IW STi Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still haven't figured out a part number, will be submitting some pix o. NASIOC since member there might know what the pins are and how to get them.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Im getting more interested in the power folding mirrors, but I have two questions.

1. When doing the swap and using the USDM bases, does that mean we have the correct mirror angles for our LHD cars? It sounds that way, but I'm just wanting to be sure.

2. I'm also curious about the actual folding part. I read somewhere that the folding is a little off, with one mirror going farther in and one staying farther out (LHDvsRHD angles?). Can anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
you CAN change the mirrors ... i simply learned to live with the jdm ones. it wasnt the end of the world that objects in mirror are closer than they appear

as for the folding part, i didnt notice any indication of 1 being folded further than teh other side. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
you CAN change the mirrors ... i simply learned to live with the jdm ones. it wasnt the end of the world that objects in mirror are closer than they appear

as for the folding part, i didnt notice any indication of 1 being folded further than teh other side. :shrug:
did you install the JDM mirrors on the USDM base like in the writeup? It seems like that would should fix the RHD/LHD mirror angles thing (sperate from the passenger convex mirror). I think that was the cause of the supposed difference in closing angle.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
looking back through the write-up, I'm getting confused. It says the final assembly includes JDM housing, JDM motor, and USDM triangular base; so why do you have to disassemble the JDM motor from its housing? Wouldnt you just swap the glass and install onto the USDM triangular base? What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
i know this isn't a classified thread but.... if anyone is interested i have a complete setup for sale.

pre wired to an hks turbo timer/relays.... its currently set up to automatically OPEN when car turns on, and CLOSE when car turns off. pm if interested folks

·
Registered
1 Posts
The connector is Yazaki
The male pin p/n is 7114-1470 (door harness connector)
The female pin p/n is 7116-1473 (mirror harness connector)

YAZAKI Connectors Catalog
YAZAKI Connectors Catalog

Unfortunately mouser.com doesn't carry Yazaki
I have some male mirror connectors (Yazaki 7114-1470). Working on getting the terminals for the bulkhead connector right inside the door. I already have the pins for the mirror switch inside the cabin. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but if anyone reading this can help I'd really appreciate it!

I recently installed the JDM Power Folding Mirrors in my 08 STi and the EasyCar Autofold module..So the mirrors would fold in/Out when the car was locked/unlocked. Everything has been working fine for approx 2 weeks, until I hit the "Fold In" button by accident while I was waiting at a light. The mirrors moved slightly and then stopped suddenly. After a little digging, I found that the fuse for the Door Locks had blown. The wiring for the Autofold unit is tied into the Door Lock & Unlock Wires, as well as the "Fold Switch" and the Mirrors Folding Motors.

The UNLOCK buttons on the doors or Key Fob will not cause the problem, only the LOCK buttons (doors/fob) AND or if I push the "Mirror Fold" button on the JDM Mirror Switch. So I guess I know the issue lays somewhere between the Door Lock Wire/The Autofold Unit & the switch..but I just can't seem to figure out what/why the lock fuse keeps blowing.

I need some help or insight as to what may be causing this problem and where to look. I WAS super proud that I was able to wire this all up myself and that it was actually working, but now I'm just frustrated. Luckily the Mirrors are folded out, so i guess thats a positive! lol

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
  • Please note this is my first write up/tutorial please dont criticize...
  • Warning... Attempt at own risk... i will not be held responsible for damage caused to you or your vehicle
***Also please be aware that the drivers mirror will not fold in the same amount as the passenger side mirror, if you follow my tutorial... the reason for this is due to the differences between the angles of the JDM and USDM Side Mirrors... i chose to go this route basically to keep my side mirrors in full functional order... you can skip a bunch of my steps if you dont use your side mirrors while driving... :D
Many thanks for this, just stumbled across thanks to Google!
I've got a similar job to do for my Bugeye, although I'm in the UK so the JDM mirrors are facing the right way for me. My complication is that I need to swap the shells as my car is 95h not 02c! so just as much wok I think. Once apart I'll see if I can also use the UK spec mirrors and retain the heaters.

