IW STi Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd definitely go with a Dell. I still have a slightly older e1505, and it's fantastic. The screen is amazing...I'm not sure if they still use the same LCD manufacturer for the newer Vostro models. In all honestly, you can get a brand new 15.4" Vostro that meets your qualifications for <$700 pretty frequently.

If you want a 17" screen...probably be prepared to fork out the cash. Although there are some deals for some other brands' 17" models from time to time, they are generally quite a bit more expensive. And pretty hefty to deal with on a regular basis.
I agree with the Vostro 1500 (15.4"). It is an awesome deal. I had the 14.1", but had to return it because I couldn't sell my old laptop. They had a 30 day free return policy when I bought mine. They do offer them with XP if you prefer that and you can easily get one for around $800 with the specs you are looking for.

Some advice, if you upgrade your ram then do it yourself and save like $50.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
My last two have laptops have been Alienware, so I'm not much help but I would say buy whatever extras you can afford. Program requirements will only get more demanding as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Software is not a problem. I am t3h m4s73r Pirate .. .

Which is why I don't care if it runs with Vista or XP or w/e .. I can always change it myself ..

Do you guys know or have any idea if IBM/Fujitsu/Dell/HP and etc is better than the other? I've heard that the IBM-Lenovo Laptops are great laptops that are supposed to alst me a long time. Where as, Dell will **** on me in a couple years just like HP but HP is probably going to outlast Dell.

Also, when I'm purchasing the laptop, will it always be upgradeable to have 2 slots (ram)? Or will I have to choose an upgrade from the manufacturer to be able to have 2 slots available for ram.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The cost is very nice! What I think I'm going to do is either buy a quality IBM/Lenovo or a Dell Latitude and just upgrade the HDD and just use the other one as an external source. I'll also swap out the RAM sticks to a 2GB that I'll find on sale for only $60. Plus, I'm not doing any gaming so I could care less for video cards ... How does this idea sound?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Dude, his is a 13 year old thread. I'm sure whatever laptop the guy got has been long gone 3x over, and he's long removed from college.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts