IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my STi a couple weeks ago and past 1,000 miles this morning :).

I'm putting together a stereo with a Pioneer 5500 head unit with a set of front speakers and a set in the rear deck.

I found two pairs of infinity 5002i's on sale (5.25" x 2 7/16") for really cheap, but I'm not sure if these will work on the front doors or on the rear deck.

Does anyone know?

I've read from the other threads that they won't work in the rear doors, but I'm putting them in the rear deck. All the stuff that I see says that you should go with shallow 6.5"s in the front doors, but the installer said he'd just put int 5.25"s into his STi.

I'm a bit lost. Any help would be much appreciated. I've tried to read everything I could, but the conflicting reports are confusing and no one has the speakers I've got so I just want to be sure.

Lastly, I'm looking at any advice on a suitable amp for this set, preferably something under $200.

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

M

·
0 Posts
I mounted 6.5's in my front and 5.25's Infinity Kappas in my rear deck, the basket design of the Infinity speakers is pretty obnoxious, making them more difficult than most other's to install. If I were to do it all over from scratch, I think I would go with Polk or some other brand, although, the sound quality of the Infinity's is quite good, just the install was annoying.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jojodfboy,
I just installed a pair of Infinity Reference 5002i's into my rear doors this past weekend. Yep, it was a pain. I had to cut & snip ~1/4" larger around the existing metal door holes. I totally Dremel'ed the plastic door panels flat (to fit the tweeter coaxials). Then I drilled four holes into the door and used the included screws and clips. The tweeter is butted up against the door panel, but it snaps closed. No headunit yet; haven't checked the sound.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terra,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to return the 5002i's and get some shallower depth Infiniti's 6.5's in the front at 2 1/4 and 5.25 Kappa's in the rear deck.

I know that's different from your config, but from what I can tell, the 5002i's are pretty thick, which can be a problem.

Thanks again!

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts