IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I'm new to the Forum and new to the STi. I just bought a 08 STi and I called the local Subaru dealership asking about mods. When I asked him about cold air intakes, he suggested I don't go that rout because they have been causing the motors to blow in GD series STi's. Has anyone upgraded their Intakes and had any issues? Or have heard of this happening? I'm looking forward to modding my car, and I'm trying to put a list of stuff together. I just want to keep it simple, nothing to extreme but enough to give it some extra kick, and still stay dependable.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Yeah you can't mod STi's like Hondas where you can put on an intake without tuning. The MAF sensor is very sensitive on these cars so any changes in air flow pattern without calibration will cause the car to run lean. There are intakes out there that are claimed as being "safe without tuning" but it isn't worth risking a blown motor for 10hp and whooshing sounds. That being said, you can put an intake on if you get tuned for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the heads up! I've been looking at some stage 2 and stage 3 upgrade packages from different places. I'm looking for somthing I can do myself, without needing to much assistance from a shop. Crawford performance looks like they have some good packages. But I'll stay away from intakes for awhile, until I learn more about my car.

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
Intakes don't do it. It's crappy tunes that do it. STIs come with crappy tunes so do the math. Your best bet is to go the already recommended route and do the stage 2.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi guys! I'm new to the Forum and new to the STi. I just bought a 08 STi and I called the local Subaru dealership asking about mods. When I asked him about cold air intakes, he suggested I don't go that rout because they have been causing the motors to blow in GD series STi's. Has anyone upgraded their Intakes and had any issues? Or have heard of this happening? I'm looking forward to modding my car, and I'm trying to put a list of stuff together. I just want to keep it simple, nothing to extreme but enough to give it some extra kick, and still stay dependable.

Thanks for the advice!
On one hand....That is odd what your local subaru dealership said to you considering that they endorse and sometimes try to push on you SPT performance parts and they carry the SPT cold air intake that they are always eager to rip you off with and put on your car, maybe that guy who you talked to lacks knowledge on the subject.......On the other hand the guy at the dealership may have just wanted to scare you away from doing mods on the car, but really they have cold air intakes at the dealership so....what's up with that?

·
Registered
139 Posts
On one hand....That is odd what your local subaru dealership said to you considering that they endorse and sometimes try to push on you SPT performance parts and they carry the SPT cold air intake that they are always eager to rip you off with and put on your car, maybe that guy who you talked to lacks knowledge on the subject.......On the other hand the guy at the dealership may have just wanted to scare you away from doing mods on the car, but really they have cold air intakes at the dealership so....what's up with that?
I did not know that there was a SPT cold air intake for the 08s? Plenty of threads on how lean the USA stock tune is, so leaning it out further with a higher flowing intake is likely not a good idea.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I did not know that there was a SPT cold air intake for the 08s? Plenty of threads on how lean the USA stock tune is, so leaning it out further with a higher flowing intake is likely not a good idea.

Well I'm not sure if they have cold air intakes for the '08, I know they have cold air intakes for the GD body, but my point was that they do carry cold air intakes regardless of which body style and that should show something about what the guy at the dealer was saying being a little hypocritical

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
SPT intakes have shown to be detrimental to performance as well as AFRs in the past. Though I'm not sure if they made the car leaner or richer. Likely they err on the side of richer. But the end result was usually a net loss of power. So it's not exactly hypocritical.

Ultimately, intake replacements are bad for MAF-based Subarus (and some MAP-based ones, but that's another thread for another board) unless they are accompanied with a tune that has proper MAF scaling for the intake. Period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm not sure if they have cold air intakes for the '08, I know they have cold air intakes for the GD body, but my point was that they do carry cold air intakes regardless of which body style and that should show something about what the guy at the dealer was saying being a little hypocritical
Yeah it Is kinda odd that the guy didn't want tell sell a performance part, but if it is harmful to the motor with the stock tune, it's atleast good to know he saved me from harming my car. I think I may just start with a stage 2 tune from either Perrin or Crawford performance and go from there. Any good suggestions on a good stage 2 or 3 tune?

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
An accessport and a protune on a dyno. I wouldn't waist money on the Crawford or Perrin ones. The ones that Cobb offers are good enough until you get it protuned.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
An accessport and a protune on a dyno. I wouldn't waist money on the Crawford or Perrin ones. The ones that Cobb offers are good enough until you get it protuned.
+1

Get a good downpipe or turbo-back exhaust and an AccessPORT with an off-the-shelf Stage 2 tune.

Personally, I'd recommend against anything Perrin, especially their tunes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awsome! Thanks a lot for the replies! This should hopefully get me goin on building up my STi! I'll start with a access port and a TBE and a dyno...

·
Registered
334 Posts
SPT intakes have shown to be detrimental to performance as well as AFRs in the past. Though I'm not sure if they made the car leaner or richer. Likely they err on the side of richer. But the end result was usually a net loss of power. So it's not exactly hypocritical.
True.....I could see it in a way where the guy at the dealership was being more straight out with telling it how it is when it comes to cold air intakes....if I look at it that way then I guess he could be considered honest rather than hypocritical

·
Registered
169 Posts
man, ive been noticing too many sti's with blown motors, and thats worrying me, im seriously considering trading in my 08 for an EVO IX just for the reason i want 400 whp easily and safely, the 4g63 motor is a proven contender, just the transmission is weak, STi's are having too many problems engine wise, if i wanted to do 400 whp on the sti i need to do a WHOLE lot more and more $$$$ i dunno im lost....SORRRY SUBARU

·
Registered
334 Posts
man, ive been noticing too many sti's with blown motors, and thats worrying me, im seriously considering trading in my 08 for an EVO IX just for the reason i want 400 whp easily and safely, the 4g63 motor is a proven contender, just the transmission is weak, STi's are having too many problems engine wise, if i wanted to do 400 whp on the sti i need to do a WHOLE lot more and more $$$$ i dunno im lost....SORRRY SUBARU
I’m not really familiar with Evo’s,…..but I feel like they probably have their fair share of blown motors we just don’t see them as much (or at least I don’t) because I don’t belong to any EVO forums....I feel like regardless of EVO or SUBARU most enthusiasts and forum members who are really into performance push their car pretty hard and sometimes they pop…..I think we have a really skewed view, I would love to hear from someone who spends just as much time on Subaru forums as they do on EVO forums to see if the engine failure disparity between EVO’s and Subaru’s is really that great….just a thought, I could be completely wrong :)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I'm sure a lot of people run the snot out of their cars. Then when they do blow they act like they wernt driving it hard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts