IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FS: Image Dynamics 5.25 inch co-axial Model CTX-5

Took my baby to a VERY capable shop just days after picking her up last week. Did the full package, minus video.

Here are the "work in progress" pictures:

Here we have the trunk, and the jack bracket cut away to make room for a custom fiberglass sub enclosure on the left.

Here we have the messy beginnings of said sub enclosure. Obviously, it will look more like the finished product once more layers are applied.

A broad shot of the car in the shop with many stages of the system being installed. (Note the mess of wire pouring out of the passenger footwell.)

Installation of the Premier DEH-P940MP head unit was simple and fast. And I love how it sits in the DIN spot. ;)

Rear seat removed, and my God. I didn't realize that structural brace was standard issue. :eek:

In the bundle of wire we have 2 sets of Monster XLN Pro RCA interconnects and speaker wire that will be run to the two amps in the trunk. (The 4 gauge power line was already run and is not visible in the picture)

More to come as soon as I get home and upload the remaining pictures. :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Damn Yukon, you didn't waste ANY time did you?!? I'm getting that exact head unit for my STi(arriving this month!), looks good in your car! I can't wait to see what the finished product will be.

***oh before I forget, is $497.99 a good price for a brand new DEH-P940MP??

-STiLL

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an excellent price. Got mine back in April for just over $600. :p

Don't worry. . . more pictures in less than two hours. :D

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here we have the meat and potatoes of the stereo system. Diamond Audio 600 watt and 1200 watt amps, 1 fahrad capacitor, distribution block and 200 amp fuses.

Here's how the back end of the sub enclosure turned out. Nice tight fit, and well-shaped to maximize the use of available space.

Here we have the front end of the enclosure and mounting ring fabricated.

And here we have the finished product. Flushed-in and carpeted to the existing trunk liner for that factory look. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
i also did this...but into the main fuse panel...

Very nice set up. The trunk fit is tight. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
How did they mount the board for the amp? Is that why they had to remove the backseat? How thick is the board? Sorry for all the questions, but I am planning on doing my own installation and that is how I was planning on installing my amps.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys. Radar, this is just about it for a while. . . probably do JDM fogs and Defi gauges then call it good until the springtime. :p

Chris, it's the Premier 940 . . .and since that particular piece was sold online, the only thing I have is the 2-year mfr's warranty. The amps sub and speakers all carry an extended warranty through the shop.

If you take out your back seat (about 6 bolts) you'll notice a black waffle barrier of thin plastic. It's very lightweight, and I think just covers the back of the seat. Take that out, use as a template, and cut some 1/4" plywood to make a very sturdy (and not very heavy) backing for mounting amps, etc to.

So far I'm very happy with the way things turned out. I can't take the credit, though. . . was professionally done. I just like to document to show people how it's done, and to send business in the direction of my installer. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've seen a lot of 'built into the side of the trunk' custom sub installs before and I've noticed that more often than not.. there's no grille on the sub.. why?

As long as your trunk always stays empty it's no problem.. but how can you actually ever use your trunk without risking damage to the sub if you leave it in there with no protection?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep

wrxtc said:
I've seen a lot of 'built into the side of the trunk' custom sub installs before and I've noticed that more often than not.. there's no grille on the sub.. why?

As long as your trunk always stays empty it's no problem.. but how can you actually ever use your trunk without risking damage to the sub if you leave it in there with no protection?
I guess that all depends on how one chooses to use their trunk. Do I sometimes haul stuff home from Costo? Yes. Do I sometimes haul groceries home from the store? Yes. Do I go to the hardware store and haul home a bag full of nails? Usually not. I'm 99.99% of the time very careful about how I pack my trunk . . .with or without a sub.

Quetion is, how can ANY of us consciously pack our trunk in such a manner that could damage my sub, if we plan to drive our cars the way they were designed? (Hard into corners, etc)

Personally, I take great care at all times to make sure everything that IS in my car is properly secured when I drive. When I plan to haul something in the back, it's usually in a nice box, etc. It would take quite a bit to damage a Diamond Audio M6 subwoofer, anyway.

I do not typically haul things around in my car, other than people. When travelling, luggage goes back there. . . .usually in the form of duffle bags and the like. If someone's that concerned about their equipment being damaged from daily use, then I'm sure they'll worry more about putting a grill on the sub and some kind of cover on the amps. . . or put an amp under each seat. (But there's not that much room for nice-sized amps under the seats)

So, one way to answer your question, TC. . . is to say that most people who opt for this method are usually audio affectionados who pay a lot of attention to their equipment, and how they treat it. Many are also into showing their car, which means their trunk is seldom, if ever, used. I went for a nice blend, myself. Beautiful install, out of the way, and it sounds amazing. Being a person who pays great attention to detail, damage to my equipment is not something I would likely ever allow to happen. :D

Bit . . . Total bill for alarm (top of the line) and install of the components, as well as custom sub enclosure . . . . is in the neighborhood of about $3000 or so. The amps, deck, changer and wires I already owned. :wink:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LL Bean has STi stuff...

Indeed. . .. the box itself was quite expensive. But when you consider it weighs mere ounces (compared to many, many pounds of fiberboard) and it's molded to take up as little space as possible, it's well worth it to me. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are the amps connected to an amp board or are they just attached to the thin board that is behind the seats? If it's on a board, how did you attach it?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are mounted to a piece of 1/4" (I think) plywood. There is usually a piece of plastic shaped like that behind our back seats. Take the seat out, and use that as a template for making an amp board. :D

I'll take a look. I think my installer may have just sandwiched it behind the seatback. . . as the seatback is bolted in place, anyway.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
are you going to have a screen or guard? looks like something could easily slide in your trunk and smash it... very sweet setup tho!

Robert~

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ldivinag said:
have any pixs of how that amp wall was mounted to the car? maybe shots with the rear seats taken out?
I can do that myself. . . I'll just take the seatback out in a day or so and post the pictures. :p

Static. . . . The way the driver is positioned, it's actually not all too easy to damage it. I'll take a few pictures with things in there to illustrate. :D

At some point, I MAY try to fit a screen. . . but Diamond Audio subs weren't really designed to work with any kind of grille.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts