IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is something that i have been thinking about ever since the cold weather began to settle in. while some drivers are concerned about what to run in thier I/C tanks, i've been thinking about what effect -10 degree air feeding into the hoodscoop will have on the operating temperture of my engine. anyone out there have any input on this scenario?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
your thermostat will stay closed more and your coolant temps will run a bit lower but that is about it.

Remember, Subaru (and all automakers) do LOTS of environmental testing (both hot and cold). Most automotive specs I see go from -50C to +150C.

I wouldnt worry about it just make sure you warm the car up thoroughly before hitting high rpms (this includes warming up the drivetrain for a few miles also).

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kind of what i had thought. but what should be is not always what is. this will certainly make for an interesting topic come springtime. will we be seeing posts from people who got an intercooler full of ice and snow. it would be intresting what our canadian friends have to say on this. i believe in some places up there they've been having blizzards already.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
well I drove my WRX through some of the nastiest snowstorms Buffalo has ever seen (remember when we got 7 FEET of snow in three days??) Never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
crashsti said:
thats kind of what i had thought. but what should be is not always what is. this will certainly make for an interesting topic come springtime. will we be seeing posts from people who got an intercooler full of ice and snow. it would be intresting what our canadian friends have to say on this. i believe in some places up there they've been having blizzards already.
Doesn't really matter to be honest. The ambient air is going to be a ton cooler anyway. If the IC gets jammed up with snow/ice, it will cool down the aluminum even further, and therefore the air charge. Once the engine heats up, it will probably melt. So what is your concern exactly? Maybe I'm missing your point.

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xman gave me the information i was looking for. i have been in snowstorms that have crippled cars. between the extreme cold and heavy snow/ice. my concern was that with having a huge scoop feeding air into the engine compartment that it might be possible for the elements to eventually do the engine in. now while a standard WRX has a smaller scoop the weather in Buffalo can be about as bad or worse than anywhere. if a WRX can survive that then i have no more worries about the winter weather taking its toll on my STi.
Doesn't really matter to be honest. The ambient air is going to be a ton cooler anyway. If the IC gets jammed up with snow/ice, it will cool down the aluminum even further, and therefore the air charge. Once the engine heats up, it will probably melt. So what is your concern exactly? Maybe I'm missing your point.

-st
in reference to this statement. it is possible for for the incoming charge of air to be TOO COLD. the air/fuel mixture can't be too cold for fuel to atomize properly. now this is'nt a problem as much with fuel injection but its possible.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
when i raced at ne dragway it was 31 degrees all day....a guy with a stock silver sti was packing his intercooler with ice.(i'm not kidding) i am a novice at dragging but he beat me by 3/10 of a second. so cold is good.i think? :oops:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
also can mean your a novice driver :lol: just kidding, but why do you think they make nos spryaers for ic's....well becasue so you can cool the intake air charge....colder is better but not too cold then you run hella rich!!

hope my 2 cents helped

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts