IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
* Please note this is my first write up/tutorial please dont criticize...
* Warning... Attempt at own risk... i will not be held responsible for damage caused to you or your vehicle
***Also please be aware that the drivers mirror will not fold in the same amount as the passenger side mirror, if you follow my tutorial... the reason for this is due to the differences between the angles of the JDM and USDM Side Mirrors... i chose to go this route basically to keep my side mirrors in full functional order... you can skip a bunch of my steps if you dont use your side mirrors while driving... :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** In this tutorial... i will show you how to wire the mirrors with the jdm mirror switch and/or a separate toggle switch****

Required Materials:

1. Phillips Screwdriver
2. Plastic Panel removal tool
3. Wire Strippers
4. Solder and Electrical tape
5. 18-20 awg wire
6. Heat Gun
7. Wire Crimpers
8. Goop/ Double-sided tape/ epoxy
9. JDM POWER FOLDING MIRRORS
10. JDM Mirror Switch
11. Mini Pick Tool
12. Dremel or drill with drill bit

***Optional***
1. 2 Relay packs SPDT
2. a (3-Position) SPST Toggle switch

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Remove Door Panels/ Door Cards

First pop off the triangular panel on the inside top corner of the door...

Remove the door handle trim... pull on the door handle and slide the panel tool on inside of the bottom of the trim and it will pop out the first clip...

Then slowly work the panel tool around the inside portion of the door handle trim until the entire trim ring is out...

Next, with a mini pick tool, pop the plastic screw cap on the inside of the door handle and remove the first screw... then pop out the window/door lock switch panel and unplug and set aside...

With the switch/panel off there is another screw, its gold, remove that and your door panel/door card should pop off... to begin, slide the plastic panel tool on the bottom of the door card and work around the entire door panel until all the pop tabs have been disengaged...

2) Remove the Side Mirrors

If you have power mirrors... first unplug the harness for the mirrors... then remove (4) screws securing the mirror to the door i have circled them in the picture below... (3) are gold and (1) is black...

After removing the screws the mirror should pop right off...

3) Disassemble the USDM and JDM mirrors

If you plan on using the JDM mirrors you have to remember that JDM cars are RIGHT HAND DRIVE and the angles on the mirrors and the mirror style are completely reversed... so first we have to disassemble our USDM mirrors...

With the heat gun in hand heat up the mirror for about 15min on med heat making sure not to hold the heat gun in a single area.... then GENTLY slide the pry tool on the inside trim of the mirror and work around it till the mirror comes out...

Now remove (3) screws securing the triangular base to the main body... and also remove the screw securing the mirrors base to the main body... be aware that there is also a spring that goes around the threads of that screw... see image below...

Now you need to remove the motor from the main body... this comes off with (8) screws circled in the picture below...

With the screws out, carefully slide the harness through the triangular base and through the case of the main body... and you should have everything out...

...Now do the exact same thing to the JDM mirrors...

4) Reassembly the hard part....:mad:

If you dont believe me you can compare the two braces of the mirrors... you can clearly see the angle differences between the two...

Also, by looking at the different angles of the triangular bases...

What were gonna have to do is enlarge the hole size for (1) of the holes on the USDM Triangular base... with your dremel in hand carefully begin to enlarge the hole so that the USDM Triangular bases lines up with the Mainbody of the JDM Mirror

With all that said and done and everything lines up and everything is secured, reassemble the entire mirror. It should consist of: USDM Triangular Base, JDM housing, JDM Motor, and now the USDM Mirror. To apply the mirror with use 3M double sided molding tape or goop... whatever adhesive you choose... i used a combination of 3m tape and silicone. Gently heat up the mirror and the base and apply a little bit of pressure for maximim adhesion. everything should look like this...

NOW DO THE SAME FOR THE OTHER MIRROR....

5) Attaching the Open and Close Wires

Now that the mirror is assembled, reinstall the new mirror on to the door and run the harness back to its original location on the door... Notice that there are now to extra wires on the harness: Brown/Red and Grey.

***** Brown/Red is the "Closing" wire and Grey is the "Opening" wire****

How you attach the wire is up to you... I took 18awg wire and attached pins to the ends and re-pined the factory female end...

Again how you run the wire is completely up to you... I ran my wires through the door and through the door jam... then ran the wires to the center console where my factory Mirror Switch is... When you have both sets of wires ran, you can do 1 of 2 things: Wire the mirrors up to the JDM mirror switch or if you dont have the switch you can wire up 2 relay packs to a toggle switch.

A) With the JDM Mirror Switch

This is the easiest way to do it, since the factory switch already has 12V switched and a relay pack already ran to the fuse box. When looking at the factory female Power Mirror Harness with the release tab facing up... the far right to pins have missing wires. These slots are for the "Opening" and "Closing" wires. All you need to do is tie the (2) "Opening" wires from the Right and Left Sides into (1) wire and pin it to the top end of the factory female harness on the mirror plug and do the same for the "Closing" wire on the bottom slot of the factory female harness. Plug in the JDM switch making sure the male pins from the switch and the female pins on the harness are making contact. Try them out and give yourself a pat on the back and have a beer and enjoy the JDM GREATNESS.

B) Wiring with 2 Relay packs and a 3 Position Toggle Switch

This is another way to wire up the mirrors. It is a bit more tedious but it will get the job done. The reason for (2) relay packs is 1 is for the Opening Circuit and the other is for the Closing Circuit. The 3-Position switch is to provide a "Close - Rest - Open" operation. Follow my wire diagram below and find a location for the switch.

Try them out and give yourself a pat on the back and have a beer and enjoy the JDM GREATNESS.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
What did you actually use to get in between the glass mirror and the plastic piece?

I just got prova mirror overlays however I refuse to stick them overtop of the mirrors because they don't sit flush...

My plan was to do what you did and remove the stock mirror and then use 3m windo weld and put them in place... that way they sit flush and look OEM... Just wondering how you got the tool inbetween the mirror because honestly I am looking at mine now and I don't see how I can stick anything between the mirror or even get ANYTHING to try and pull it away after using a heat gun...

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
867 Posts
has anyone actually wired these to like a 05+ sti switch. im having issues getting them to fold in and out. It will fold out but then wouldnt fold in....

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
^^^ good luck doing that richy. the 05+ switch lives on the drivers side door card, the jdm version is on the center console near teh e brake .... thats gonna be a pita to wire up. do what i did, just wire up to a turbo timer :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
done this to a 05 sti....the wiring is already at the loom block in each side footwell...run one wire from left side to right will operate the folding action.....should have done a few photos....great mod !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed these last night. This is one of the sickest mods. I’ve wanted to do this since 98 on the RS. Guess I should have done a little more research on the loom blocks before removing the doors to run new wires to the doors. Good thing about 05s is that the jdm mirror base fits straight onto the usdm door. So you don't need to take apart the mirrors or cut any plastic, just swap the glass.

Where are all of you getting your toggle switch from? I'll probably order from here if nobody is selling locally:
http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=&dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&VOLKEY=170-065-001

For now I just overloaded this switch: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/233382-diy-install-rocker-switch-next-ic-water-spray-switch.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is it possible to do this if I have heated mirrors? Basically I would want both the folding action but keep them heated. Anyone ever do this?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts