IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mirror swap

i've heard some people say that black is hard to keep clean or dirt is easily spotted on a black and some say silver hides dust and dirt and is always lookin semi clean even if it hasn't been washed for days... are there any advantages or disadvantage on the blue or white exterior color?

·
Registered
4 Posts
1050 miles... car is dead :(

I have a 2000 Cool White Turbo Jetta at the moment, and I have been loving white ever since I have had it. I am getting a White STi at the end of the month, and so far it looks really good. A white car is kinda tough to keep clean, but I am up for the challenge, I travel about half of the year, so it will be in the garage when I am outta town. I like white, and a clean white car is just amazing to me.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
It's not so much keeping a black car clean it's how the paint shows scratches and swirls bad. Like you said dirt is easily spotted on a black car so most people wash it more which actually makes it worse over time by scratching and putting swirls in the paint. By 20k or 30k miles a black car will look like crap. Waxing or buffing out the paint can help but unless you are going to do it after every wash forget it. Also repeated buffing will really take it's toll over time. Silver is about the best for not showing scratches or swirls as easily and white does not fade as easily as other colors provided you take care of it. I think WRB is almost as good a silver for hiding light scratches and dirt because it is sort of metallic and bright.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'll take mine in silver because it is easiest to maintain, hides dirt and scratches really well, as MK4Supra said..
Silver is also low key, iof that's somehting u looking into..
I still think Black car with dark tints and Gold wheels will look AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
My last two cars were black (GSR and Type R) and while I didn't mind washing them every week, they definitely showed lots of swirl marks.

I got the STI in silver and it definitely does not show dirt as badly .. now the wheels, they are a different story ..

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Silver is very easy to keep clean and good looking.....I am very anal about the appearance of my cars, and I never had to use a swirl remover on my silver Celica because the paint always looked so good.

Black....don't go there for a daily driver...that's all I'm going to say about that.

WRB....almost as bad as BLACK actually. It's dark enough to see the clear coat layer clearly. With Zaino, I'm hoping to keep things under control.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
WRB is nowhere near as bad as black. It has enough shine due to the pearl to not make scratches and swirls as easily visible. It is not as good a silver in this area but far from black. In the sun you can not even see the clear bra I had installed.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I disagree. I've had all three, all new from the factory....Chevy black, Toyota silver and Subaru blue. I don't see any pearl in this WRB that people keep mentioning. I see pearl coats on white Maximas and Cadillacs, but I don't see any of that on the WRB.

A black car might show the dirt itself more, but I can see just as much swirl on this WRB as on a black car. Keep in mind this isn't a passing glance, I mean getting down and looking at a car. To the casual eye, poorly kept black may be worse looking, but I can see the damage just as easily on WRB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At first I was signed up for a silver STi. After seeing the white one in person I changed to white. At first I wasn't sure white would be the best choice for me, but after taking delivery, I could not be happier. You do have to clean it often, but I always keep a clean car so no big deal. IMO all the colors look great when they are new. I just like to think a little down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
I disagree. I've had all three, all new from the factory....Chevy black, Toyota silver and Subaru blue. I don't see any pearl in this WRB that people keep mentioning. I see pearl coats on white Maximas and Cadillacs, but I don't see any of that on the WRB.

A black car might show the dirt itself more, but I can see just as much swirl on this WRB as on a black car. Keep in mind this isn't a passing glance, I mean getting down and looking at a car. To the casual eye, poorly kept black may be worse looking, but I can see the damage just as easily on WRB.
What??? Open your eyes. :wink: Look at WRB in the sun, you can't see the pearl, almost like a metallic??? I even noticed it on the way into work today when the sun reflected off the scoop. Someone posted a little while back about the makup of the paints and the JBP and WRP have the same type of components just different colors. Ever notice how the WRB kind of changes color under certain lights at night? It looks sort of blue/purple sometimes. I have owned all colors you mentioned too. Black is black there is no comparing it and I can tell you this WRB is not even close to black. I can just rinse it sometimes and in the sun you can hardly see the water spots. Try doing that with black. The bad thing is with black you don't have to get down and really look at it to see the swirls, if you need to really get down and look at WRB to see them then I am happy with that. The casual glance is where it should not be a major task for it to look good. You get down to just about any color and you will see the swirls.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I haven't seen a touch of this so-called pearl. The silver on my Celica had a metallic look to it and changed colors a little, but it was never called a pearl. When I hear pearl, I see a white car with an obvious blue/purple haze to it. Oh well.

