IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, my STi is in the shop. They got all the parts, but apparently missed one so had to place a new order so they car has to be there another 1-2 weeks.

I decided to drive by the body shop where my STi is waiting just to see it's condition considering the bad freezing rain, sleet and snow that st. louis has been getting... and it made me very sad.

I saw a Blue WRX inside one of their garages so i drove up to it and put on my highbeams to look in... but it wasn't mine... so i looked longingly through the cars in the lot... apparently i drove right by it b/c i didn't recognize it until I drove around back and saw the wing...

My STi is sitting outside covered with 1/4" of solid ice on the driver's side, and 3" of snow (probably 6 now, since it started snowing again last night). Apparently, b/c they are still waiting for the extra part, the only took the bumper cover off and didn't put anything new on. So the front bumper and the headlights are removed and since my hood is bent and not closed all the way, it's basically snowing onto my radiator and probably blowing into the engine bay.

:(

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but that is how all bodyshops work. I think all bodyshops are bullsh**. Unless you know the owner really well or someone there that cares enough your car will continue to sit outside. To them it's just a car. Sure it's 30k to you, but the way they look at it is... They don't have room inside the shop but only for cars they are directly working on. Dude, I know exactly how you feel because I've had my car in the shop 2 times from wrecks and both times it sat outside in crap ass weather. All I can say is when you get it back make absolutely sure you go over every little detail of the car. If something is out of wack or not correct take it back to them and demand that it's corrected. Sometimes if the job isn't done to perfection you can take it up with your insurance company and they will rectify it with the bodyshop since it's the insurance company that's looking to get your car back to true value anyway. All in all, once your car has been in a wreck it will never be the same. Maybe I've just had bad luck with the bodyshop I use, but that's just my .02.

I wish you luck with your car man. I really am pissed right now because I hate it when I read or hear stories like this. BTW, when you get it back make sure that all the correct parts are painted the correct color and those that shouldn't be painted aren't. I can't tell you how many cars I see on the road that have had the front bumper painted and the body shop is stupid enough to paint the radiator crossmess on models that OEM have that black. It's ridiculous. I actually went to the mall one day with a friend and we saw a car pull in. I told my friend I'd bet him lunch that that car was in a front end wreck. We asked the person getting out and she was like... "How did you know???"

On a positive side note. My friend had his Prelude in an accident and the shop that did his work put that think back together so well you'd swear it was OEM.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thats f,ed up...tell them to make you car sleep indoors.
When i did my engine swap on my accord my car slept indoors everyday for a few weeks while they waited on parts.
I knew the shop people so the took my car in the shop every night and took it out during the day (to make space available).
hey filbert , I am experiencing the same shit with ice here, i am 10 mins east of stl.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is the STI engine really in the Forester turbo?

Take pictures for your records. I'm sure everything will be repaired to your satisfaction, but a little documentation in case any problems should arise wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good idea. i will take pictures tonight if i can.

I'm not blaming them or anything, I understand that shops have limited space to work in... i'm just saying that it sucks. I'll request that they store it indoors but I'm not gonna give them a ahrd time... don't want them taking it out on my car if I piss them off...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kingmarc63 said:
hey filbert , I am experiencing the same **** with ice here, i am 10 mins east of stl.
10 min east of the city? or the burbs? I'm in chesterfield, work in clayton.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't feel bad about your baby being encased in ice. Parked it is basically hibernating. I was snowed in with several inches of snow, and then freezing rain sealing the car. The potential problem is getting it out of the deep freeze. It took a good half a day using warm water to melt the car out. Scrapers are a no no. I had to melt the ice off of a door to open it and then I could start the car...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, that happened to me in high school... i had to crawl in the passenger side of my car for three days before I got the driver's side open.

Kingmarc, I haven't seen any STi in the city... but then again... I never go to the city... i'm a suburb boy through and through. I've actually only seen 2 STis here... a blue one on 40 and a black one on Mason

·
Registered
694 Posts
FWIW, I had one of "those" experiences at a body shop here in town at one point - they didn't treat my car well, and didn't bother to clean the dirt off the interior fabric after they left car parts sitting on the seats while it was being worked on.

Of course, I raised a fuss - a big fuss - when I got the car back and found scuffed interior panels as well, along with the lock being opened on the glove box (they had the valet key!), etc. Long story short, word got to the owner of the shop about it, through several other people. He wasn't happy that word had gotten around so fast and then got to him. As a result, he raised a fuss with the body shop manager, who called me later that evening to make things right with me.

While it was a bad experience in that case, the result - and the silver lining - is this: they are now the best Subaru body shop in the city, in my opinion. I've yet to have a bad experience there since.

One of those rare experiences which gives us all hope that we can make a difference.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dad called them yesterday to ask about my car (completely independently of my discovery of the car parked outside b/c i never told him) and they told him the car was garaged and had no snow or ice.

So last night I visited again... and they had moved it inside! :) My dad's not the type to put up a stink about it, so I'm guessing it's just b/c he asked about it that they decided to move it in. Either that or they saw me on surveillance tape inspecting the car. :D

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hmm. Even though they did garage it, I would mention to them that you saw it otherwise before. Just to keep them honest, and let them know you don't appreciate being deceived.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Took my car (that I just washed) into a reliable store to have my HU/amp/speakers/alarm installed and they called and told me that my car needed to be kept overnight. Fine I said as long as it is in a garage. When I got there the next day it was covered in road salt and an extra 45 miles on it. :eek:

Needless to say I flipped out on the guy and he was making me more pissed by telling me he did not take the car out. Even after I told him I checked the miles he was still lying to my face. Nothing really I can do except not go back to that place. I even remember what he said when I got there. "Sweet car man, I love it." Yeah, I bet he loved it when he was playing around in it all night. I hate people like that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congrats on getting it moved inside. In any case, you shouldn't feel too bad. A body shop around me handles high end cars (benz, beemer, audi, etc.) and I always see some nice, damaged cars sitting outside until they're up for service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thats why i'm lucky enough to know the owner of a chain of AAA body shops in the philly area. They do very reputable work. But what they can fit inside, they put inside. Usually if work has not been started on a car it will be outside. Of course, there is always special requests to have it inside. An STi will have president over a 97 Taurus. ;) But maybe your bodyshop didn't figure that out??

·
Registered
694 Posts
JerseySTi said:
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Took my car (that I just washed) into a reliable store to have my HU/amp/speakers/alarm installed and they called and told me that my car needed to be kept overnight. Fine I said as long as it is in a garage. When I got there the next day it was covered in road salt and an extra 45 miles on it. :eek:
Did you make sure that you didn't get charged the full amount for the equipment? Seriously. If you did pay the full amount they quoted you, raise a stink with the manager/owner/etc. If he/she/it doesn't care, then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Raise a stink. People like that don't deserve to be in business.

No, I take that back. This is America. People like that have every right to be in business. But they don't deserve to make any money at it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Raise a stink with his boss next time.

And if he doesn't care, try calling the owner of the store/company.

That's a big deal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts