IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps here in Hoosier land (home of the Super Bowl Champs) has been in the single digits past week or so.

I seem to hear a tic from the right side starting the car cold. Stays until the motor is @ OT & I've run it down the road a bit. So is it:

1.) Bent valve?
2.) Typical valve lash for a motor with 77,000 miles on it?
3.) Typical for the '04 STi when it's really - really - really cold out?

A subjective question, but I'm polling the mob.. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing...my car does that too...its an 06 with 10k

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
IndySTi said:
Temps here in Hoosier land (home of the Super Bowl Champs) has been in the single digits past week or so.

I seem to hear a tic from the right side starting the car cold. Stays until the motor is @ OT & I've run it down the road a bit. So is it:

1.) Bent valve?
2.) Typical valve lash for a motor with 77,000 miles on it?
3.) Typical for the '04 STi when it's really - really - really cold out?

A subjective question, but I'm polling the mob.. :)
How does it run?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
don't push it when its cold. let the car warm up. I dont know if you ahve an oil temp gauge, but be aware that oil temp can lag coolant temp by several minutes. give it a few even after coolant temp stabilizes.(sp?)

probably the tappets/lifters

Don

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Totally normal. If you install a block heater, you'd never hear it. And if you think your's is noisy, let me tell you: a built block with loose forged pistons would scare the piss out of you. Mine sounds like an old diesel at cold start in those kind of temps.

And, Don's advice to give it a little more time to warm up is right on the money. A good rule of thumb (assuming no oil temp guage) is to keep it below 3K until double the time/miles it takes for the water to hit stable temps. Oil takes quite a bit longer to get to normal temps than water.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
520hpSTi said:
Hey fly, what kind of block do you have / what internals?
Nothin / Nothin. It's all stock. That's the kicker!

But when I dream, I keep seein this wacky name, can't figure it out.

What would Freud say about the name 'Cosworth' ???

;)

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
IndySTi said:
Nothin / Nothin. It's all stock. That's the kicker!

But when I dream, I keep seein this wacky name, can't figure it out.

What would Freud say about the name 'Cosworth' ???

;)
:lol: i know you are stock.
fly= flycaster :lol:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
520hpSTi said:
Hey fly, what kind of block do you have / what internals?
Cobb Stage 2: JE pistons set to .004" P-SW clearance and long rods. It's one cold knocker, baby. I'll bet those clearances are more like .006" when it's zero out - it sure sounds like it anyway.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flycaster said:
Cobb Stage 2: JE pistons set to .004" P-SW clearance and long rods. It's one cold knocker, baby. I'll bet those clearances are more like .006" when it's zero out - it sure sounds like it anyway.
Please educate: P-SW = ????

:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts