IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kozo - "That Thong" song...

I have been reading around this forum for some time now. I have previously owned a wrx but sold it due to my displeasure with its overall packaging. Now I kind of regret it and awaiting the 05's to be released where I will be first in line. Anyhow to digress, I see a lot of people on here asking questions about mods and what companies are best suited to their needs. It is very easy for someone to push their products and ideas on some uneducated power hungry consumers. I do not disagree with some "packages" people are offering, but i do have some comments on people quest for high hp cars. Let it be known I have owned/maintained 2 very high hp applications, a 95 b20/vtec t-66 integra with an accel dfi, and a 92 awd laser with a 60-1 and aem. aobviously there were contless other mods done but im not going to list. My comment is this, if you want big hp, you will have to pay a premium, and along with that premium does come decreased longevity. I dont think when we look back, people will say this motor is comparable to say a 2jz or a 4g63t in terms of high boost levels on stock blocks, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, from what i gather to make a high hp sti, which i will undoubtedly do because once you have driven a fwd car that dynos at 530 whp you miss it, or my laser that laid down a conservative 425 whp. here is my recipe for hitting elusive numbers
big turbo- 62-1/t66/t70 (im a turbonetics fan)
big front mount- definately a spearco unit, tried and true
injectors/fuel pump/regulator-im a fan of aeromotive stuff and rc injectors
ecu- aem will make an ems or accel dfi or electromotive tec3 (crank trigger is sick)
exhaust work-custom i like kooks, they use burns collectors and do many top fuel cars, they know theyre shit, either 3.5" or a 4" settup, think mini supra :)
clutch/flywheel-im a fan of tilton, not sure if they'll make an application for the sti, but custom can always be ordered
axles-gotta go with the driveshaft shop
lsd-quaife and they have a sick warranty anf good customer support
turbo acc's-tial is the name to trust something big like a 46mm gate and a 50mm blowoff
monitoring-stack inc is a great way to keep your motor vitals safe
internal-if you go this far-portflow head, custom crower cams, darton sleeves, je pistons and pauter rods (bulletproof)

i have def left some stuff out, but bottom line is , THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX PEOPLE, cmon dont take one companies word for things, piece yourself together the best components and your motor will thank you down the road, sorry for the long post, just wanted to add my 2 cents on this whole modification theory

derek

·
Registered
348 Posts
gonelaxin,
First of all, where do you get the idea that people here are taking "one companies [sic] word for things"? I am doing a heck of a lot of research on the products I by, as I am sure many of the people on here are. I am not, however, smart enough to buy unproven equipment and 'make it work'. I have to rely on data and information from other people in order to make my decisions.

Can you point me to someone who has tested any of these products of you list on an STi (interested mainly in exhaust, turbo, FMIC, and ECU at the moment)? That would be much more of a help than coming on here and basically coming across as telling us the products we are buying are garbage.

BTW, the vast majority of people on this board (including me) have absolutely no interest in anything more than about 400 whp.

·
Registered
949 Posts
personally, i am looking for approx 400 whp, while maintaining some of the characteristics i like most about the stock set-up, and improving on a couple areas. for ex, i would like more top-end power without sacrificing an increase in lag.
there is something to be said for both sides of the coin here:
piecing together a custom machine can, i'm sure, be truly rewarding and unique if you have the budget, knowledge, patience, and time to do all the work that many manufacturers/tuners have already sunk into their own products.

purchasing entire staged packages, or whatever you wish to call them, can be the exact solution that many people (possibly myself) are looking for.
i somehow believe that aps's turbo, exhaust, intake, ic's and engine management will function as advertised. granted, their parts are on the expensive side, but i have not heard much negative feedback regarding quality.
same goes for dan @ godspeed... i'm pretty confident that his upcoming packages will deliver just as his first 2 did. (and @ a cheaper price than many tuners)
easystreet seems to be having a fair amount of success in the wrx field as well.
the list could go on....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
personally, i am looking for approx 400 whp, while maintaining some of the characteristics i like most about the stock set-up, and improving on a couple areas. for ex, i would like more top-end power without sacrificing an increase in lag.
there is something to be said for both sides of the coin here:
piecing together a custom machine can, i'm sure, be truly rewarding and unique if you have the budget, knowledge, patience, and time to do all the work that many manufacturers/tuners have already sunk into their own products.

Dan @ Godspeed is putting together a GT35R kit right now. He said approx 500whp is possible, easy. As for the rest of us who just want more top end power without sacrificing our engines, He has a GT30R and GT25R. I hope to do the GT25R as it would probably spool up EVEN FASTER then stock and yet gain 50whp++ (350whp - 400whp im sure). That and its dual ballbearing so it will last a long time and have fast spool.

purchasing entire staged packages, or whatever you wish to call them, can be the exact solution that many people (possibly myself) are looking for.
i somehow believe that aps's turbo, exhaust, intake, ic's and engine management will function as advertised. granted, their parts are on the expensive side, but i have not heard much negative feedback regarding quality.
same goes for dan @ godspeed... i'm pretty confident that his upcoming packages will deliver just as his first 2 did. (and @ a cheaper price than many tuners)
easystreet seems to be having a fair amount of success in the wrx field as well.
the list could go on....
Ya man, we will not be dissapointed, by the car's 1st birthday (from when it was released), we will have the capability to go from 350-500whp :) - this summer. Dan will even provide maps and such for those who buy his Emanage, and hopefully those who buy the UTEC from him :). So definitely some good stuff coming.

Robert~

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow you guys are tough on this board, i was not insulting, degrating, ot implying that anyones companies suck. that being said, i was merely pointing out that there are other options out there. i see a lot of the same vendors here on this board, and i just wanted to point out that there is other stuff to be had and other ways at acheiving power. i find it rather harsh for someone to try and jump on me for telling this forum to think outside the box. did anyone ever imagine you could lay down 900 whp from a 1.8 liter b series, 1100 whp from a 2 liter ecotec, seriosuly folks im just saying for the poeple that crave real power, a high hp sti could be created now. there is no need to wait for people to figure out engine management or port wastegates and crap. if you spent 30k on the car and can mod it comfortably, there is no need to go with one particular companies products, piece together your own, that is all im saying, and if you dont agree with me which you definately dont have to do, who cares, im just offering my opinion. when my sti is done and yours is done, we can compare and share ideas, for the last time all i was giving was my opinion. ) cheers

·
Registered
949 Posts
i wasn't disagreeing with you,
maybe you were referring to elucas's post?
personally i am all for researching other options that may be available.
i think the concern of many is: what subaru experience does any vendor/tuner have?
products that are great for hondas may not always be the best option on a subaru, toyota, ford, etc
i for one have fairly conservative goals and my main concern is reliability, drivabiltiy, and affordability.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude i defintaly dont want to start an arguement, i was just offering my opinion. while more conservative gains would benefit from maybe aps, godspeed, vishnu, vivd, etc, there are other options out there. and as far as the honda comment goes. when people first started putting dfi on turbo hondas, people thought that was crazy. facts do not lie, dfi for example is a much better unit (while more expensive and requiring custom wiring harness) than utec, e-manage, unichip, etc. go to their website and look at the dfi features www.mrgasket.com, follow the link for dfi, you can im me at gonelaxin on aol if anyone wants to discuss settups, i love talking cars, thats why im here

·
Registered
949 Posts
I only chose to use honda because u mentioned them.
other than the original reply, i don't think anyone has taken your info as being hostile or argumentative.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and im not being hostile either, in the words of the immortal rodeny king, cnat we all just get along :) but on a side note, i was a honda guy, still am at heart, but you cant doubt hondas when they consistantly make 350 whp at 10 psi

·
Registered
348 Posts
gonelaxin -
whether you meant to or not, you came across as an arrogant ass (at least to me). You come on to this forum (first post, mind you) and basically say that no one here knows what their doing when modding their STi. You are suggesting we don't follow what tuners like Godspeed, Vishnu, APS, and TurboXS do (even though they are all proven tuners with a few years experience with WRX's). Instead, we should take your advice (with no data on Subarus) and use untested parts. Like I said, I, along with most people on this board, do not have the skill, time, patience, or money to do this. That is what the tuners are for. There are enough tuners out there that we can pick and choose what we want on our cars.

Apparently, you think that everyone who has an STi wants a 1000 hp dragster. In the 5 months I've been here, I haven't heard one person mention anything about wanting 1000hp out of their STi. I think that is because most people realize that if that is what they wanted, they would've bought a Cobra.

So, please, choose your words more carefully next time. The tuners put an awful lot of time, money, and effort into their projects for you to come in here (with no Subaru experience) and bad mouth people for following their proven performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you cant be serious dude, i am not going to even reply to your asinine, immature, disrespectful repsonse, go reread my original post, and see where i was bashing any company, dissing any member, or saying i was a god. People like you are the ones who deserve to be labeled an asshole, im sorry to say it, but bro you jumped the gun on this one. I hope you void your warranty, break something, and get screwed by the dealer. If you disrespect me, expect it back. Once again, reread my post, never once did i say that the companies dont know what they are doing. Companies main goal is to make money period. I was just presenting other viable options since I have not seen anyone post about high hp sti's and their future. But believe me friend, I am not malicious, arrogant, or hostile. You are the one that got loud with me for presenting my own opinion on modding an sti. Give it up, take a look in the mirror, and swallow the angry pill.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
before some moderator locks this post, if you have a problem with me aol im me anytime at gonelaxin. I will be glad to discuss cars and mods in a civil manner, without this angry tension that some choose to take out over the computer :) Cheers, have a good one, look forward to some netertaining convo

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
First off, this post is not meant in anything but a conversational tone.

I think the reason people reacted the way they did was for a couple reasons:

1. It did sound slightly arrogant because it seemed to imply that all the people working on kits have not been doing research. I know you didn't mean it that way, but at first it kind of struck me that way too,

2. The sti is actually very well and carefully tuned by subaru already. It's not a car that you can just throw junk in and find yourself with extra hp and maintain driveability without great care. A lot of people throw a part in that they think will give them better hp and wind up with problems. This car clearly needs engine management with a lot of the modifications and the engine management solutions are still not mature yet for this car.

You can't just take what works on another car and assume it will work on the sti as in many cases it does not. It just seems funny for someone who hasn't even turned the ignition key on an sti to suddenly know what will and will not work on this car, as even tuners are finding out the hard way that you have to test the heck out of it and figure out what will work and what will not.

The second point is probably the main reason people reacted as they did. Many of us here are not the types to mess with a really well designed car until the kinks in the upgrades have been ironed out and others have found the potential problems for us. I don't need a rolling laboratory of aftermarket add-ons, personally. And as pointed out, many want mild gains to keep driveability and reliability. I'll be happy with an additional 40 - 50whp myself.

Regards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i am going to the post i started. i dont think mixing and matching idea was what i meant. and i ahve driven a friends sti, so technically i turned the ignition. thirdly i own an awd car from 92 that will hands down beat a stock sti, and ive owned it/maintained it for 2 years as a daily driver with no problems. formulas for producing hp dont change, its that simple. whether it be all motor, turbo, sc, nitrous etc. i will say this, lets be hypothetical for a second lets pretend we have an sti that we can throw a bunch of parts on.
wire it with an accel dfi unit, have a custom header bent, 3.5" exhaust, big t4 (60-1 or a sc67) turbo with a tial 46mm gate, tial blowoff valve, some large injectors, an aeromotive eliminator pump and regulator, some -8 lines, a new set of quaife lsd's, a new set of axles from the driveshaft shop, you're telling me that that formula wont work, go one step futher do some block work, je pistons, pauter rods, acl bearings, arp head studs, etc, maybe a portflow head, etc to go to the extreme. but lets see price wise assuming you run a stock longblock
ecu-2200 with tuning and install
exhaust work-1600
fuel system-900
lsd-1500
axles-800
turbo-800
turbo acc's-650
etc, etc, etc
that is a high price, but ya know cheaper, smaller stuff can be substituted. all im saying is the formula that a 4g63 takes in essence is the same as a b18 takes, which in turn is the same as a 2jz takes, same as a sr20det, same as a rb26tt, etc, the subaru is the same. if u want the sti to stay like a bpu car, fine, i am referncing this stuff because someone will want to crack, 500-600-700-?800 at the wheels out of the ej25. im not saying that to get this power every single car form diff manufacturers is the same, but it all follows the same formula, go read maximum boost by corky bell, it'll give you some insight, if you want 40-50 whp, get an ecu and a turboback exhaust, that should be fine, but people will want and will get more power. ive extracted big hp gains at conservative boost levels from every car ive owned, crap i had a pontiac sunfire with 11:1 comp and nitrous that made power with a level 10 tranny, im saying ive built many diff cars and had the same results by sticking to the same basic formulas, thats it. sorry if i offened anyone, maybe i should go on the evo board and talk to them, cuz we all know the 4g63 is making crazy power in stock trim, why wont anyone in here embrace other ideas. it seems like everyone wants to jump donw my throat because i stated some things that people disafreed with. dont read my post, dont listen to me, i know nothing i guess. but i am the one with 1000 hp sitting in front of my house thats been running for close to 3 yrs now, but hey i know nothing. and dont forget ive owned a wrx that had a few tricks done to it. so im not in the dark when it comes to subarus. jeex people dont be so mad at me, im not bashing anyone except that elucas guy, and have never disrespected a single company saying their products are inferior. sorry for the rant im out gonna go load my 100 octane map and play with my integra, cheers

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
i need a source for "switched" + power ...

You didn't read a word I said, did you? Your skill at missing the point is second to none. :lol:

·
Registered
348 Posts
gonelaxin -
I posted in the calmest manner possible. I did not write than in anger, at all. If you can't take criticism, then don't dish it out (i.e. come on here telling us how all we do is listen to one vendor and how we need to think outside the box, when you can't accept that you came across as an arrogant ass). If you think I was mean, try posting the same thing on nasioc and see what you get. Search for all my posts here and on nasioc, and you will see that I never bash what people have to say. But, when you come on here with your arrogant tone, that is irritating. If you can't see that, then there's not much else I can do for you.

You could really do us all a favor and get an STi, add these mods, then provide us hard data as to the performance increase (reliability data would be good, too). BTW, I am interested in adding most of the things you list - turbo, FMIC, ecu, exhaust, header, fuel system. But, I prefer to go with parts tested by trusted tuners - GT30R turbo (once the evil tuner [email protected] designs a drop in), APS FMIC, UTEC (ECU), GT-Spec headers, Godspeed dowpipe and blitz catback). I believe the GT30 turbo is bigger than the one you mention (T4), but I could be mistaken. I would also like to know why you think the STi's LSDs are inadequate and need replacing.

Again, you seemed to have gotten off on the wrong foot here. How about a constructive post next (e.g. why do the STi's LSDs need to be replaced)?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I guess my point is that if it was as simple as gonelaxin says, all the vendors with WRX kits would have just moved them over to the sti and called it good, but it doesn't work that way.

You could go nuts and dump all that stuff in right now, but then you'd most likely sacrifice a lot of your streetability and reliability. It sure wouldn't be a daily driver, in all likelihood. The reason the tuners are taking their time is they are waiting on plug'n'play engine management and they are also testing for the best combinations of power, reliability, and streetability.

Besides, I rarely listen to anyone who comes in and announces that they are the end-all, be-all of car tuning knowledge. Usually their monster creations turn out to be powerful beasts that break down a lot or are useless for street driving. I figure people who are actually testing mods on our specific car on a dyno and doing the research have more credibility than someone who isn't, but that's just me.

As elucas said, "Can you point me to someone who has tested any of these products of you list on an STi (interested mainly in exhaust, turbo, FMIC, and ECU at the moment)?". I agree because I don't think any of the ECU's mentioned have STi applications right now, nor any of the other components. And without engine management, all that other stuff is useless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blitz Nur Spec R gasket size?

wow all of you guys amaze me. this is nuts, im not saying sti diffs are inadequate, just quaife makes a better unit. im done with this topic, end it, you guys are all right, im wrong, i admit my mistake. i guess im just an idiot, time to hang my head in shame, ill go talk to my honda-tech friends who like to discuss big boost and high hp. bye bye :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
He IS right about some of the basics though.

When you come down to it, an engine is an engine, and you're going to use the same stuff to get it putting out power. The differences will be which parts work best and how they have to be tuned. But the basics are the same.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Of course. But until the vendors he mentioned have sti applications, it's pointless to use them as examples of alternatives to what is actually available. The original post was about alternatives to packages available. I consider alternatives to be stuff you can buy and that has been tested to work with and tuned for the sti. That's all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts