IW STi Forum banner
261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
Be careful with the rear adjustable endlink as it looks like you set it too high. Try set it up at the shortest possible (plus you have lowered the car slightly now).
I know, but thanks for the heads up! I put them on OEM length for the moment. I need to align and then put the car on a bridge to adjust correctly. The front is also at OEM spec for the moment.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
So. Update on the final setup.

First of all a picture of the underneath of the car, so you can see how the draw stiffeners are setup:

I came in contact with a professional aligner. He only weighs and alignes racing cars and (serious) sports cars. Judging his workshop I knew I was at the right place:

The guy put in a lot of work setting up the car correctly. Final adjustments on alignment and stabilizer endlinks were done with me in the car. It really made a difference, never guessed it would be so much.

Result:

More results: wow. This setup is freakin epic.

Last Sunday I was driving to a friend of mine, and a guy in a very fast BMW 1-series was starting to speed up alongside me on the highway. I think he was slightly faster in the straight, that thing was FAST.

There was this very long corner we went into, going probably 160-170 km/h or so. Funny thing was I saw him struggle with the car. The tail wiggling and having a fight. I was so comfortable, I even sped up and closed the gap instantly. So much grip, it’s unbelievable how much better it got.

Also roundabouts are a lot of fun, you can throw the car into te corner and it just goes where you point it to. When somebody sits next to me they all think I go way to fast to make the corner. No tire squealing or nothing. Grip grip grip. And in uneven surfaces it is as comfortable as a golf 1.9 TDI. Briljant.

Current tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which will be updated with 4S when these are worn. Should again be another gain in grip.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
So. Update on the final setup.

First of all a picture of the underneath of the car, so you can see how the draw stiffeners are setup:

I came in contact with a professional aligner. He only weighs and alignes racing cars and (serious) sports cars. Judging his workshop I knew I was at the right place:

The guy put in a lot of work setting up the car correctly. Final adjustments on alignment and stabilizer endlinks were done with me in the car. It really made a difference, never guessed it would be so much.

Result:

More results: wow. This setup is freakin epic.

Last Sunday I was driving to a friend of mine, and a guy in a very fast BMW 1-series was starting to speed up alongside me on the highway. I think he was slightly faster in the straight, that thing was FAST.

There was this very long corner we went into, going probably 160-170 km/h or so. Funny thing was I saw him struggle with the car. The tail wiggling and having a fight. I was so comfortable, I even sped up and closed the gap instantly. So much grip, it’s unbelievable how much better it got.

Also roundabouts are a lot of fun, you can throw the car into te corner and it just goes where you point it to. When somebody sits next to me they all think I go way to fast to make the corner. No tire squealing or nothing. Grip grip grip. And in uneven surfaces it is as comfortable as a golf 1.9 TDI. Briljant.
Hey sounds great! i’ve been waiting for such a long time to see the results and by the sounds of it you really enjoy the setup. :D

I’m glad you got the setup nailed down nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"The guy put in a lot of work setting up the car correctly. Final adjustments on alignment and stabilizer endlinks were done with me in the car. It really made a difference, never guessed it would be so much."

Was it before or after you had lunch? :)

Setup sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Pretty good huh? ;)

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
Hey sounds great! i’ve been waiting for such a long time to see the results and by the sounds of it you really enjoy the setup. :D

I’m glad you got the setup nailed down nicely.

It took some time, since I wanted to protect the new shocks with 2K varnish. I heard several stories about the yellow paint being damaged easily.

Then there was a real struggle. Getting new locking nuts. I ordered everything with Subaru, I wanted it to be OEM. The manual clearly states the nuts you need to replace when they are off the car, but that doesn’t happen in real life I found. They just reuse the old ones at the dealer. In the beginning they were surprised I wanted everything new, but the helped me a lot. You must understand that Subaru is a small brand in the Netherlands, so nothing is in stock. Man, it took months! But I am happy I was patient.

Pretty good huh? ;)
It is amazing how much of a difference it is. I need to drive a stock STi now to compare really, but I am still amazed about the absorption of bumps and the amount of control in the corners. STi was right: it makes you a better driver. The confidence in the car is higher than ever, I would recommend it to anyone willing to pay for it.