And again....I guess we look at auto finishes differently. When I look at my finish in the sun (pre-Zaino), I could easily see swirl marks from washing and the like. I see nothing like that on colors like white and silver. I did agree with you about the severity of the problem, but swirl is swirl...and I can see it on WRB cars rather easily.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
OK, I agree that pre-waxing my WRB I could see swirls too but after waxing they were not noticable. Now black would be the same but even after a wax job sometimes you can still see it on black. I don't think the pearl is as noticable as it is on white since WRB is blue to begin with. Where I can really see it is at night under certain lights. I first noticed it on a friend's WRB WRX the first nigth he got it and brought it by, we were standing outside at night looking it over and we both commented on how it kind of changes color depending on the angle of the light. I was pretty amazed when I first saw it. It really looked nice. But getting back to the original topic here, I personally don't think WRB is any where near as bad as black. Of course I have not owned WRB long so I will have to see down the road how it looks compared to black.

I did find that paint detail thing I was talking about, WRB is not like JBP but a different black.

BTW, I bet Zaino will make the WRB look amazing. Give it a good coating of Zaino or I should say coatingS and look at it at night. I am sure you will see it then. I wonder if it would show up on a pic. I might have to try taking a pic of mine at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
ah, ha!

Zaino has done an awesome job with the finish. It was very radiant anyway, but it just looks alive now. And it did remove a good deal of the swirl, still a few, but I'm hoping another Z-5, Z-2 combo will take care of that.

I'll have to try and find some different lights at night and try to check out this pearl.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a choice between WRB and silver at our dealership. While I love the colour of the blue, it just had to be silver for me.

I find it a little less flashy, a little more refined (family car), and definitely better at not showing dust. We live two miles off of pavement so gravel is a daily factor.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Autocross tire fitment

Silver is the all time best 'easy care' color. Never shows swirls, never looks dirty....and ALWAYS look good from a distance unless you've been offroad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
F1 drivers choose the sti

silver or white will look better down the road imho. i am a car cleaning freak/fanatic/lunatic and have suffered for the LAST time with a dark car. prior to my 'dark days":) i had white and silver rides. MUCH easier to keep looking new longer. i'll admit that sparkling black or blue looks awesome though. the clear coat on light colored cars scratches/swirls just like dark colors except you really have a hard time seeing it. also, light colored paint doesnt fade as much it seems to me. i got my sti in silver cause it is a little 'subdued' in silver('cept for the bodacious scoop and tail:)!!!lol) and its just plain easier to keep silver lookin good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
stiperformance said:
Nevermind, I see they are strictly available through the web/mail-order.
No you can call them directly,,, which I did today. I talked to Nick, which seems to be a very knowledgeable (sp?) guy. I got the Zaino complete car care kit. I have the WRB and when I picked it up from the dealership 2 wks ago it had swirls on it. He stated that this kit would definitely get the job done. The web site is http://www.zainobros.com. I will update with pics when completed.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm sure everyone's dying to hear my opinion on colors, so I'll oblige:

Black: Nothing looks better when it's clean and shiny, but nothing is harder to keep clean and shiny.
Blue: Almost as hard to keep clean as black, but slightly more forgiving. Classic Impreza color.
Silver: Easiest to maintain, but least exciting: never looks really shiny. Low profile STI? Oxymoron alert.
White: Shows dirt, but pretty easy to maintain otherwise. Usually pretty boring, but looks great on STi.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts