IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well I'm only really happy with the S206 parts right now. Very comfortable.

I even find myself cruising with the STI! Something I'm not into before.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My basis of comparison comes from driving my car one day, and then taking my gf's WRX on the same roads the next day on my drive to/from work. There are some good on/offramps, and over the past few months I've definitely come to feel the difference in a stiff suspension vs. stock. Her car, while it is soft and rolls a good bit, is actually more predictable in these situations, with the difference being the LIMIT at which I can take the car. My STi hardly leans in these corners and I can take them faster, but I feel like it's less communicative than the softly sprung WRX.

We are conditioned to think body roll = crap handling, when in fact there is a reason for some suspension compliance from Subaru. The S206 video (and the S206 parts reviewed in this thread) demonstrates this perfectly.

(note: I'm not a racer or AutoX'er, just a DD'er. I go based on feel within my limits on public roads, so what feels right for me probably doesn't mean crap to someone taking the cars to higher limits)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
My basis of comparison comes from driving my car one day, and then taking my gf's WRX on the same roads the next day on my drive to/from work. There are some good on/offramps, and over the past few months I've definitely come to feel the difference in a stiff suspension vs. stock. Her car, while it is soft and rolls a good bit, is actually more predictable in these situations, with the difference being the LIMIT at which I can take the car. My STi hardly leans in these corners and I can take them faster, but I feel like it's less communicative than the softly sprung WRX.

We are conditioned to think body roll = crap handling, when in fact there is a reason for some suspension compliance from Subaru. The S206 video (and the S206 parts reviewed in this thread) demonstrates this perfectly.

(note: I'm not a racer or AutoX'er, just a DD'er. I go based on feel within my limits on public roads, so what feels right for me probably doesn't mean crap to someone taking the cars to higher limits)
I know exactly what you mean.

To me regardless of how the suspension is setup, the most important part is the driver is comfortable in driving the car. I cannot remember where I saw the video, but a Le Mans 24 hour racer said his Le Mans race car is actually very comfortable to drive and that is the reason why he and his team members can continuously drive the car for 24 hours.

And the S206 WRX STI were the result of STI's experience in 24 hour Nurburgring race. It all made sense to me.

Actually, here's a good read: Pobst Position: Suspension, Hard or Soft?: RandyPobst.com

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted, but interesting info, Hot Version (Best Motoring) "Touge" sector time.

S206 sector time, driven by Nobuteru "No One Better" Taniguchi: 27.228 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWqOH-A72o

2015 STI sector time, modified extensively by CUSO (starting @ 9:00), driven by Keichi "Drift King" Tsuchiya: 27.633 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU558iTKvk

0.405 seconds on a section that short is an ass whooping :eek::lol:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I can't wait to see S207 WRX STI.

Actually Hot Version also did a Touge test of WRX STI Ts Type RA. Hopefully GT Channel post the video on youtube soon.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Not sure if this has been posted, but interesting info, Hot Version (Best Motoring) "Touge" sector time.

S206 sector time, driven by Nobuteru "No One Better" Taniguchi: 27.228 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWqOH-A72o

2015 STI sector time, modified extensively by CUSO (starting @ 9:00), driven by Keichi "Drift King" Tsuchiya: 27.633 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU558iTKvk

0.405 seconds on a section that short is an ass whooping :eek::lol:
Oh yeah huh. I saw the 2015 WRX STI video but I never paid much attention to the lap time. And it even uses the Bridgestone RE11A tires on 18' wheels, while the S206 uses Michellin Pilot Super Sport on 19' wheels.

Well, the Cusco car is probably weighted down so much by the full collection of chassis bars~! :D

Looks very stable though!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Not WRX STI, but same suspension tuning philosophy applied to BRZ.

Maybe I should sell my Golf Mk6 and get me a BRZ with the Ts parts added.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Update: further refining the S206 setup through endlnk adjustment.

After having enough driving with the S206 and standard swaybars it is time to re-adjust the rear stabilizer bar endlink as it was left as is when it was mated with the superpro rear swaybar. So there is definitely something left to extract every bit of S206 parts goodness can offer.

