IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that the taillight was one piece. My passenger side has condensation/water in it after driving about one hour straight in a bad rainstorm. Now I see here where folks are able to take them apart for tinting. I'm still taking the car back to the dealer. Just wondering if anyone else here has had that problem on stock tails or tails you've taken apart for tinting?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The taillight is one piece and you just need to take it back to the dealer for warranty replacement.

·
Registered
625 Posts
your blinker fluid may be a bit low now....

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Yeah make sure you have them check the canuter valve under the blinker fluid reservoir too. It's right next to the where the johnson rod is bent right before the occilation overthruster attachment point. And have them check the pyrex thermal coating on the reverse throttle nozzle for flaking and discoloration (common problem in the south due to the heat).

:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks!

To the helpful responses, thanks! To the others, please send me a pic of your 10 second, 128 mph timeslip and trophy in your DOT tire class win (3400 lb sled of a 93 blown Mustang, hand-built and tuned) and I'll consider your help. Oh, you mean you spent all that money on STI mods for a dyno slip and bragging rights against a Honda?

j/k :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
white2006sti said:
To the helpful responses, thanks! To the others, please send me a pic of your 10 second, 128 mph timeslip and trophy in your DOT tire class win (3400 lb sled of a 93 blown Mustang, hand-built and tuned) and I'll consider your help. Oh, you mean you spent all that money on STI mods for a dyno slip and bragging rights against a Honda?

j/k :lol:
Hey thems fightin words....(pulls out six shooter)

Serously though I would go and get it looked at by the stealership. Should be covered.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turbineguy said:
Hey thems fightin words....(pulls out six shooter)

Serously though I would go and get it looked at by the stealership. Should be covered.
I freely admit to being a total STI newbie :p I retired from the pushrod world so I could get away from mods LOL! My signature line turned out to be a 4 page Word document when I sold the car. I lost a TON of money - people only wanted rolling chassis cars - no motor or trans because they had their own setups to install.

I'm still getting used to the fact I can barely see my injectors and CAN'T even find my spark plugs :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flippin' weird...

nandanrp said:
People bake the HEADLIGHTS to remove the orange reflectors.

Try the same on the taillights, and they melt. Search for pics.
Saw the pics, just couldn't figure out the purpose. I've never been into external mods before - everything was cams, pistons, blowers, hi-stall full automatics with transbrakes; all drag racing stuff. Plus on a car 16 years old, you could find replacement stuff in junkyards real easy :D

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
white2006sti said:
I freely admit to being a total STI newbie :p I retired from the pushrod world so I could get away from mods LOL! My signature line turned out to be a 4 page Word document when I sold the car. I lost a TON of money - people only wanted rolling chassis cars - no motor or trans because they had their own setups to install.

I'm still getting used to the fact I can barely see my injectors and CAN'T even find my spark plugs :lol:
Werd. I came from 4 Camaros and thought the mod bug was cured. Damn this forum and all the peer pressure! I did find the plugs though but they point about 45 deg in the wrong direction and there's 4 missing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turbineguy said:
Werd. I came from 4 Camaros and thought the mod bug was cured. Damn this forum and all the peer pressure! I did find the plugs though but they point about 45 deg in the wrong direction and there's 4 missing.:rolleyes:
I NEVER want to go back. I remember putting in the final motor in cold November in a drizzling rain. Got the flu and was still working on the car for another 2 weeks. Then had the oil pump shaft upside down, which siezed the oil pump and since the shaft is driven by the distributor (in Fords, anyways), I snapped off the shaft end in my nice billet MSD dist. That motor wasn't coming out. Put it up on a lift, removed the engine and trans mounts and jacked up the motor enough to drop the oil pan and replace it from underneath.

I just read an old 2004 Hot Rod article where the STI and a 2004 Cobra came out 50/50 in the vote. The Mustang was capable of 11's with slicks but with radials it had a measley 2.67 60' compared to the STI's 1.80. Both ran in the low 13's.

I'd trade anything for a '69 SS Camaro :tup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nandanrp said:
The funny part is, I'll go to a meet and have the most modded car there :eek: :confused:

I feel like every other person here has stage two and defis!
I've only seen 1 blue 04/05 STI around here, a woman in an 06 exactly like mine, a handful of WRX's with attitudes and a guy in an Evo that waved back.

I'm the least likely to mod because of this weird, dealer supplied 10 year/250,000 mile shortblock warranty. I'd love to go stage 2 but even with a Maddad D/P using the stock looking 2nd cat, I'm sure they figure it out and cancel me. Gotta unmarry the AP 1 for oil changes and scheduled service trips as it is.

Anyway, to keep OT, I'm taking the car in this Wednesday for the taillight.

Funny story to close with - back in 1966, Shelby made around 900 Mustangs available to Hertz rent-a-car. This was a big publicity stunt. Turns out, people rented them for a weekend, welded in a roll cage and went road racing with them. Ripped the cages out and returned them on Monday. Point is, didn't SOJ/SOA figure we were going to mod these to begin with? They should have tailored warranty packages so you could do some basic mods without fearing you'd be stuck paying for bad struts, etc.

:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts