IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXACTLY RIGHT

Hi all:
In spite of the recent car theft of an STi in Scarborough, ON (as described on the STi general forum) are any of you current and future STi owners concerned? I was planning to purchase in the coming spring but I am and have always been wary of the STi's attention grabbing potential and hence theft.

I live in Edmonton, AB and would be using the STi as a daily driver and frankly I don't think I would be comfortable driving this car anywhere and everywhere. To me I find that the STi is at greater risk of theft or vandalism than high end makes like BMW, MB, Infiniti, etc (because these cars have become very common day). Because of this I may likely get one of these makes although I have lusted after the STi for several years.

If I end up getting one I will most likely remove all STi stickers and badges (excluding the front grille badge) and will swap out the trunk with a stock WRX one w/o spoiler. However, one could argue that if I am going to do this, why even bother getting an STi? What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

RASpecC

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum... First off I figure I can speak for all of us when I say: "Of course concerns with theft are real, not to mention validated." There is a poll found on the exterior forum ( you'll have to go back a ways) just do a search for de-badge and you'll find it.

Scuba steve has done a trunk swap on his silver/silver... which is also on the exterior forum... There is aot of feed back on both of these threads which should help you with your final choice of Motor Vehicle.

T

·
0 Posts
Although theft t is always a concern, I for one don't really think about it that much. No matter what car you have you are liable to have it stolen regardless. I think it's more about being at the wrong place at the wrong time then being what brand of car you drive. The one thing you can do is park wisely. Don't park in dark alleys when you know that part of town is a high crime area. For example the poor fellow who lost his in Scarborough, well Scarborough has a very high crime rate including the most murders in the country. I doubt it would matter that it's a STi, a BMW or anything else that has value. I for one have been everywhere including Toronto, Montreal and various large cities in the States such as Denver, Chicago, Vegas etc... and never had a problem. However if someone on a certain night is looking for a STi to steal and yours happens to be in the area, then I'm afraid you're SOL. Not much you can do about it. If it worries you that much then the only thing you could is buy a used 1991 Corolla, but then again you'd be a target for a teen looking for a easy steal to go for a joy ride.

You just can't win :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was quite concerned about theft with this vehicle but it's lessening the longer I have it. I garage mine every night when I am home. On the road I just try to park it in a well lighted spot. As the other guys mention it's best to stay out of the high crime areas. I'm probably going to still invest in a Compustar alarm system or something similiar.

Door dings are my biggest peeve these days. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
including the most murders in the country.

is that overall #'s or per capita? (sp my latin sucks) Winnipeg has claimed the same title this year... HMMM... sounds like everyone wants to be known as the "BAD A#$ " town. <TANGENT>

T

·
0 Posts
I have no idea Goose, I'm just repeating from memory what I think I read in the Toronto Star. But if you guys want it that bad, heck it's all yours! hahaha

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
ok u guys are great at....

I live in a rural area, so I'm not too worried about theft. I'm more worried about vandalism. Someone thought it would be cool to throw a rock at my WRX wagon from a car coming from the other direction. The result was a small crater in the front of the hood. Could have been worse: could have taken out the windshield or hit me through the open window.

I did spring for the locking lug nuts, though. These BBSs are too expensive and too easy to remove.

If I was really concerned about theft, I'd consider something like Lojack. I also like the idea of a hidden ignition disabling switch...sounds simple, inexpensive, and effective.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have no idea Goose, I'm just repeating from memory what I think I read in the Toronto Star. But if you guys want it that bad, heck it's all yours! hahaha
Naaa, you can have it!!! :) I'd much rather live in a city with a "CLEANEST" or "friendliest" rep... I always thought the suburbs of TO were supposed to be really quiet...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: canadian STi insurance

...the threat is greater than with other "high end" makes. Recent stats
show the WRX as one of the top 3 targets for theives. Why ? Because
they can part it out easily -everyone wants the engine & tranny- and they
have no alarm in them. Yes, our STi's have an immobilizing alarm system
...but I wouldn't count on every thief to know that.

An STi could be parted even easier. MAKE SURE you have a full value
waiver on your insurance policy...that way if someone rips it in the first 2
years you get paid your FULL purchase price, with no depreciation.

-Sporty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One word, Boomerang! This system gives you piece of mind. If you car moves and you are not in it the car sends a signal to a monitoring station and they follow it with GPS notifying the police as well as sending out thier own recovery people. They phone you and inform you about what is happening step by step.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's been mentioned a 1000 times already, if people want to steal, they will. A black STi was stolen from the corporate owner dealership in Mississauga. The whole thing was captured on video. It's only a matter of time before they get caught. On a side note, the longer I own this car, the more peaves I find. Along the lines of theft, take a look at how the windows on this car mate up to the car window trim. The access for fishing something through there to unlock the doors is sickening. You could put a hockey stick through there. My previous ride, 300ZX Twin Turbo had a much better system. It too had no frame around the windows. Just my opinion.

One for the road. Why is when you go to the mall, you park way away from anyone else. Some a$$hole just has to park beside you? Why? ah the joys of owning a car that is worth some loot.

mk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts