IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else pull the trigger on these for this winter? Currys Auto ordered mine this afternoon. I'll be curious to see how they'll handle in comparison to the stockers we STi's come equipped with.

Kurt

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i'm inclined to get those myself. it's either the contis or the pirellis. whatever the case, i know i need 'em soon. i got the tail *way* out today in the damp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics of my audio install

Awesome tire so far! Not the least bit squirmy and a lot quieter than the stockers. I'll post about my dry experience once they've had a little bit of break-in time.

Kurt

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've got about 250 miles on Conti Extremes. I'm having a difficult time rating these tires since the STi is my first performance car and I only have 1400 miles total on it. I can say that there's less noise with these than with the stockers, and that the ride is smoother. I think that I've detected some flat spotting as the first few miles in the morning are a bit bumpy....this may be a characteristice of performance tires, though??
Wet traction *appears* to be fine. The 2nd day the tires were on the car we had rain. I was told by the tire installer to let the tire bead seal for 24 hours before going hard on the gas. So, I was not able to see how good the wet traction was under hard throttle through a turn since the tires were put on the night before and I could not flog the car. Dry traction is still up in the air...I find the tires easier to break loose than the RE070's but that is to be expected. Ah hell, I'm just rambling. Maybe it;s too soon to rate these tires so if you have specific questions or suggested things to do to see how the tires are, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well, I have about 800 miles on the Conti's now. Wet traction, from an acceleration standpoint, is unbelievable. The tires just seem to grip more than I would have imagined. I drove through standing and running water (cascading across the street) and did not pick up any tendancy to hydroplane. I also took a sweeping turn at a speed a little too fast for conditions but the tires held the line. I'm very pleased. There is a little flatspotting on very cold mornings but the tires are fine once warmed up. I seem to think this is a performance tire characteristic anyway. Dry performance seems to be better than when the tires were new. I can make the rear end dance easier than the stockers but they do grab after the initial slip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much are this tires?

Is there any group buy out there for tires....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
From Tirerack.com:

4P225/45WR-17 Continental ContiExtremeContactIn Stock$108.00
1Conti/gen tire regist card rtlIn StockN/C
1Tire warranty packetIn StockN/C
Order Total Including Shipping: $463.18

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
FINAL update (from me, anyway): Been driving around in sleet covered packed snow broken up ocassionally by slush. With the DCCD in full lock, I've been very pleased with the tires. The Conti's do extremely well considering they're in the ultra high performance range.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I put on ContiExtremes just a couple of days before it started snowing. They do have awesome wet grip and a lot less tire noise than the Potenzas, but have a softer sidewall. We just had 3-4 inches of snow this week, and they drive very good on packed powder... Lock the DCCD and that's it .. Pretty satisfied with them...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Mine come in tomorrow :) I was going to head up to NTB(Potomac Yards) to get them mounted. I wonder if they'll mount the weights on the inside if I ask nicely :)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i was doin 65 on the highway on 95 south with these after "the big snow". it was only 3-4 inches on the ground with no problems. in some of the grooves the tail edges out a bit in auto setting, but if you keep it in lock you are pretty money. nothing but compliments for these tires

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I got mine installed just before I left for a trip to Canada (not driving though ;) So far, I've been very impressed. The ride is alot quieter and it seems to hold pretty well through the little bit I've put them through. I'm driving up to the local ski resort this weekend (Wisp), so I'll be able to say more then. The sidewalls are ALOT softer, as expected.

·
Registered
442 Posts
RE: Modifications??

i know this thread is way old, but info is info. will be getting a set in the next few weeks. i have them on the mule, best all seasons i've had on it yet. they do well in the snow for a 2WD, and ive had it places most 4x4's will never go. should be a great tire on the sti

1 - 14 of 14 Posts