My wish for alignment was also a ‘grand tourer’ one, not time attack. It just works like a charm.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
"The guy put in a lot of work setting up the car correctly. Final adjustments on alignment and stabilizer endlinks were done with me in the car. It really made a difference, never guessed it would be so much."

Was it before or after you had lunch? :)

Setup sounds fantastic!
Good question, now I have to keep my current weight forever.:unsure::p He actually recommended to come with half a tank of fuel, for the smallest discrepancy when driving with min/max fuel.

the guy sets up racing cars at tracks too, I learned a lot that day. Amazing how much you can gain with this. No wonder F1 teams use so much time setting up their cars.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
It took some time, since I wanted to protect the new shocks with 2K varnish. I heard several stories about the yellow paint being damaged easily.

Then there was a real struggle. Getting new locking nuts. I ordered everything with Subaru, I wanted it to be OEM. The manual clearly states the nuts you need to replace when they are off the car, but that doesn’t happen in real life I found. They just reuse the old ones at the dealer. In the beginning they were surprised I wanted everything new, but the helped me a lot. You must understand that Subaru is a small brand in the Netherlands, so nothing is in stock. Man, it took months! But I am happy I was patient.

It is amazing how much of a difference it is. I need to drive a stock STi now to compare really, but I am still amazed about the absorption of bumps and the amount of control in the corners. STi was right: it makes you a better driver. The confidence in the car is higher than ever, I would recommend it to anyone willing to pay for it.

iMy wish for alignment was also a ‘grand tourer’ one, not time attack. It just works like a charm.
tWhat matter is you have it done and it is a special setup. The STI way is very nice and it is all about the control; both car and driver. Hell I think every car should be tuned with the same philosophy.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
I agree. The balance, the control, the predictability, the grip. STi really did a great job. This should be standard, I love this car now. Such a great thing to drive.

Thanks again for all the info! It was a great help in this project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great thread with lots of info, thanks dlheman!

I'm very tempted to install the Spoon/Prova front rigid collars sometime in future, maybe when my wheel alignment is due.

I also saw this video on JDM masters where they explained it pretty well and installed it on an R34 GTR:

I managed to find an STI Flexible Lower Arm Bar ST20512ZR010 in used condition, so will be looking forward to installing that on my 2009 STI GRF

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Great thread with lots of info, thanks dlheman!

I'm very tempted to install the Spoon/Prova front rigid collars sometime in future, maybe when my wheel alignment is due.

I also saw this video on JDM masters where they explained it pretty well and installed it on an R34 GTR:

I managed to find an STI Flexible Lower Arm Bar ST20512ZR010 in used condition, which came standard on the R205, so will be looking forward to installing that on my 2009 STI GRF
Yes, the spoon rigid collars are excellent. Don't let subframe shifts ruins the the wheel alignment.

I know there are other makes, but I only exclusively use spoon rigid collar nowadays.

Spoon Rigid collars and adjustable endlinks (preferably Powergrid if available) are what I always recommend on any kind of car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dlheman it might have been a while ago for you hahha but do you remember how the rigid collars fit up? Do they split in half like the R34 GTR collars or do you have to remove the bolt completely to insert the collars?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
dlheman it might have been a while ago for you hahha but do you remember how the rigid collars fit up? Do they split in half like the R34 GTR collars or do you have to remove the bolt completely to insert the collars?
Not all of the collars are split in half, but I can't remember how many of them are split and how many are a single piece.

I suggest prepare new subframe bolt (u may decide to use the S206 rear subframe bolt also), as if my memory serves me well they are to be replaced when removed. Then support the subframe via subframe jack when installing the Rigid Collars, one bolt at a time.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
I suggest prepare new subframe bolt (u may decide to use the S206 rear subframe bolt also), as if my memory serves me well they are to be replaced when removed.
This is correct, the Subaru garage manual states subframe bolts need to be replaced for new ones when taken out. 145NM torque.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
So is there a change in tire pressure for your car, JorisR?
actually no, I am running the recommend pressures of 2.3 bar in front and 1.9 bar in the back. The car is balanced and very well predictable. This is the correct setup I think.

I bought some OE forged BBS wheels in Japan, which are coming my way as we speak. I need to powdercoat them, but the unsprung weight should be lower. I wonder if that will make any difference to the ride.

Went for 18” by the way, for comfort and pricing. I adore the 19” S206 ones, but I can’t justify 5000 euros for wheels alone.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts