IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I don't have the pictures with me at the moment, but its locations are where the bolts are connecting the subframe and the chassis. There are 4 bolts on each subframe.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Look at post #12 to get an idea of where/how they mount or do a Google search. Basically they go btwn the front subframe (bolt hole) and the chassis and around the bolt on the outer hole of subframe. The collars remove the mfg tolerances and align the subframe/chassis and minimize any movement.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So could these rigid collars be used in conjunction with SuperPro subframe bushings? Is there any things that maybe can't be used with these rigid collars (braces, other bushings)?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just finished installing strut tower brace, which concludes this S206 Suspension project... had to move the Crawford AOS. Lot of trial and error, but I finally was able to fabricate a metal bracket to move it about 2 inches forward. PITA.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Just finished installing strut tower brace, which concludes this S206 Suspension project... had to move the Crawford AOS. Lot of trial and error, but I finally was able to fabricate a metal bracket to move it about 2 inches forward. PITA.
Oh waw, you managed to move the AOS forward. Awesome~!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Bushings and rigid collar don't do the same thing.

Rigid collar fills up the void of the subframe hole where the bolt is inserted into as the hole is larger than the bolt. Likewise the rigid collar fills up the bolt hole on the chassis. This way the chassis will always stays at its center point and will not shift around.

The sti rear subframe is designed to flex through the bushing, and that is why superpro and whiteline subframe bushing inserts are designed to limit the flex movement for better traction and response.

MSI solid bushing will completely stop the rear subframe to flex but if the hole for the bolt is still larger than the bolt then one day the subframe will still shift.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's been a while since I posted in this thread, but does anyone have the kit installed and lives in a snowy environment?

I ask because the Flexible lower Stiffener Rods looks fairly thin I am worried the rust will eat through it very fast, and may get damaged from chunks of snow/ice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2016 STi and I've been looking for S207 parts. I've only found the front draw stiffener, flexible upper bar, and rear flexible brace so far.. :(

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Bringing this back from the dead.

Since I have to remove my steering rack for reseal and repair, I took this as the opportunity to replace other nuts and bolts especially the swaybar bolts and the subframe bolts as I had them removed to install the Rigid Collars years ago - which I am told I actually had to replace the subframe bolt as it is a one time use only.

Well that looks crap...

Time for the specific rear subframe bolt for the S206:

Not only it is longer, but you can see the un-threaded section of the bolt is also thicker while the standard bolt's thickest section is at the bottom part only.

Parts required x 2

On the S206 it is fitted on the flexible arm support (or whatever it is called):

But I went ahead and decided to replace all four of the rear subframe bolt with the S206 item:

The result is even more rigid rear frame, more pleasant rear suspension control, but is also worsen NVH (this i think is because the use of 4 bolts instead of 2 on the specific area Subaru intended) in the boot area; exhaust hum and some panel rattles (now I do have empty boot and some stuff in there, and no spare tires).

So if you have to replace your rear subframe bolts; then consider these as upgrades which goes really well with rigid collar and rear subfame bushing insert modifications.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
5 years later and my car is still with the same chassis/suspension parts. Still a joy to drive thanks to the level of improved compliance and precision above the standard setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
for digging up this old post, but I am really interested in this setup. I bought myself a 2011 sti with a stock suspension setup, so I have ‘carte blance’ on this.
Is there a particular order in which these parts need to be installed? When I install the spoon collars and S206 subframe bolts, will they have to come off again for other parts?

121 - 140 of 168 Posts