The front endlink looks fine and the front suspension felt fine so I leave that alone. Besides the front endlink can only be adjusted per 1 revolution of turn which is never going to be accurate anyway. The issue I am having was always the rear endlink so time to get cracking.

Anyhow, for those who doesn't know below is the video of stabilizer bar free from pre-load through adjusting the length of the endlink.

When I am able to turn the endlink turnbuckle without any resistance - that swaybar is free from pre-load. Again as I expected the Whiteline rear adjustable endlink can be use for standard rear swaybar.

So after I made that video I sat on the driver seat and a friend went under the car (car is on flat ground and fully settled) to free the swaybar pre-load again. I got my fuel tank half full and probably 3/4 full water methanol tank. Once that's done I crawled under the car and tighten the endlink and making sure the balljoint is facing dead center.

The reason for half full fuel tank is so the swaybar is free from pre-load at the average between full and empty tank. This way the changes won't be too much between full and empty tank.

And what do I gained by this? More improvement in slow speed driving. It is fabulous.

Now it feels so much more supple, relaxed and refined at slow speed driving. Just what's required for daily driving. The car glides through the uneven pavement with finesse much like a European car would. Not to mentioned I am using AD08R tires too (not a tire designed for comfort of course).

From the start I already mentioned how the S206 chassis parts improved the ride, but now I am convinced everything is fully optimized because now I am very happy with its performance at both low speed and high speed. Hell I am sure it will be even better again at high speed now.

The car is fun, safe, and comfortable to drive in any situation. Sometimes when we 'upgrade' the suspension, something have to give. Like changing the spring for example. Sure it can corner sharper and better, but a bit of ride comfort is sacrificed. A fair trade off.

I don't feel any of that in using the S206 parts.

So I guess this is a wrap up because there is nothing else I could do to further optimized the S206 parts benefit for my stock standard shocks and spring. I know this endlink adjustment is not directly related to the S206 parts, but with the adjustment made the real potential of the S206 parts shines brightly.

But it is not the end of my suspension upgrades as the Bilstein PSS10 is coming together with Cusco camber plates this October!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It doesn't seem like it's been made clear, but will the S206 suspension parts fit a 2013 STI hatchback? Even if some of them work that would be great. I do appreciate all of the research being shared here. Otherwise I wouldn't have even heard about these parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh I see I knew the shocks where different how would these differences effect the fitment of these parts? I quite fancy this kit for my car

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
You can have this kit installed on 08-10' WRX STI. The front FDS can be adjusted to suit the pre-facelift chassis.

Or go for the 08-10 STI Performance Package chassis kit.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Chiming in here to offer up impressions after installing all but the flexible strut tower bar (Crawford AOS in the way). I also removed Cusco "H-brace" in the front, and Cusco lateral links in the rear in order to install the complete under-car S206 catalog:

- Rear lateral links
- Rear toe bars
- Rear flexible chassis brace
- Rear draw stiffener
- Front draw stiffener
- Front subframe support kit

I thought for sure that giving up the Cusco bits would result in less precise feel in the front, and a messed up rear camber profile (STi lateral links = no camber adjust). After the dust settled and car was aligned, it was a totally different feeling character, in particular with how it handles turn in feel and the tactile feel in the corner after the car has settled in. My biggest complaint with my STi's handling has been the weight transfer during cornering, how there would be a stark, semi-unpredictable shift in a rather quick, binary "not shifted......shifted!!!" manner. That tendency has been almost eliminated, or better yet, smoothed out to a much more controllable manner that is just awesome. That hard boundary when the weight shift occurs is now a mellow, easy affair.

Overall, the car just feels beautiful. Much more relaxed and not as high strung. I think a lot of it may also be attributed to down sizing my sway bars to closer than stock diameters, along with removing the stiff Cusco parts. The suspension is now able to "breath" better and provide for a more supple ride.

I want to get some more seat time with the new setup in order to see if this isn't just a case of "I spent money on something, so it has to be better". I have some adjustable endlinks on the way as well, as my Kartboys are in ratty condition (and I definitely have some pre-load issues).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Awesome!

Driving with the S206 parts made it not having to guess what will the car do with the amount of steering input applied during cornering.

And it will be even better again once you dialled in the adjustable endlink to free the swaybar from pre-load.

Enjoy!

101 - 120 of 168 Posts