The UK spec connectors are different too, but I have the female tails with the mirrors and the colours of the wires are the same as in your pics and the wiring diagram for the RHD spec cars :)

I'm also fitting a rear glass set and the wash/wipe, I could post up a howto if anyone's interested

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some progress on my installation last weekend - I had the centre console out to run a DAB aerial into the head unit, so while the mirror switch was accessible I swapped the stock one for the JDM and checked that the mirror up/down and left/right still worked - check. I got the JDM loom connector for the switch so I removed the pins with the wire tails from it and re-pinned them to the UK spec harness. I now have the black/yellow and black wires ready to connect to the fold motors once they have been rebuilt.

I'm going to check the JDM mirrors will fold by connecting the fold wires to the switch tails directly. No point in taking them apart if they are faulty. They should be okay though, the breaker is a good one :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
So at the weekend I made a start on the mirrors. First off a practice with an old damaged left hand mirror. Remember all my mirrors are Bugeye, RHD, stock and JDM, so some differencees from the OP's mirrors, especially once inside them. Once the glass was out (lots of heat gun and a small pry tool) it revealed the heating element. These bond to the mirror back with adhesive just around the edge, so come away from the glass quite easily.

here's all the bits laid out showing the wires feeding the heater element

So, on to the real thing. First the power fold motors were tested and all good, so soon I ended up with this little lot on the lawn (figured it would not damage the paint etc on the mirrors)

Squirty bottle of WD-40 was invaluable for getting the three bots out the hold the mirror body to the triangular bracket, 5 mins soak seems to weaken the threadlock making removal a lot easier.

You can see I have cut the connectors off both the JDM and UK spec mirrors. This is because the connector will not fit though the hole on the triangular bracket, so I could net get the internals out of the shells to swap them over. At this point I decided to rewire the hybrid UK JDM assembly with the UK plug - only wanted to have to join up 1 set of wires.

To get the heater wires out from the mirror assembly into the car I had to remove the top of the fold motor housing to thread the wires down with the others

So the bits were put back together noting that there is also a bit of a gotcha with the wiring. There are a pair of commoned wires on each side, on the RHS its the blue and yellow wires, on the LHS green and black. There does not seem to be any standard way in which this is done, sometimes in the harness, sometimes at the plug with both wires fixed to the same pin.

The UK plug was wired up to the JDM Up/Down and Left/Right wires, plus the UK heater element feeds. The fold wires were left separate to be connected up with 1.5mm bullet connectors once they arrive. You can see where I joined the blue and yellow wires from the motor unit to the single blue wire from the connector.

Here's the driver mirror all back on the car, you can see the fold wires waiting to be connected up.

The other side was a lot easier as I knew what to to. So hopefully next weekend I can wire up the fold motors and job done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So next I tackled the wiring up of the power folding mirrors.

Not for the faint hearted, oh no. remember I have added an extra pair of wires to the mirrors for the fold motors as I've retained the heating elements on the glass.

Looking at the flexible rubber covering to the wires running between car and door the inevitable hit me. The doors have to come off..

Reason? so that it could be straightened out to get a suitable stiff wire through from one side to the other. So. door card off, mirror off so that it did not get damaged and then off with the door. A small cut was made in the rubber sheath at the door end behind the seal where it attaches to the door and a nice long meat skewer threaded through

the two wires were taped to the end

and pulled through

The same skewer was used to then get the wires through to the necessary part of the inner door to then feed up to the mirror connector

The wires were taped to the loom at the other end and terminated with bullet connectors and the door refitted, which was fiddly and needed the assistance of #1 son to help get it aligned.

Mirror back on and more bullet connectors completed that bit

So, now to get to the switch!. The most direct route was down the sill and under the front seat where the rear blower ducts are. So, seat out and the wires were run along the sill

under the carpet (only half way there in this pic)

and then into the centre console where temporary connections were made to prove it all works. Which it did
:)

Driver's side another weekend, I'd had enough by that point!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts