11 STI sedan as its my DD, but I remove them come track time. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are plenty of good looking quality wheels with the correct fitment for the BRZ. Please buy some because the BRZ has the ugliest wheels available on a production sports car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts